Crankcase ventilation, SAI + k03 inlet size!

nickmk1

Right guys, after a bit of help knocking some questions out!

Ive put my AYP engine into my mk1 golf and have it idling but ive come up with a few issues.

I have no inlet hose to my turbo, only the metal inlet elbow which is a pretty poor design. Ideally i want to get a 90 elbow going to it as i have done away with most things only needing a hole for crankcase ventilation which could be sleeved on.
What size is the inlet hole on it?

Ive read an article in the Vwvortex about getting rid of the standard crankcase ventilation setup, the bloke has set his alternative system such as this:
030.jpg

from http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3111538

I was going to have a catch tank and just vent to air but i read this:
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/common_questions.asp#14

So now im thinking if i connect the catch tank back up to the inlet will i need the pcv in the mix? I will be using the car for some track days so its going to be driven hard in that time.

Also as a consiquence of the above shinaniggans would there be an improvement in flow if i had the hole that originally took a feed from the crankcase breather on the inlet manifold welded or is it lost energy due to the weld never being flat!?

Also looking to get rid of the SAI "combi valve" as mentioned in the article above, would i be ok in just using paper gasket (jeeps use it :S) and some metal to seal the hole thats left as its better than spending out on some worthless bling!

Cheers for any help i realise im asking for alot and my wording is poor!
Nick

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
Also looking to get rid of the SAI "combi valve" as mentioned in the article above, would i be ok in just using paper gasket (jeeps use it :S) and some metal to seal the hole thats left as its better than spending out on some worthless bling!

are you talking about the SAI vacuum pump which is bolted on to the side of the block?

if u are, i am in the process of removing this. a new gasket costs about £1 from SEAT dealer, and im going to make an ally plate up from that and fit it with the new gasket... im sure that will do

sorry i cant help with the other things

Last edited:

nickmk1

I see what you mean, as in to get the same gasket that worked with the pump but with a plate over, funny how the obvious eludes you.
Ill try that out but just use abit of stainless i have lying about :D Cheers!

Gasket Part No. 078 131 120 D according to etos (mentions the allen head bolts are M6's)

Last edited by a moderator:

ttothec

Apr 20, 2006
Reading
yep thats the part, got the gasket here infront of me and has that part number on the bag

im going to make up a plate as soon as i can be bothered!! ive just got the vacuum pipe off it blocked off at the moment :)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
The PCV system is 19mm conenction to the TIP, which is the same off the valve colver.

I have the same setup as the quality image above. lol. Made a conencter from the oil breather under the manifold, removed the PCV valve under there at the same time and blocked its conenction to the manifold as well, 9m iirc.

Run a hose up to the t-piece off the valve cover then to a catch tank and either vent to atmos or run it back to the TIP.

I vent to atmos and have blanked the tip.

nickmk1

I ideally wanted to a return vacuum at the inlet side of the turbo but its just going to be far easier to stick a breather on the catch tank...! Not too sure what ill be missing out but not having the vacuum (vacuum draws the gasses from the top of engine that mess oil up and build sludge but would in turn just be drawn back into inlet..)

Anyone reccommend a catch tank thats cheap and has a drain?!

nickmk1

Sorting out the crankcase breather today, what i did was to cut the feed on the inlet manifold in half and plugged both ends. Then take the feed to the inlet pipe and stick it in the catch can. Cant see there being any problems from that and it makes it all very simple!
None of the local dealers had the gasket so im going to have to order it somewhere :(

Can someone confirm the size of the k03 inlet housing so i can get the right size elbow going into there!? (believe its 2 inches but not 100%)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise