Cupra 280 DSG Gearbox warning message

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
They can't have left me anything in there, as the car hasn't been in a dealer yet! I'm giving up on the notion of getting it fixed now and unless it specifically states I have to get it serviced at a main dealer in the paperwork I'll be getting it that done elsewhere, too.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
You can get it serviced at any VAT registered garage, and as long as they use Vag parts etc, your warranty will still apply. Warranty repairs will have to be done at a SEAT dealer though.

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Interesting.. The technical document I have says its a software update for the airbag module, to stop an incompatibility issue with the gear lever! Either way, glad they're fixing it.

I did scan the document today, but forgot to email it to my home PC..

Can you post this up please mate? I have a chassis number for my new car and wondered if it was affected?

Cheers.

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
Ok, got it. Hope this works..

https : //pdf.yt/d/KWU79Pb4-B2Nyop3

(remove spaces - I can't post a URL because I'm a noob)

Last edited:

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
So my chassis number is VSS___5F_FR055***

As it's an FR and not an ER as you have detailed on the PDF does this mean it's not affected or is it just the last 6 numbers that identify it??? In which case it does fall within the numbers affected??

Anyone know for certain?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
So my chassis number is VSS___5F_FR055***

As it's an FR and not an ER as you have detailed on the PDF does this mean it's not affected or is it just the last 6 numbers that identify it??? In which case it does fall within the numbers affected??

Anyone know for certain?

Mine must be ok as I have VSS____5F_FR007*** so don't have the ER and the last 6 digits are not in the range either.:D Would think the FR means your motor is ok too.

Last edited:

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
apart from the failure message that is described in this thread is anyone complaining that DSG Cupra 280 is not working well? I'm referring to the performance like gear shifting, reaction time and if it's smart enough to discover what driver wants to do (e.g full throthle = quick gear reduction).

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Yes, me. When accelerating hard my car sometimes refuses to change up a gear, leaving me bouncing off the limiter. Had the airbag light on all the way to work the other night, too.

:censored:

I suppose I should be grateful that it works most of the time, though, I suppose, as no one has been able to mend it yet!

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Yes, me. When accelerating hard my car sometimes refuses to change up a gear, leaving me bouncing off the limiter. Had the airbag light on all the way to work the other night, too.

I suppose I should be grateful that it works most of the time, though, I suppose, as no one has been able to mend it yet!

Bloody hell, you don't have much luck mate!!

Did the airbag light clear? I'm guessing like most things electric, an o-f-f - o-n reset normally does the trick!

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland

Have you been to the service with that issue?

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
The airbag light did clear, yes. And no, I haven't had the gearbox fixed. It only happens occasionally and the thought of a SEAT grease monkey ranting my car up and down a dual carriageway all day trying to replicate it is what puts me off getting it done! I'm just gonna live with it, I think...

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
The airbag light did clear, yes. And no, I haven't had the gearbox fixed. It only happens occasionally and the thought of a SEAT grease monkey ranting my car up and down a dual carriageway all day trying to replicate it is what puts me off getting it done! I'm just gonna live with it, I think...
There's a recall just go in give them your vin and they will flash the update.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.