Cupra 280 Dyno Figures

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
I have. I'd like to know what everyone else has got, if anything. My figure, was not what I was expecting. Or the operator, who's first response was to call Seat...

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
Mine was 262. Then 263. Then 265.

At this point, there was much discussion about whether or not mine is a 265. I explained that's impossible, as it's a 5 door, and the 265 only came as an SC. Either way, it's not right.

About 1000 people are going to jump on here and tell me how rolling roads are never accurate, unless you want the figure to be true. The operator has a Golf R DSG. His consistently made 300-310bhp when stock. Suggesting the rollers slightly over read.

This combined with my 260 mile range to a tank suggests all is not well, no?

kmanmx

Jan 21, 2013

At this point, there was much discussion about whether or not mine is a 265. I explained that's impossible, as it's a 5 door, and the 265 only came as an SC. Either way, it's not right.

About 1000 people are going to jump on here and tell me how rolling roads are never accurate, unless you want the figure to be true. The operator has a Golf R DSG. His consistently made 300-310bhp when stock. Suggesting the rollers slightly over read.

This combined with my 260 mile range to a tank suggests all is not well, no?

260 doesnt seem right. I think someone else dyno'd their 280 and it came out at around 295.
I'm wondering if they accidentally put the 260 engine in yours ? I'm sure a SEAT garage should be able to tell somehow.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 260 mile range. When I fill up my 1.6tdi it says I only have a 300 mile range. This is an engine that is supposed to get 64mpg in my Ibiza. I get about 40, admittedly through bad traffic in city driving.

Last edited:

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Oh dear. VAG cars are usually well known for having more power than stated. I reckon I get around 350 miles to a tank, but that's a complete guess, as I don't take notes!

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
260 doesnt seem right. I think someone else dyno'd their 280 and it came out at around 295.
I'm wondering if they accidentally put the 260 engine in yours ? I'm sure a SEAT garage should be able to tell somehow.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 260 mile range. When I fill up my 1.6tdi it says I only have a 300 mile range. This is an engine that is supposed to get 64mpg in my Ibiza. I get about 40, admittedly through bad traffic in city driving.

No, you're not following me. The range when I fill up on the screen says 300. I only GET 260 fill up to fill up. 23.4788 mpg. I doubt they have fitted the wrong engine, as I'd still be getting similar economy to all the other Cupra owners. I'm nearly 10mpg down on everyone's average, and 20mpg down on the book figure.

Oh dear. VAG cars are usually well known for having more power than stated. I reckon I get around 350 miles to a tank, but that's a complete guess, as I don't take notes!

That's what the RR operator told me too. Usually they make much more than the book figure. LIke I say, his R DSG was consistenly 5-15bhp above book power. He's never had a TSi engine that's been that much under book figure before. There's got to be something up with it.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Does sound like you've got a duff un. Would have expected 275-290. I'm sure AndrewJB had his 280SC rr'd for before and after figures for his remap and I'm sure his 'before' figure was in excess of 280.
Regarding fuel range, best way is brim to brim tank and note mileage. The 'amount to empty' is, at best, a guesstimate based on how the vehicle has been driven before you fill up.

Buzzlightyear

Mar 17, 2014

At this point, there was much discussion about whether or not mine is a 265. I explained that's impossible, as it's a 5 door, and the 265 only came as an SC. Either way, it's not

Are you going to take it back to a dealer and challenge the lack of power? Should be interesting to see how they tackle your concern, how/if they choose to test it themselves, and, what the result comes back with...

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
Does sound like you've got a duff un. Would have expected 275-290. I'm sure AndrewJB had his 280SC rr'd for before and after figures for his remap and I'm sure his 'before' figure was in excess of 280.
Regarding fuel range, best way is brim to brim tank and note mileage. The 'amount to empty' is, at best, a guesstimate based on how the vehicle has been driven before you fill up.

I'm not going by any of that. Last time i filled up, i travlled 259 miles before I had to re-fill the tank because of a lack of fuel.

Are you going to take it back to a dealer and challenge the lack of power? Should be interesting to see how they tackle your concern, how/if they choose to test it themselves, and, what the result comes back with...

Yes. I fully intend on returning to Seat with my issues. I couldn't care less if it's 15 or so BHP down, what concerns me is the power loss combined with the fuel economy. There is clearly something amiss, as I've got less power than everyone else yet I cannot put that power on the tarmac.

While I'm having a whinge, my drivers side wheel rubs on full steering lock. PAssenger does not. Odd. The passenger rear view mirror doesn't dip when i select reverse, and the headlights mist up on wet days now.

-sigh

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Had the condensation issue Friday but it's gone now. Fuel wise , it's heading towards 300 fir this tank , a mix of commuting and, erm, checking the edge of the performance envelope..... I can confirm it will do 70 . . . :D
There appears to be something amiss with your car, both in terms of power and mpg. Be interesting to see what Seat say, I suspect a blank face will be the first thing you get....

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
Had the condensation issue Friday but it's gone now. Fuel wise , it's heading towards 300 fir this tank , a mix of commuting and, erm, checking the edge of the performance envelope..... I can confirm it will do 70 . . . :D
There appears to be something amiss with your car, both in terms of power and mpg. Be interesting to see what Seat say, I suspect a blank face will be the first thing you get....

When I phoned them, they asked if there were error messages on the dash. I said there wasn't, they said it was fine and it must be my driving style. And the fuel figures in the brochure, handbook, adverts, tv spots etc are not IN ANY WAY to be taken as accurate.

I am now forced to arm myself with MORE information and evidence before they will do something. :cry:

kmanmx

Jan 21, 2013
If you have the performance certificate from the Dyno, can you not threaten them with false advertising unless they fix it ? You can't advertise a car with 280PS and then have it be only 260PS. They can worm their way out of MPG by saying it's your driving style, but they can not worm their way out of it being short of power, short of you living on the top of a mountain in thin air.

It doesn't meet the specification of the car. You bought the car in good faith that the specification was accurate. I'd be amazed if you didn't have at least some legal ground to stand on.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise