Cupra 225 0-62 and 1/4 mile times, Cupra is slow ?

forever

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Still thinking about changing my type r for a cupra r, but after a test drive the 210 bhp seems a bit slow, I know th 0 - 62 times are similar 7.2 vs 6.8 but the type r does the 1/4 mile in 14.7 secs, I think the leon is nearer 20 :eek:
If I got the leon I would revo it, does anybody have any data on the real road gains, o-62 0-100 1/4 mile etc ????

sjtscott

Now with added Revo! :-)
Apr 15, 2003
London UK
Visit site
Qtr mile times make all the difference in day to day driving don't they! If thats all the matters keep the CTR! :D

Sorry I don't have any stats on this since I don't own an R.

WileEcoyote

Aug 6, 2001
Hemel Hempstead
Visit site
Nearer 20 with me driving and spinning the wheels to oblivion!!
I saw a standard 1.6 polo do the 1/4 in under 20!!! LOL

The R was tested off a standing start to 100 quicker then a type R in last years 0-100-0 test and over a standing mile clocked the same time as a type R

1/4 mile is all dependant on the driver

I guarantee you you wouldn't have a problem keeping with a civic type R in a cupra R , although it may not "feel" as fast

Run them side by side down the road and you'll see what i mean
both good cars

WileE

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I am certainly suprised your test drive of the LCR seemed 'slow', I have had a few tangles with CTR's and there is very little in it either off the line or through the gears.

Power delivery is very different though, the CTR I drove sounded like it was about to explode when the rev's got over 7k, the LCR ain't quiet but that 200lbs/ft torque means you don't have to ring it's neck to get all it's power. Change up at 5,500rpm and keep it on the boil is a better technique that revving the LCR to the limiter.

I think the LCR is deceptively quick perhaps it just felt slower than the CTR?, don't know of any road tests or stories of LCR vs CTR on here where the LCR got blown away.

Tuning potetntial that you mention has been talked to death on here, lets not make the mistake of comparing modified and standard cars. Ultimately the LCR is cheaper to modify, but both can be modified to around 350 bhp if your budget allows - But let's not open that can of worms again......

Drive the LCR again if your not happy keep the CTR, personally I love the LCR, it's suits a lazy driver like me.

chromeless

Jun 10, 2003
Visit site
I swapped a CTR for an LCR.

I agree that the CTR is/seems a shade faster to 100 when absolutely at the limit, and most tests back this up - my observations were made in a 12k mile LCR too FWIW.

However, I've found that getting up to speed in general driving is much easier/faster than in the civic - and I'm still running the car in (not going over 4k). Especially noticable in the hot weather where the CTR felt gutless and reluctant to rev, the LCR simply doesn't need it.

I do remember however, that when thrashing round country lanes (with frequent overtaking a necessity) the LCR was making devastating progress, where the civic would be waiting for the "perfect opportunity". And the elastic band effect of the turbo power delivery is very amusing after the smooth delivery of the civic - whether you prefer this or not is down to personal taste.

I'd also avoid comparing modified cars, because I think that mods to these cars just exacerbate the differences in their approach. Modify the civic (keeping it NA - talking engine mods here) and you'll have an awesome track weapon that's even less flexible on the road. Chip the LCR and I think that you'd mostly notice a further increase in it's (already good) on-road flexiblity. Which you prefer depends on your driving style/preferences really.

Other observations...I'm saving these until it's run in and I can write it all up properly for you die hard Seat fans to mis-interpret as direct personal insults, or something ;)

forever

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Thanks Guys, Perhaps I should take the LCR on another longer test drive, I guess it maybe because I am used to the non-turbo car and the driving style that goes with the Type-r

chromeless

Jun 10, 2003
Visit site
I spent 4 hours of test driving time in the LCR - and would have spent more if I'd got my way - before I made the choice.

As my daily driver, there were other factors to my choice than outright, at the limit (or indeed track based) performance though.

Dull as it sounds, the LCR is a far more appealing place to spend time that the CTR on a daily-drive-to-work or long journey basis, and achieves this witout totally losing the feeling of being a hot hatch (like the gti/r32/s3) - should that be important to you.

I think that the LCR looks better from the front and rear too - though not from the sides or rear 3/4 angles.

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
I know its quite a bit different to your situation but my last car was a new Mini Cooper which needed thrashing to get the best out of it (as you apparently have to in a CTR). When i got the Cupra (not an R) i found myself driving it the same as the Mini - thrashing it all the way to the redline. You might find that you need to change the way you drive a bit - you don't have to thrash the pants off a Cupra or an R to make it go fast. Just keep the Turbo whistling.

WileEcoyote

Aug 6, 2001
Hemel Hempstead
Visit site
Just spent the past 30 minutes back on a nice twisty B-road with the R confirms why i love it

You can drive it at 6/10ths 10/10ths on a twisy broad and you can't phase it

My old Ibiza would have thrown me off the road with some of the bumps on this road, but the R's suspension setup is really well suited to British B-Roads

so much fun whistling and roaring along
tyres are none too pleased though
:eek:

david.smith

Polo G40 + No debt!
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Visit site
I managed a 14.5sec 1/4 mile in my Leon Cupra when I had it...bone dry day with not wheel spin at all mind you!! You'll find average for 200-220bhp VAG's will be about 15 seconds...

Dave

GoblinUK

Im getting more and more excited the more I read this thread about my upcoming LCR. Hurry UP!

david.smith

Polo G40 + No debt!
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Visit site
Originally posted by forever
Still thinking about changing my type r for a cupra r, but after a test drive the 210 bhp seems a bit slow, I know th 0 - 62 times are similar 7.2 vs 6.8 but the type r does the 1/4 mile in 14.7 secs, I think the leon is nearer 20 :eek:
If I got the leon I would revo it, does anybody have any data on the real road gains, o-62 0-100 1/4 mile etc ????

0-60 times and 1/4 mile time all depend on the driver aswell, get a good start in a CupraR you're probably gonna get under 15secs on the 1/4 mile!

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004

LOL :D Where have you got your figures from:blink:

20 secs are you serious:wtf:

Think so far the best a standard LCR has done is 14.6 and that was at santapod, not a mickey mouse strip like Crail. (Sorry DJ Horace:doh: Personal opinions on the ski slope you call a 1/4 mile strip;) )

0-62mph of LCR is 6.8 aswell mate. 0-60mph - 6.6.

Although 210 may be quoted a little slower at 6.8 0-60:shrug:

Also the LCR is deceptive, it is very smooth and will be making the same ground up as side by side with CTR. The car you test drove may have been sick if you werent impressed by its pace, it is a turbo car and a simple thing like a dirty MAF will dramatically affect its performance! Try another test drive in another LCR and compare:)

I am an ex CTR owner aswell and would honestly say its about evens upto 100ish but LCR will start pulling slightly 100+

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I do find the LCR doesn't feel as fast as it is, it's refined and smooth but not brutal. Whereas the CTR feels a lot more edgy, so the sensation of speed is increased. In reality, there isn't much in it in an out-and-out drag.

In everyday life and driving though, the LCR will really shine above the CTR. The extra torque means in gear acceleration will be better, overtaking requires less effort and normal driving is a lot less stressful.

By the way, my last car was a Celica and I looked at the CTR before getting the LCR, so I have some experience in the differences between Jap and Turbo :)

LCR_225

Daddy's little tick turd
Feb 15, 2004
Hampshire
www.ukactionsports.co.uk
I have just sold my Clio 172 Cup and this was great fun to drive, however it was hard work to keep it on the boil when you want to make progress. The LCR on the other hand is sooo easy to move at speed. I don think I have revved it at all since owning it as there is no need to. Yes a LCR may seem slower then a CTR but the CTR is a noisier car due to you having to rev the nuts off it to make it move.

At the end of the day though, are 0-60 and 0-100 times really that important when driving on the roads? IMO (and I’m sure others will agree) its mid range that’s the important factor. As mentioned in this thread, when I was driving my Clio I had to always wait for the 'perfect overtaking opportunity' however in the LCR you don’t really need to do anything apart from mirror, signal and then your away. I think this is what sold the car to me the most, overtaking in 3rd is awesome - nail it and the car you were overtaking is now a dot in your rear view mirror.