cruise control master unit

Snowflake

Feb 23, 2013
Sweden
Well. It was the solder joints. At first glance it seems ok. But i found another page that details a similar unit when i goggled the part number (see link below), that detailed the problem. Armed with a magnifying glass i started checking each joint and wouldn't you know there was a lot (10+) that showed signs of joint fail in various stages. As in the page i read i was struck by the fact that it is only the capacitors joints that are failing and that it is so hard to see.

I got my solder iron out and proceeded as follows.

First i removed the solder joint by using a desoldering wick.
Now the conformal coat has to be removed to get a decent new solder joint. One could try to solder anyway but the joint wont be so good. Anyhow i used a small flathead screwdriver to remove the coat by scratching at the solder base so it became silvery and nice.
Then its just a matter of solder as usual. Finish of with a quick last check with the magnifying glass.

On the pics of the board at the other page one can also se the relay that is built into the unit thus making that clicking sound that is detailed on some threads on the forum, not any separate relay.

Removing the unit(on left driven cars) is done by removing the bottom centre dash (under radio rack), removing the storage compartment directly below the radio, and removing the glove box and surrounding trim. Now one disconnects the unit that is on the left of the metal frame that holds radio, compartment etc.. (the connector is a hard one to loosen but it is possible). Then remove the screw that is accessible through the storage box/radio bay and finally remove the unit through the opening made by removing glove box.

For simplified testing a tip is to loosen the cable and put it out through the radio/storage bay making it easier to connect and disconnect when testing/measuring.

Now only remains to draw a new vacuum tube from the pump to cabin.

Link to page i wrote about above: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1728645
//Snowy

Some Google targets: GR-Steuergerät 12V, 5GA 004 397-11, 1H0 907 305, Hella, GRS, CCS, 5GA004397, Cruise controll

Snowflake

Feb 23, 2013
Sweden
Update: Sorted. A new vacuum tube installed and all the bits and pieces returned to its place. Works just fine :)

Snowflake

Feb 23, 2013
Sweden
A Little supplementary note on the subject is that on my late MK1 Alhambra the cruise control system dosnt seem to be linked to the ECU, thus explaining why no fault code appeared and why logging in to the system wont work. Seem to be a stand alone system.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.