Cruise Control Suddenly Stopped Working

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Just went to use my cruise control and it doesn’t do anything, was working fine yesterday! I’ve looked at various guides and can’t see any fuse that cruise control uses. My brake lights work fine so it’s not the brake light switch, only thing I can think is the clutch switch? Not sure where this is or how I get to it?

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Yes mate, it's worked for the 6 years I've had the car, use it every day, looking online the clutch switch it most likely, and could even be the brake switch even if the brake lights are fine so I will swap them both. Could also be the on off switch on the stalk so will spray some contact cleaner and see if that does anything.Changed my battery the other day, but I've used CC since having the new battery so not sure if that could be a factor?

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
No it's factory fit, have the convenience pack fitted from factory, cruise control, curtain airbags and folding mirrors. It's worked since the battery change so not sure how that would make a difference. Probably have to take it to the garage and pay then [:@]

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
One thing I did noticed yesterday was the 30amp fuse on my battery had blown, apparently it's for "heater" although the heater and climate control worked fine, I replaced that but still no joy, not actually sure it did anything?!. I am going to disconnect the battery later and try again in case it has something to do with it. I could change the clutch and brake switches but I'd rather not do that until I actually know they are at fault.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I could change the clutch and brake switches but I'd rather not do that until I actually know they are at fault.

I've not heard of this working on a Seat before, but a common fault on Honda's is the clutch switch not returning 100% to it's off state. Therefore the CC would think the clutch was engaged and wouldn't activate. So what the Honda owners had to do was put their foot under the clutch pedal and lift it up slightly higher so that the clutch switch registered the clutch as out. Like I say, not even sure you can lift the pedal up more on a Seat.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
I've not heard of this working on a Seat before, but a common fault on Honda's is the clutch switch not returning 100% to it's off state. Therefore the CC would think the clutch was engaged and wouldn't activate. So what the Honda owners had to do was put their foot under the clutch pedal and lift it up slightly higher so that the clutch switch registered the clutch as out. Like I say, not even sure you can lift the pedal up more on a Seat.

I tried lifting the pedals yesterday but no joy, the contact cleaner on the switch did nothing either. I took the trim off so can easily get to the clutch and brake switch, they look like they are moving fine but I read the brake switch is 4 pin, 2 to the brake lights and 2 to the ECU to cut the CC, maybe that part of the switch has died as brake lights work fine. I'll try disconnecting the battery first then nip to the seat garage and ask them if I have no joy.

andycupra

status subject to change
I tried lifting the pedals yesterday but no joy, the contact cleaner on the switch did nothing either. I took the trim off so can easily get to the clutch and brake switch, they look like they are moving fine but I read the brake switch is 4 pin, 2 to the brake lights and 2 to the ECU to cut the CC, maybe that part of the switch has died as brake lights work fine. I'll try disconnecting the battery first then nip to the seat garage and ask them if I have no joy.

just be wary that they will likely want to charge you £90 just to look at it and scan for faults, whether they find something or not.
and then they may guess of issues, which can be costly.

I know I have mentioned it already, but just want to 100% sure the on/off switch is in the right position, - you can slide it on/off, but there is also a proper off position which it clicks into IIRC. when I had seat cruise It was left in the 'on' position all of the time, if I wanted to use cruise i'd presse set, then deactivate with brake or clutch, or by sliding the on/off switch. The proper off position is not clear to everyone, - it seems you are aware but wanted to say as it would be painful if it was this after spending time and money.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Cruise control switch on stalk is broken, new stalk required. Seat want £251 fitted, I can get a brand new one for £70 and the local garage said they would fit it for an hours labour so going to do that.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Just tried my cruise control again and it worked! But every time I hit a bump in the road it cut out, then tried it again after leaving it off for a bit and it won’t work at all! Must be a dodgy connection in the stalk so hopefully when the new one arrives it fixes this annoying issue.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Right got the stalk swapped out and it works fine but the Cruise Control still cuts out when I go over bumps but only small quick bumps, for example changing lanes going over cats eyes will cut it out as it’s a short sharp bump, but undulating road bumps are fine! This throws no fault codes so I am assuming it’s a switch or a bad connection somewhere that is cutting out momentarily.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
When mine 'stopped working' it was down to brain fade. I kept trying to use the button the other stalk. It was only when telling my cousin (a mechanic) about not being able to find a right hand side stalk on ebay that had got CC on it but saw lots of left hand that he looked at me and asked if the car was here. I always have two on the go. I said yes and he walked out and pointed to the left hand stalk and pointed out the controls. He said he thought that it was probably the same controls as on his Audi then asked me how long i'd had the car. I told him about four years. He then called me a stupid c**t and walked back into the garage!
In my defence i rarely use it...

• Haha
Reactions: Woody_72
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.