Cupra 280 center muffler delete

benhella

May 3, 2015
I love my 280 but always though she was a little quite. I dont want to shell out for a full exhaust change. Has anyone removed the central muffler is it a DIY job? How much would it cost? Does it drone? And has anyone got any videos of what its like post removal?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Someone on here posted they had removed the centre silencer for £48. I so want to do this as well for more grumble ;)

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
I've bought the middle section from a Golf Gti. It's the part between the downpipe and the rear muffler.
From the downpipe it's an easy job, just loosen the clamp holding the downpipe and catback section together. In front if the rear muffler you'll have to cut the pipe and then weld em together. Will leave the car to a local garage this Thursday.

Sent using my fingers

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
Result is mint!
Got a much deeper tone and the cracks from the dsg shifts are louder!

Sent using my fingers

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
Should sound like a 290 or golf Gti. :)
All I got is my android phone but I can give it a try someday though.

Sent using my fingers

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
I love my 280 but always though she was a little quite. I dont want to shell out for a full exhaust change. Has anyone removed the central muffler is it a DIY job? How much would it cost? Does it drone? And has anyone got any videos of what its like post removal?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hey!

Did a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Stillhaven't removed my middle silencer due to I wanna know if you get any annoying sound when cruising the highway or not. I want it to be silent when cruising, but louder when accelerating!

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
I think it's important to separate the middle silencer from the resonator.
6fcf97df32c977b1d5b8d4358dd6f981.jpg

I replaced 1 and 2 with 2a which came from a 2015 Golf GTI PP.

The tone is deeper between 1000-2000 rpm. No drone at all as the resonator is still intact. The exhaust pops/farts are louder and you can still here it pop going Wot and shift 4th to 5th near redline.

The job is a diy if you have the option to cut the OEM exhaust and then use a clamp to hold the two sections together again. If not you can leave it to any garage for the fitting.

Sent using my fingers

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Anyone thought of doing this with the Fr? I had a look the other day and the exhaust system looks unnecessarily complex - a simple bypass of the middle silencer (there's 3!) Should make things alot more efficient and sound a touch better

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com

The tone is deeper between 1000-2000 rpm. No drone at all as the resonator is still intact. The exhaust pops/farts are louder and you can still here it pop going Wot and shift 4th to 5th near redline.

The job is a diy if you have the option to cut the OEM exhaust and then use a clamp to hold the two sections together again. If not you can leave it to any garage for the fitting.

Sent using my fingers

That's really interesting!

But what exhaust is the one on the picture? Not an 280 i believe?

This is mine at the rear, I dont have the number 3 muffler..

Pic: goo.gl/photos/b6yZANDjTWqdnmQp8

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
You have an ST..
ST 280 and 290 have the same exhaust.
See below picture.

SC/Hatchback 280 has an exhaust as the picture in previous post is showing with 1 resonator and 2 mufflers. 290 lacks the middle muffler.

Sent using my fingers
99e05b7484c9c7884f29926e079e1930.jpg

Last edited:

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
You have an ST..
ST 280 and 290 have the same exhaust.
See below picture.

SC/Hatchback 280 has an exhaust as the picture in previous post is showing with 1 resonator and 2 mufflers. 290 lacks the middle muffler.

Sent using my fingers

Hmm... didn't even know that the exhaust was diffrent between hatch or estate! :)

Yes, mine looks just like this picture. Are you sure the exhaust from ST280 and ST290 are the same, then the ST290 must have smaller dual mufflers in the rear, due to no middle silencer (just a resonator). After all, it is a lot louder, without any MSD from factory!

Jesper

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
Ah ok I see!

And I found this video of ST280 vs. ST290 revving.. and it seems to be the same hardware, as you say :)

https:// youtu.be/AuX4JdVH3q4

Last edited:

mx5

Apr 26, 2014
Ireland
6fcf97df32c977b1d5b8d4358dd6f981.jpg

Sent using my fingers

That's great info, thanks for posting.

I'm going to simply remove the centre silencer and join the exhaust with a custom pipe so I can re install the original exhaust if required without any cuts. It should be cheaper than buying part 2a too. I'll report back when I've done it.

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
That's great info, thanks for posting.

I'm going to simply remove the centre silencer and join the exhaust with a custom pipe so I can re install the original exhaust if required without any cuts. It should be cheaper than buying part 2a too. I'll report back when I've done it.
The stock exhaust is 2 parts. Downpipe and catback. The clamps shown in above picture is unfortunate not there.. The whole system is welded.

Sent using my fingers

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise