Cupra 280 REAL Mpg?

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Maybe the automatics are just more economical? They have this ability to coast on the overrun which is bound to help, the manual doesn't do this (well ours doesn't anyway). Best I ever got on a long run in early days of ownership was 37Mpg. I've no doubt it could be beaten with a large dollop of self restraint, but life's too short to worry about what MPG's you can get out of a hot hatch.

Mine is a manual gearbox.

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
To be honest, I can understand the MPG and performance thing. I orded my cupra this morning and I currently have a 184fr tdi. The tdi at the moment returns around 60-70mpg which is fantastic, but after going in for a service and test driving one whilst I waited I started on the deal there and then. 40mpg would be a great bonus because as easy as it is to say "why buy a cupra" I love my cars and I'd love to have the option to floor it when I want to get a grin. I'd be happy with 35-40 as this wouldn't impact my wallet massivly, some of us can't afford to have 2 cars.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
To be honest, I can understand the MPG and performance thing. I orded my cupra this morning and I currently have a 184fr tdi. The tdi at the moment returns around 60-70mpg which is fantastic, but after going in for a service and test driving one whilst I waited I started on the deal there and then. 40mpg would be a great bonus because as easy as it is to say "why buy a cupra" I love my cars and I'd love to have the option to floor it when I want to get a grin. I'd be happy with 35-40 as this wouldn't impact my wallet massivly, some of us can't afford to have 2 cars.
all depends on how you drive it. Currently getting 290-300 to a tank. On a long way run with cruise on at 70 will get 350+ (and be bored stupid).
If you want 40mpg average you'd better get used to driving like Miss Daisy, which defeats the object of buying a Cupra really.

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
all depends on how you drive it. Currently getting 290-300 to a tank. On a long way run with cruise on at 70 will get 350+ (and be bored stupid).
If you want 40mpg average you'd better get used to driving like Miss Daisy, which defeats the object of buying a Cupra really.

I understand that it defeats the object of buying a cupra but on my daily commute to work I don't want to spend all my wages just getting there. I also would be using the car for business mileage so I wouldn't want all my wages to go out of the window there. Drive normal on the way to work and back to save your money for a serious blast when you go for a weekend blast.

Chippo

Jan 2, 2008
Cardiff, WALES
Maybe, but if you accelerate at the same rate, and cruise at 70mph, you would expect it to be much closer. The octavia was remapped to around 250bhp. In any case, a few cupra owners are seemingly easily getting high 30s early 40s with effort. I've not seen better than 34, and that was gently driving at 65-70 along the M4, and 40-60 A40 on a 100 mile journey. Short shifting at max 3k rpm. You can't make it any easier other than stopping and switching off the engine.

If I drive along the M4 cardiff to Swansea then I usually do around 65-70mph but get a return of over 40mpg. Maybe a like for like drive would prove whether you have a problem. Mines a 280 dsg.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I understand that it defeats the object of buying a cupra but on my daily commute to work I don't want to spend all my wages just getting there. I also would be using the car for business mileage so I wouldn't want all my wages to go out of the window there. Drive normal on the way to work and back to save your money for a serious blast when you go for a weekend blast.

Wife's commute is around 10 miles per day, its inner city driving , all 30 limits and stop/start. If the car does that and nowt else, it'll struggle to hit 30mpg.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
My overall av (6000m) is 30.2, worked out from fill up to fill up, but if on a work/family run I have had 40 - 45 (Eco mode in Indv) two cars in one to suit my needs.

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
I've just done ~1000 miles in mine now, Average based on fill ups since new is 28.8, best recorded MPG was 37 on a trip to Heathrow and back.

To be honest, I didn't really concern myself with fuel economy when I purchased as I dont do enough miles to worry about the drop from my FR TDI 150 which returned ~49 MPG over its two year lifetime.

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
So far in 250 miles I'm about 26mpg. I really don't care about it, more out of curiosity. The feeling and emotions when you give it some toe is far more enjoyable than thinking about how much you that burst just cost me.

A quick calculation based on 28mpg for the Cupra and 45mpg that I got in my 184 and assuming a parity in petrol and diesel costs of £1.20 (which is now the case give or take) over 10,000 miles a year shows the Cupra fuel costs at £1,909 and the 184 at £1,188. You don't buy a Cupra or any hot motor with one eye on your wallet.

£60 a month or £15 a week or £2 a day. Who cares, this Cupra makes me smile heaps more than the 184 and that is (almost..!) priceless.

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
I agree that you don't buy a performance car for mpg but the jekyll and hyde nature of the Cupra engine amazes me! Pottering home from work, albeit part of the journey in the M1 50mph limit, i regularly see over 40mpg! Spirited drive on a Sunday still returns 25mpg!

The best i ever got from my WRX STI (roughly similar power etc) was 27mpg and that was driving like my nan. Frequently saw mid teens mpg when 'on it'!

Couldn't care less about trying to hit an mpg but it makes interesting reading!!

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Brackley, Northamptonshire
My experience over 4 fillups so far is an average of around 31. Very mixed conditions too. If I'm having fun then it's around 25, being sensible more like 40. I'd say I was a 4 on a rating of 1 to 10 for economical driving (10 being a nun with a broken ankle).

I'm happy with that, my last car was a BMW 530d GT and my average was similar but I had a lot less fun doing it, and was disappointing compared to the quoted MPG of mid 40s.

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
That's it, I just want two cars in one and the satisfaction my 184fr didn't give. Economy is just an interest as it can all help to be put to more mods :D

kmanmx

Jan 21, 2013
I'm averaging about 26mpg in my car overall. It can vary from 20mpg to 30mpg depending on the traffic, though. My daily commute is pretty rough in regards to fuel economy. It's 11 miles heading from south Leicester to north Leicester. So basically, lots of traffic all the way. Lots of traffic lights, roundabouts, stopping, starting.. etc.

If I drive gently (though not particularly slow), I can get 35mpg easily on a 25 minutes journey down some country roads and the motorway to my dads house in good traffic.

But, to be honest, I really don't care. I wouldn't care if it average 20mpg. I never expected anywhere near the advertised fuel economy, and I think with the driving most people do, you'd be daft to expect it too.

Deleted member 100924

Mine is a manual had it a week now 600 miles on the clock. Driving and commuting on country roads at a brisk pace, use full power for overtaking - average on computer long term to date 37 mpg. Range c 370 miles. Gentle commute home on steady throttle sees 40 mpg. Amazing for a car with so much performance.

My old car is a Leon FR 184 - 13k miles. Same driving avg 55 mpg range 520 miles. But it doesn't go like the Cupra! Noisy engine too - the Cupra is super smooth.

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
Mine is a manual had it a week now 600 miles on the clock. Driving and commuting on country roads at a brisk pace, use full power for overtaking - average on computer long term to date 37 mpg. Range c 370 miles. Gentle commute home on steady throttle sees 40 mpg. Amazing for a car with so much performance.

My old car is a Leon FR 184 - 13k miles. Same driving avg 55 mpg range 520 miles. But it doesn't go like the Cupra! Noisy engine too - the Cupra is super smooth.

This is exactly what I was after! Thank you very much

Deleted member 100924

Jamie - you won't be disappointed. Set the throttle to sport (turns off the artificial "soundaktor" engine noise device - I'm not a fan) and it's so refined, but quietly goes like stink with no apparent effort with a mere squeeze of the gas). No going back to the TDi. My pal has a 911s - I'm not joking it's almost as quick, but totally flies under the radar - a genuine Q-car. Drive hard and you get low 30s mpg, gentle you get 40 mpg. It's an amazing machine, I wonder how it's legal!

Al

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.