Cupra 280 Dyno Figures

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Intake uplift in temperature

I've just come off the phone with Kev at Revo Northamptonshire and it seems that the uplift after five runs on the TFSI engine over ambient they recorded as 39 degrees centigrade (28 degrees up to 67 degrees) for the standard induction kit, which is pretty high. Apparently the test room is equipped with decent fans generating airflow.

It seems that entering ambient temperature is just bad practice for calculating a correction.

Plugging that back into the ISO 1585 correction formulae, using 18.6 degrees + 39 degrees = 57.6 degrees, would give the following:

307.1 lbft (416.37 Nm) and 311.17 bhp

Not too far away the figures Andrew recorded and pretty much bang on the video someone posted on another thread for a 290 rolling road run not so long ago. It seems that there isn't a power uplift with the two silencer setup, but the torque may well be up a fraction.

Edit: with the max permissible temp uplift for the equation to produce a sensible answer being 10 degrees, as follows (which sounds genuine enough):

992 mb pressure, 61.8% humidity, 18.6 degrees ambient (+10 deg C for intake uplift, max permissible, real uplift after five runs + 49 deg C but delivers overoptimistic results), 407 ft above sea level, corrected using ISO 1585

298.4 bhp/302.54 PS at the fly (247.8 bhp/251.24 PS at the wheels), 294.55 lbft/399.36 Nm at the fly (265.77 lbft/360.34 Nm at the wheels)

Last edited:

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I've just come off the phone with Kev at Revo Northamptonshire and it seems that the uplift after five runs on the TFSI engine over ambient they recorded as 39 degrees centigrade (28 degrees up to 67 degrees) for the standard induction kit, which is pretty high. Apparently the test room is equipped with decent fans generating airflow.

It seems that entering ambient temperature is just bad practice for calculating a correction.

Plugging that back into the ISO 1585 correction formulae, using 18.6 degrees + 39 degrees = 57.6 degrees, would give the following:

307.1 lbft (416.37 Nm) and 311.17 bhp

Not too far away the figures Andrew recorded and pretty much bang on the video someone posted on another thread for a 290 rolling road run not so long ago. It seems that there isn't a power uplift with the two silencer setup, but the torque may well be up a fraction.

How many miles has your car done mate? The engine on mine feels significantly looser and free revving after 6k miles and pulls much harder than when it was on say 3k miles. It also sounds fruitier. I'm not sure this car could cope with much more power through front wheels under speeds of 50 mph! My front tyres are down to 3mm after 6k ( conti sc5's) and I'm not a maniac driver

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Miles

How many miles has your car done mate? The engine on mine feels significantly looser and free revving after 6k miles and pulls much harder than when it was on say 3k miles. It also sounds fruitier. I'm not sure this car could cope with much more power through front wheels under speeds of 50 mph! My front tyres are down to 3mm after 6k ( conti sc5's) and I'm not a maniac driver

I only just picked up my car, which had been a promotional vehicle for Isaac Agnew Seat/Chain reaction cycles, at the start of May. It had 2750 miles or so on it at the time. I got married and went on a honeymoon in between then & now, so I haven't even hit 3500 miles yet! I'm looking forward to putting a few more on to it and had suspected the engine would bed in nicely as the miles racked up, as has been the way with VAG engines. Looking forward to wearing out the potenzas fitted, as they're pretty dire lol The car was registered June 16th 2015.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I only just picked up my car, which had been a promotional vehicle for Isaac Agnew Seat/Chain reaction cycles, at the start of May. It had 2750 miles or so on it at the time. I got married and went on a honeymoon in between then & now, so I haven't even hit 3500 miles yet! I'm looking forward to putting a few more on to it and had suspected the engine would bed in nicely as the miles racked up, as has been the way with VAG engines. Looking forward to wearing out the potenzas fitted, as they're pretty dire lol The car was registered June 16th 2015.

Congrats on the marriage and yes I hear the potenza's are pretty poor for wheel hop and traction under acceleration. A decent set should transform the car. I like the conti's but wear rate is terrible so I will probably go for GY asymmetrical 3's next, I've always found to be a great tyre with shed loads of grip. I've contemplated a remap but to be honest i feel the car has more than enough power and the power delivery is fairly linear too. Actually very deceptive how fast you are going and actually accelerating!

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
I would go for, well have, pilot sport 4. Basically supersports but made more allround so they fit a powerfull sporty daily car perfectly.
Agree on Madhatter on the tuning, I've tuned three of four of my last cars, this one is staying stock, it's plenty fast and the peace of mind is nice too that you can floor it with not a trace of worry. If it's still too slow, you need to find twistier roads to drive on :D

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
:)

I would go for, well have, pilot sport 4. Basically supersports but made more allround so they fit a powerfull sporty daily car perfectly.
Agree on Madhatter on the tuning, I've tuned three of four of my last cars, this one is staying stock, it's plenty fast and the peace of mind is nice too that you can floor it with not a trace of worry. If it's still too slow, you need to find twistier roads to drive on :D

I've been reading reviews of the pilot sport 4 and they seemed positive. I do like the sound of all round ability. It rains on a regular basis in Ireland. Cheers for that!
As for the tuning, you're quite possibly right. There isn't really anywhere here to use any extra grunt over what it's already got. No matter where you go you find traffic, except for at ridiculous o'clock in the morning and then there are cops sitting trying to catch folk on a high speed runs in all the decent places. It has ample grunt for every on the road situation really. Awesome car! :)

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
It has ample grunt for every on the road situation really.

In this age of numbers where cars get quicker all the time, it's easy to lose perspective. In addition to the dyno figures discussed here, there is also the matter of weight. For the size, our cars are light. The ST has a 587L boot yet is 'only' 1440kg kerb approx with quite a generous standard equipment. So with a true ~305hp the Cupra ST is roughly as fast as (0-125mph):
- Volvo V60 Polestar (whose boot is 150L smaller)
- S4 v8 (-140L)
- E39 M5 (-130L)
- Panamera 4s (-140L)
- Maserati Quattroporte V8 (prev model) (-140L)
- Audi S6 V10 Avant (similar)
- Audi S8 V10 (-90L)

As you said :)
Awesome car! :)

Last edited:

Happy Days

Cupra 280/ FR 184 Nice.
Apr 13, 2016
Somerset

I have had my car a few month's and initially I planned to remap it but I find the car has enough power as it stands. I must be getting older, lol.

jonny_w

Jun 26, 2014
I have had my car a few month's and initially I planned to remap it but I find the car has enough power as it stands. I must be getting older, lol.

I am the exact same but doing a filter and de cat pipe for a bit more grunt.

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
I am the exact same but doing a filter and de cat pipe for a bit more grunt.

When you get the Stage 1 remap, you are in a new ball-park. The 360hp puts your bhp/tonne in the same realms as a Porsche 911 turbo.

Speed isn't everything. The decision to whether to overtake that irritating BMW is now always 'Go for it!'

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
When you get the Stage 1 remap, you are in a new ball-park. The 360hp puts your bhp/tonne in the same realms as a Porsche 911 turbo.

Nice sweeping statement.

Here is another one:
When you don't get the Stage 1 remap, you are in an old ball-park. The 310hp something puts your bhp/tonne in the same realms as an even more expensive Porsche 911 turbo.

True ;)

Last edited: