Cupra 1.4TSI help needed

Aaron_Cupra

Aug 10, 2012
Solihull, Birmingham
Hi everyone!
Bought my ibiza cupra 1.4tsi around a month ago now and I love it. Been reading up on the common problems with them, such as the exhaust emmissions light showing due to a misfire in one of the cylinder.

Im experiencing similar problems such as the emmissions light flashing up and major oil consumption.

I planned to change the spark plugs, but im not sure on which exact number to go for, which is where I was hoping someone with similar trouble on here could recomend the correct spark plugs.

Ive searched for the answer already, but found no exact answer. So any help would be appreciated as I need to get it sorted asap.

Also, the light flashing up on the dashboard only tends to occur when I push the car hard, full throttle in other words. But then it goes off again after flashing for around 30 seconds.

Any guidance on what to do about this problem, and the correct spark plugs with the exact number you have used would be a huge help, as I dont want my baby to die on me!

Thanks in advance

Aaron

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
How long have you had it? Where did you buy it from? And is it still under guarantee? From what I've read through various forums theres no known cure to most of what you've posted about and alot of people have replacement engines under guarantee

Tapatalk on Xperia S

Aaron_Cupra

Aug 10, 2012
Solihull, Birmingham
How long have you had it? Where did you buy it from? And is it still under guarantee? From what I've read through various forums theres no known cure to most of what you've posted about and alot of people have replacement engines under guarantee

Tapatalk on Xperia S

Thanks for the quick response mate, it started around a week ago. And the warrenty ran out at the end of July, and i bought it from a private seller. Any ideas on what I can do as my warranty has ran out?

Jan 31, 2012
Sheffield
Change the plugs will cure it

problem is that it spark plug is so close to the injectors that the injector actually blows out the spark under heavy acceleration the better plugs create a better stronger spark

I think :s

Jan 31, 2012
Sheffield
Yes I had the same problem pal didn't do it all the time but now and again changed the plugs revod up and not shown a misfire since

Will try and find out what plugs I'm running as my local tuner statller fitted and supplied them

Aaron_Cupra

Aug 10, 2012
Solihull, Birmingham
Yes I had the same problem pal didn't do it all the time but now and again changed the plugs revod up and not shown a misfire since

Will try and find out what plugs I'm running as my local tuner statller fitted and supplied them

I really do hope it goes when I change them. Don't want to get rid of it or a huge bill, love it too much. And if you could give us a shout with the number that would be a massive help mate, really appreciate it. Thanks a lot

duzza90

C U P R A
Nov 2, 2010
Rotherham
Hi mate,

Is yours an early 59 plate?

I've got the part number written down at work of the NGK Iridium's in my Cupra, I'll get you it tomorrow, from memory it is something like BKR6IEX, they are the plugs Jabbasport told me to fit.

Aaron_Cupra

Aug 10, 2012
Solihull, Birmingham
Hi mate,

Is yours an early 59 plate?

I've got the part number written down at work of the NGK Iridium's in my Cupra, I'll get you it tomorrow, from memory it is something like BKR6IEX, they are the plugs Jabbasport told me to fit.

Hi mate, ye I think they are the ones ill be getting. And ye if you could check that for me it would be fab. My ones an 09 plate, don't know if that makes any difference. Thanks again mate

duzza90

C U P R A
Nov 2, 2010
Rotherham
Yeh no probs mate, oh right mine is 59 and out of warranty in just over a week. I'm guessing yours says Repsol in the engine bay like mine instead of Castrol, god knows when they changed it. What have you got planned for it?

Aaron_Cupra

Aug 10, 2012
Solihull, Birmingham
Hi again mate, the part number of the NGK Iridiums is BKR7EIX

Found them cheap on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/NGK-IRIDIUM-SPARK-BKR7EIX-BKR7E-IX/dp/B001GD5QTA

I got mine at knock down price as I know someone who owns a Motorfactor chain, but the ones on Amazon beat what I paid.

Excellent, thanks for finding out for me mate, well appreciated. I'll get on their and order some now. Just had a look at your thread, and I love your car mate, looks lovely. Thanks again pal

Last edited:

duzza90

C U P R A
Nov 2, 2010
Rotherham
No problem mate, happy to help :).

Thanks pal, I've not really done anything to it recently lol. The last mod I did was the Jabbasport Remap back in August, the next I think I'll do is get the Milltek Cat-back.

What have you got planned for yours? FYI the coil packs are a ******* to pull off!

Aaron_Cupra

Aug 10, 2012
Solihull, Birmingham
No problem mate, happy to help :).

Thanks pal, I've not really done anything to it recently lol. The last mod I did was the Jabbasport Remap back in August, the next I think I'll do is get the Milltek Cat-back.

What have you got planned for yours? FYI the coil packs are a ******* to pull off!

Ordered them the other day and they have already arrived, I'll get fitting soon.

And plans for mine are, milltek cat back, tailgate spoiler and skirts, h&r springs, refurb alloys in black or maybe different wheels, itg induction if one comes up the right price, and possibly a remap. What power gains you get from the map mate?

duzza90

C U P R A
Nov 2, 2010
Rotherham
Have you got them yet mate?

Sounds good mate, I can quote you for springs by PM if you want, I'm a spring design engineer working for a suspension company. We've sold a few kits so far through the site with great reviews.

How much are the skirts, its something I've never really had a look into it.. don't even know what they look like lol.

When I had my Mk4 FR I bought a set of MK 1 Octavia VRS alloys so I had them refurbished in gloss black, in hindsight I would of probably gone for anthracite.

I'm thinking about getting the ITG kit, but the Milltek will come first. Should be able to get a decent price on the ITG hopefully as currently I am doing all the suspension design work for 888 on the MG 6 they are running in the BTCC, we have done a sponsorship/ spring supply deal with them, just as ITG have done with their air intake.

I took mine down to Jabbasport for the remap, the guys down there are brilliant. When they put it on the RR is only produced 167bhp stock, but they remapped it to 200bhp which is brilliant. Kev there said mine was the first 1.4 TSI he'd seen with older ECU and thought it might of been 'tuned down' with it been an early model, but they did exactly what I asked them too.

Aaron_Cupra

Aug 10, 2012
Solihull, Birmingham
Have you got them yet mate?

Sounds good mate, I can quote you for springs by PM if you want, I'm a spring design engineer working for a suspension company. We've sold a few kits so far through the site with great reviews.

How much are the skirts, its something I've never really had a look into it.. don't even know what they look like lol.

When I had my Mk4 FR I bought a set of MK 1 Octavia VRS alloys so I had them refurbished in gloss black, in hindsight I would of probably gone for anthracite.

I'm thinking about getting the ITG kit, but the Milltek will come first. Should be able to get a decent price on the ITG hopefully as currently I am doing all the suspension design work for 888 on the MG 6 they are running in the BTCC, we have done a sponsorship/ spring supply deal with them, just as ITG have done with their air intake.

I took mine down to Jabbasport for the remap, the guys down there are brilliant. When they put it on the RR is only produced 167bhp stock, but they remapped it to 200bhp which is brilliant. Kev there said mine was the first 1.4 TSI he'd seen with older ECU and thought it might of been 'tuned down' with it been an early model, but they did exactly what I asked them too.

All sounds very promising. Ye the springs sound good, what drop are they? And have you got any pics of cars with them fitted?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.