Cupra 2.0TSI engines reliability and impressions?

Hristiyan Dyankov

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Hey guys!!
Really thinking of buying a Cupra 300 or whatever they are after the new testing fiasco.
Was wondering how are the 2.0TSI engines because I've been reading a lot of bad stuff about them but the only info i find is about the older ones. Are they still that bad or there are new revisions?
Just want to hear it from people actually having the car and driving it!

Cheers!!

aaaa_kk

Nov 19, 2016
Crawley, West Sussex
The engine of the Cupra is fantastic! I own a 2015 Cupra 280 which is running APR stage 2 so close to 400bhp, and I haven’t had any issues in the 1 and a half years I’ve owned it! As long as you keep to the service schedule and use good fuel (I only use tesco momentum 99) it should just keep going and going

Reactions: Hristiyan Dyankov

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015
Hi Guys i have a cupra 300 awesome car with a couple of chosen mods 1st lower engine dog bone mount and pilot sport 4 s front tyres
helps put the power down i feel no point in a remap/tuning box before these as the car struggles to put 300 never mind going beyond that
engines are bullet proof as long as you service them use good fuel like tesco 99 or shell v max NOT LIKE THE FORD RS boys which are seeing blow ups etc
cheers hope this is helpful roll on sunday at vag tuner live
GHB

Reactions: LouG

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’m 2 years in to my Cupra 290 from new - no issues so far other than a water pump leaking which I believe is a common fault on these engines anyway. Made a fair few mods to mine, and it just gets better and better. Probably helps that the car is amazing to begin with! Agree with everyone though, don’t feed your car anything other than Shell vPower or Tesco Momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hristiyan Dyankov

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
I’m 2 years in to my Cupra 290 from new - no issues so far other than a water pump leaking which I believe is a common fault on these engines anyway. Made a fair few mods to mine, and it just gets better and better. Probably helps that the car is amazing to begin with! Agree with everyone though, don’t feed your car anything other than Shell vPower or Tesco Momentum.

Thing is I will probably go home (Bulgaria) and get it there..we don't have Tesco but yeah Shell is usually what I used to put in my Alfa 3 years ago anyway.
I really love the new Cupra and the Digital cockpit just makes it much better for me that is :)

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
It would be interesting to see where reports of unreliable 2.0 litre TSI engines are coming from. The EA888 engine, which is used in absolutely loads of cars in various power outputs, seems pretty solid from what I understand. I've had a Golf GTI for 2 years and had zero mechanical issues, and I am moving to a Cupra 300 soon without hesitation!

Side note; not that I'd recommend it but there are people who have tuned this engine up to 500-600hp. I daresay you run a real risk of it blowing up if you do that(!), but it would suggest 300hp is really not testing it at all :)

garry H bird

Oct 27, 2015
It would be interesting to see where reports of unreliable 2.0 litre TSI engines are coming from. The EA888 engine, which is used in absolutely loads of cars in various power outputs, seems pretty solid from what I understand. I've had a Golf GTI for 2 years and had zero mechanical issues, and I am moving to a Cupra 300 soon without hesitation!

Side note; not that I'd recommend it but there are people who have tuned this engine up to 500-600hp. I daresay you run a real risk of it blowing up if you do that(!), but it would suggest 300hp is really not testing it at all :)
my company does a lot of work for some tuners of the vag range of cars golf R/Cupra and so on Nvm motosport top guys
and great work without charging the earth to do this there cupra had 460+bhp this was with IHI is38 hybrid fitted there are limits with
front wheel drive as we all know
cheers

markrtw

Mar 3, 2018
Northants
These are very strong engines They seem over engineered for 300 bhp. Look up on you tube the 75 Yr old with a 2014 golf R. He is running 600 bhp with a different turbo and fuel pump as the only hardware changes as far as I recollect. The only issues I have heard of with these engines were there were some issues with the IS38 turbo in the 1st year of production (all the faulty ones should of failed and been replaced by now) and the water pump leaking issue which again seems to have been resolved. Masses of these engines have been produced with very few issues.
You have probably been reading about the earlier engines. The 1st version (EA115) was powerful but had a few fragile points that were easy enough to negate with preventative maintenance. These were badged TFSI and mostly used 2004 — 2009 across the VAG group. Though some higher powered versions (CDL code) were used until about 2015 (latterly in the TTS and Sirocco R).
From 2009 to 2013 a version was used that had typically 210 bhp that had a cam chain tensioner that failed badly damaging the engine. A later revision to the tensioner fixed the issue. These engines were still badged TFSI in Audi models, but renamed TSI for the rest of the VAG group. (this naming convention has remained since for the different brands). Since 2013 the mk7 golf, S3, new TT, Leon mk3 cupra, Octavia VRS have used the new EA888 TSI engine.

Last edited:

Hristiyan Dyankov

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
These are very strong engines They seem over engineered for 300 bhp. Look up on you tube the 75 Yr old with a 2014 golf R. He is running 600 bhp with a different turbo and fuel pump as the only hardware changes as far as I recollect. The only issues I have heard of with these engines were there were some issues with the IS38 turbo in the 1st year of production (all the faulty ones should of failed and been replaced by now) and the water pump leaking issue which again seems to have been resolved. Masses of these engines have been produced with very few issues.
You have probably been reading about the earlier engines. The 1st version (EA115) was powerful but had a few fragile points that were easy enough to negate with preventative maintenance. These were badged TFSI and mostly used 2004 — 2009 across the VAG group. Though some higher powered versions (CDL code) were used until about 2015 (latterly in the TTS and Sirocco R).
From 2009 to 2013 a version was used that had typically 210 bhp that had a cam chain tensioner that failed badly damaging the engine. A later revision to the tensioner fixed the issue. These engines were still badged TFSI in Audi models, but renamed TSI for the rest of the VAG group. (this naming convention has remained since for the different brands). Since 2013 the mk7 golf, S3, new TT, Leon mk3 cupra, Octavia VRS have used the new EA888 TSI engine.

Ah yeah I read about those issues...seem people just like to bring old stuff that has been addressed! Thank for your info bud!

Deleted member 103408

My opinion

As a stock car this engine is very strong, as said the early Turbo there was a bad batch from IMI all now sorted.

These engines are being run Stage 1, 2 & 3 with hardware changes but that is just the extra power needs them (Intercooler, Exhaust, Brakes etc) but you I think are talking about stock car you have nothing to worry about if you look after it (as with any car)

Hristiyan Dyankov

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
My opinion

As a stock car this engine is very strong, as said the early Turbo there was a bad batch from IMI all now sorted.

These engines are being run Stage 1, 2 & 3 with hardware changes but that is just the extra power needs them (Intercooler, Exhaust, Brakes etc) but you I think are talking about stock car you have nothing to worry about if you look after it (as with any car)

Yeah ofc...I am a little OCD when it comes to cars and computers.
Everything needs to be maintained regularly!
And yeah I was talking about stock at first that is,,,there will come a time when stage 1 and stage 2 at most will be done but thats for another time.
Cheers!

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
There are people putting quite a lot of track miles on these engines and they seem very reliable. I’m running 380 bhp on my 280, it gets driven properly on track and hasn’t missed a beat. My only complaint about the car is that it’s too competent, the sweet spot is probably about 450 bhp :cheeky:

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I consider the EA888 engine the petrol version of VAG 1.9TDi from the 90’s and 00’s.

For those that have never had one of the oil burners they’re are pretty unbreakable.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
These are very strong engines They seem over engineered for 300 bhp. Look up on you tube the 75 Yr old with a 2014 golf R. He is running 600 bhp with a different turbo and fuel pump as the only hardware changes as far as I recollect.

If this is not how I spend my retirement I’ll be disappointed

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Not too embarrassing if the space saver is on the offside but if it's nearside front where it can't be seen, people must wonder why you bothered with a cupra lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

razmeister

May 28, 2018
I consider the EA888 engine the petrol version of VAG 1.9TDi from the 90’s and 00’s.

For those that have never had one of the oil burners they’re are pretty unbreakable.

Ah, the 1.9TDI....had a couple in a Fabia VRS and an Ibiza FR....The Skoda was definitely the better car though. But what a solid engine!