Cupra 2019 290 DSG wheel hop

Jun 19, 2019
Hi all,

I’ve had a 2019 cupra 290 DSG for about a month now. Mostly, i absolutely love it! The only issue i’ve come across is unpredictable wheel hop under acceleration. This only seems to happen from a standing start, any kind of rolling start and it never (touch wood!) happens.

The bugbear is it’s unpredictability. Sometimes i can go flat out and it wont happen, other times i can just pull away quickly but not flat out and it will wheel hop like crazy. Road surface or rain don’t seem to affect it either, it just seems random. Wheelspin is very minor, surprisingly hardly a problem at all, but the wheel hop is horrendous when it happens.

My question is do changing the settings of the car make any difference to this? If so, what are the best settings to use i.e DCC, diff lock, engine, ESP on sport or off etc. I always drive in cupra mode with ESP off but if changing the settings in individual mode can help i’ll happily change them. Also, is launch control worth using to make a clean getaway or is that a waste of time?

I also checked tyre pressures for the first time today, fronts were at 42, backs at 39 from factory so i’ve put them to 39 front 35 back as per the sticker in the car, not sure if this will make any difference though. When it comes to changing tyres, are there better ones than the stock continentals that will help reduce wheel hop? I know mitchelins are supposedly the best tyres but would they reduce the issue at all?

Im on a 2 year lease so don’t want to be doing any kind of modifications, i just wondered if there is a sweet spot with a mix of settings that can reduce the issue. If there isn’t ill just have to lose the lead right foot when at the lights!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Many thanks

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S will make a difference (I had/have them on my old 280), other one is the engine mount insert but as it's a lease you might not want to change that.

I was going to get 4S's on my 290 too but, as it's a lease, I can't justify the cost. I'm just living with the wheel hop (for now anyway...).

Reactions: Semtax and bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
You’ll always get the wheel hop, one downfall to a front wheel drive car pushing so much torque through!

I’ve found before in my GTD that Pilot Sports helped massively, and with my Cupra I’ve lowered the pressure to 36/38.

You have to learn to almost feather it, can’t just stamp and hope! Also conditions have to be near on perfect, ie warm, dry and tyres sticky!

Reactions: imranbajwa

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Yeah the engine mount is 30 quid and minutes to change, as it’s on the underside up in there they won’t ever notice, or just take it off if your really that worried at the end.

I have PS4s and the insert on my 280 and it’s literally completely gone. I done the insert before the tyres and I had horrendous tyres and it would spin but not hop like before.

£30, £1.25 a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
It's long shot, but if you change the mount and something breaks, it's on you.
I'm going to try PS4s's first.
The crashing reminds me of early Minis with worn engine stabilisers. I get all nostalgic.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
It's long shot, but if you change the mount and something breaks, it's on you.
I'm going to try PS4s's first.
The crashing reminds me of early Minis with worn engine stabilisers. I get all nostalgic.

I got my insert fitted by my local dealer where I bought the car and they were happy to do it and had no concerns over it.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I got my insert fitted by my local dealer where I bought the car and they were happy to do it and had no concerns over it.

Just repeating what our SEAT Tech manager told me. It'll be the same for any aftermarket item that they consider contributed to a failure.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Just repeating what our SEAT Tech manager told me. It'll be the same for any aftermarket item that they consider contributed to a failure.

What I was getting at was the insert was fitted by SEAT Technicians so I know they fitted it correctly with the correct Torque values. If I was to do the work myself it might not have been done correctly.

Personally (and I’m sure others will agree) go for the PS4S Tyres and the Insert. You won’t get much of an issue with wheel hop if you do.

Deleted member 103408

@Maypack Agreed Dog Bone Mount and Good tyres and wheel hop cured, you still can get traction control but the hop sorted.

Engine mounts (which I have) help when you go above stage 1 but I personally don't think they are required otherwise.

Yes we have the same in Europe, if you go in for Warranty work and they see aftermarket stuff fitted they can refuse if they feel they are related, eg if your radio breaks down buy you have upgraded turbo they cant refuse but if you blow a water pump (common issue) they can say its because you modified the car.

Reactions: LouG and Maypack

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
What I was getting at was the insert was fitted by SEAT Technicians so I know they fitted it correctly with the correct Torque values. If I was to do the work myself it might not have been done correctly.

Personally (and I’m sure others will agree) go for the PS4S Tyres and the Insert. You won’t get much of an issue with wheel hop if you do.

You are missing the point. It is not a factory part. If the mount failed, or there was another problem with the subframe around that area, they have an out on a warranty claim. The OP's car is under warranty.
And the Techs will get roasted for fitting it.
It's pretty simple to understand.

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
I'm really suprised to see a MY19 DSG having wheel hop problems. I've seen this with an older 280 manual but mine doesn't do it at all (with both factory SP5p and the newer PZ4). And I live in Greece where roads are far from great.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
You are missing the point. It is not a factory part. If the mount failed, or there was another problem with the subframe around that area, they have an out on a warranty claim. The OP's car is under warranty.
And the Techs will get roasted for fitting it.
It's pretty simple to understand.

You are also missing the point. The mount I had fitted was with the approval of the Dealer Principal so in my case no Tech would get roasted.

I fully understand about the warranty issue and mine is still under warranty too and after discussion with my dealer he has no concerns.

I guess it all comes down to the Dealer and your relationship with him.

I’m not here to get into a spat but comments like “it’s pretty simple to understand” are an insult to my intelligence so I would appreciate that you kept those thoughts to yourself.

Reactions: Bedlam and Legojon

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I'm really suprised to see a MY19 DSG having wheel hop problems. I've seen this with an older 280 manual but mine doesn't do it at all (with both factory SP5p and the newer PZ4). And I live in Greece where roads are far from great.

Admittedly mine is a lot more controlled now since my MK7 GTD which had comparable torque. They have got a bit smarter at controlling it it seems!

I do firmly believe its a lot to do with tyres and their ability to maintain grip. The MK7 GTI/GTD's came with Bridgestone Potenzzas, which were real bad..like really, really bad. The Conti's we get seem to be in a higher league for our roads and weather conditions!

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
It's happened to me twice since I got the car since then I've learned to fettle the accelerator enough to get the best from the car without it wheel hopping.

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
I also checked tyre pressures for the first time today, fronts were at 42, backs at 39 from factory so i’ve put them to 39 front 35 back as per the sticker in the car, not sure if this will make any difference though.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I'd start with lowering the front tyre pressures a bit more and see how you go. Tyre pressures are affected by temperature so keep checking them regularly as the Summer arrives (if we're lucky !). I run mine at around 35-36psi generally and only up them for more laden motorway trips.

Cupra R Matt

Moody grey 300!
Mar 4, 2012
Chesterfield
Glad I've seen this as I've had pretty bad wheel hop twice today (ok it is sopping wet, and I was slightly poking it with a stick to see how it would cope too), but I know it's something I do want to reduce if possible as one of the instances was when I was trying to nip out onto a roundabout fairly sharply.

I'm not sure if it's partly my front tyres that are to blame (it's currently got Pirelli P zero's on), but when there ready for swapping out I will probably go for the michie PS4S as everyone seems to rave about em.

As for this engine mount I see being referred to does anyone have a link to the part so I can see what's what?

Btw mine is a 2018 Cupra 300dsg if that makes a difference, and I usually run it in comfort mode when i'm just trickling about to work n back.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.