Cupra 280 vs 290 - My review (cupra 280 owner)

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
So, for those of you that aren't aware, yesterday AM I was lucky enough to be the first to test drive a new black Cupra 290 with white pack (white pack didn't suit it tbh) but besides the point and of course how you spec it is very subjective.

The lease on my 280 is coming to a close in Spring, so it's about time I order a new vehicle to ensure the old new and new vehicle both tie up nicely.

With my faithful 280 being a stellar, quick, multifaceted machine, I'd have another one in a heartbeat, hence considering the 290.

Of course, the below is solely my opinion rather than fact, but as I have been a very happy Cupra 280 driver for the past 18 months, I thought it considerate and worthwhile sharing my opinion with you guys so you can see in my mind at least are the key differences between the two cars.

So, let's get to it. What's the difference?

-- Styling and design --
So first things first - styling. I've a keen eye for design at least I think so. I'm that fussy guy that complained the rear cluster indicators weren't LED when I collected my 280.

Are there any changes? From the outside, I'm afraid not. None. Everything looks identical. From the tailpipes through the the headlights and body panels. So a little disappointing to not see even a few styling amends to separate the two cars and help us enthusiasts spot the difference.

Besides the PS figure on the Cupra badge of the tailgate, there's no telling them apart.

On the inside, I did notice something. Really small, but still. They appear to have updated the font on the binnacle LCD screen for the clock, consumption data etc.

This car also had the optional nav upgrade (this could be why the font changed) but otherwise the interior remained unchanged too. A real shame.

Not that there's anything wrong with the interior of the 280 but a little revision here and there would have helped update and refresh the 2+ year old cabin.

-- Driving feel and first thoughts --
Ok so the first thing to jump out to me was that the sound actuator has changed. The note, sound and even the volume have been revised for the 290 in Cupra mode.

(I'm unsure of sport mode as didn't try this out but I did try comfort to have a good listen to the exhaust - more on that later...)

I also wouldn't say the car felt more powerful, but they did at lest appear to update the throttle mapping in both cupra and comfort modes so the car now feels more eager and responsive than the 280.

This could be that my car is a manual and this was a dsg, but still, thought I'd mention it as there seemed to be a noticeable difference.

Ride quality felt the same during my first drive. Didn't get an opportunity to feel that new dif at work but at least up to 7/10s all is well and the same. Great news there.

-- Exhaust --
Ok I'll be honest. At first. I didn't notice it so much. That was dissapointing. The car was in Cupra mode for most of the drive which didn't help with the actuator masking the exhaust.

However I was super-eager to find out if this new exhaust was actually any good.

So I slipped the 290 in to comfort mode to silence the actuator, blipped the throttle to about 4 grand at a standstill and there was an immediate difference.

Gorgeous little pops on overrun (likely not hugely noticeable on the move but still)

The exhaust was definitely louder, throatier and with DSG, the upshift pops were louder, more rewarding and even more awesome.

Ok so the Golf R exhaust is still the better unit at first listen but a very welcome and worthy improvement over the 280s substandard soundtrack.

Comfort mode will likely be best to take advantage of the new improved soundtrack from the new unit.

-- Overall thoughts --
What's strange here is, I like it more than my 280. I expected it to feel just like my 280 but it felt more impressive and better packaged. Maybe because it's newer, cleaner etc. But actually it's because it's just better.

The exhaust makes it just about worthy of its new badge, DSG sounds better than ever and the new (I think) throttle mapping really suits.

I'm impressed!

So, will I be buying one?

No. Haha. I'm buying a M135i instead.

But if this was my first time round (didn't already have the 280) then I'd of taken the 290 with DSG over the M135i any day and to me that's impressive.

DSG is also better than BMW's 8-speed ZF box too for the record....

Anyway, back to the Cupra. It's a brilliant car better than its 280 predecessor, just about worthy of its 290 badge but too similar to make it feel like a 'new' car to me and likely many others thinking of trading up from a 280.

6 cylinders in a hot hatch (quite possibly the last one ever in production) was just too big an opportunity to turn away.

If this is your first Cupra or you don't have a 280, the 290 is better than the R, it's better than the M135i and it's better than the S3 in many ways and in motoring, you can't get a bigger achievement than that.

Cheers guys!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

subzeero

Dec 24, 2015
birmingham
Excellent review
Im still in two minds over the golf r and the 290. Never driven any of them just seen the reviews online. Had a little test drive in a dsg 280 yesterday but couldnt really blast it around to see the performance so it was just a waste. I have a 290 on order should be arriving in march but im on the verge of cancelling after the first drive of the 280 !!

Just want to know why you think the 290 is better than the golf r if you dont mind me asking ?

dty73

Oct 28, 2015
I've just been told mine isn't coming in mid-January, but is coming in mid-March instead. :cry:

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
Thanks for a great review. Got to ask - if you thought the 290 was better than the M135i, why go for the beemer? (Can't get on with the offset pedals myself, though that straight six definitely appeals!)

Edit: Answered my own question - didn't spot the comment about six cylinders in your post!

Last edited:

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
If this is your first Cupra or you don't have a 280, the 290 is better than the R, it's better than the M135i and it's better than the S3 in many ways and in motoring, you can't get a bigger achievement than that

Have you been paid of someone :whistle:, seriously though you considered the 290, it's "better" than the beemer, and better than the rest of the VW/Audi brand then why not get it (six cylinder or not) :shrug:
Good review though :yes:

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Good comparison! I'm thinking the same, swapping up for a 290 (not on any leases or anything though). Funny you mention the exhaust, it's definitely more bassy and up shift cracks are louder (ish). That said my 280 is perfect exhaust wise, I get loud pops on up shifts DSG and letting off throttle there's a nice burble as it settles down to idle.

Edit: that BM's auto box is a work of art, you CANNOT criticise that, very silky and lightening quick!

Last edited:

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for a great review. Got to ask - if you thought the 290 was better than the M135i, why go for the beemer? (Can't get on with the offset pedals myself, though that straight six definitely appeals!)

Edit: Answered my own question - didn't spot the comment about six cylinders in your post!
We all know the prime fillet steak cooked just the way you like it is better than a cheese burger with bacon.

Still, having the better option all too often can make it seem less so.

I guess what I'm trying to say is as a car that can be a uncompromising family tool (1 son and another sprout in planning) and then instantly turn bring the fight to a Boxster S on the street at the press of a button is incredible. Dsg box, awesome. Love the styling. Love the stealth of the Cupra too etc etc.

Yet as amazing as it is. Quite simply put, this time, I wanted the burger.

The M135i has a better engine and it's RWD which is cool but it's not as able to switch from a family pick up to a sports car like the Cupra can.

The gearshifts in the BM don't reward your ears like the VAG DSG. It doesn't feel as composed on the limit as the Cupra. The BM hates cold wet weather while the Leon doesn't.

As a daily driver, the Cupra is just better. It's great in more areas.

The BMW is incredible (more so than the Cupra) but in fewer areas.

The Cupra is the wife. She can cook a great meal. She's there when times are hard and she's an all-round good egg.

The M135i is a sexy as **** accountant who only wants you for one thing BUT she can suck **** like an industrial pond pump.

The most far-fetched analogy ever. Yet still I think it helps to answer the question Haha.

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Excellent review
Im still in two minds over the golf r and the 290. Never driven any of them just seen the reviews online. Had a little test drive in a dsg 280 yesterday but couldnt really blast it around to see the performance so it was just a waste. I have a 290 on order should be arriving in march but im on the verge of cancelling after the first drive of the 280 !!

Just want to know why you think the 290 is better than the golf r if you dont mind me asking ?
Cheers mate.

Ok so here's why I think the Cupra is better than the R. Again my opinion and not fact. What I do see is that the big auto journalists never seem to feature the Cupra as often as they should so it's easy to think that maybe auto journalists favour the R.

I guess the R and VW just has more legacy and is the default choice for many.

Anyway, back to your question.

It's better than the R because:
In the right conditions, the Cupra is always quicker. I can tell you this from personal experience having a play with an R in a straight line and in twisties.

It's quicker in the corners (less weight) it's quicker in a straight line too (less transmission losses so more power to the road)

It's more exclusive than the R. The Golf's are everywhere!

Much more kit as standard in the Cupra. To spec the R the same, there's around 4k of options to stack up.

However it's not as easy as that, because the Golf excels in areas too. How important these areas are to you are subjective, (they aren't to me) but still. Worth mentioning.

The R has more class and curb appeal. It simply turns more heads than the Leon.

It has a better sounding exhaust.

With a tuning box or a map, the R would be quicker than the Cupra in the real world and would most likely deal with that power better across more conditions than the Cupra.

The R is a nicer place to be in regards to the cabin not by much, though.

But in my opinion that's it that makes the R better than the Cupra.

So IMO when it comes to money, standard kit, driving experience, practicality and the ability to ruin a bank manager's week when he's pushing his 330d and gets destroyed by a Seat; it NEVER gets old!

The choice is yours. But me personally, I prefer the Cupra in almost all cases.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I also wouldn't say the car felt more powerful, but they did at lest appear to update the throttle mapping in both cupra and comfort modes so the car now feels more eager and responsive than the 280.

This could be that my car is a manual and this was a dsg, but still, thought I'd mention it as there seemed to be a noticeable difference.

DSG is the difference

subzeero

Dec 24, 2015
birmingham
Cheers mate.

Ok so here's why I think the Cupra is better than the R. Again my opinion and not fact. What I do see is that the big auto journalists never seem to feature the Cupra as often as they should so it's easy to think that maybe auto journalists favour the R.

I guess the R and VW just has more legacy and is the default choice for many.

Anyway, back to your question.

It's better than the R because:
In the right conditions, the Cupra is always quicker. I can tell you this from personal experience having a play with an R in a straight line and in twisties.

It's quicker in the corners (less weight) it's quicker in a straight line too (less transmission losses so more power to the road)

It's more exclusive than the R. The Golf's are everywhere!

Much more kit as standard in the Cupra. To spec the R the same, there's around 4k of options to stack up.

However it's not as easy as that, because the Golf excels in areas too. How important these areas are to you are subjective, (they aren't to me) but still. Worth mentioning.

The R has more class and curb appeal. It simply turns more heads than the Leon.

It has a better sounding exhaust.

With a tuning box or a map, the R would be quicker than the Cupra in the real world and would most likely deal with that power better across more conditions than the Cupra.

The R is a nicer place to be in regards to the cabin not by much, though.

But in my opinion that's it that makes the R better than the Cupra.

So IMO when it comes to money, standard kit, driving experience, practicality and the ability to ruin a bank manager's week when he's pushing his 330d and gets destroyed by a Seat; it NEVER gets old!

The choice is yours. But me personally, I prefer the Cupra in almost all cases.

Thanks for the reply

Yh your right about the options the golf r has absolutly nothing as standard and by the time you add up a few essentials its come to 5k extra

I live in birmingham and I reckon half of the people that live here have got a golf r LOL
Guess il be keeping the 290 then

Long ass wait. Hurry up march !

booncol

Dec 13, 2015
Excellent review

Have the same issue. Ordered ST 290 in december (had 2 test drives). Two weeks ago I had test drive in S3 8v on wet, today driven 7R on snow and it blown my mind. So im thinking of canceling an order and change it to the R. But.... im not really convinced is it worth that amount of money.

Wysłane z mojego SM-N910C przy użyciu Tapatalka

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Have the same issue. Ordered ST 290 in december (had 2 test drives). Two weeks ago I had test drive in S3 8v on wet, today driven 7R on snow and it blown my mind. So im thinking of canceling an order and change it to the R. But.... im not really convinced is it worth that amount of money.

Wysłane z mojego SM-N910C przy użyciu Tapatalka
It's not. When essentially it's exactly the same car with 4WD, less equipment and costs more.

Plus the Cupra in the wet is terrible...

That is until you change the stock Bridgestones to something else. (My person favourite is Good Year Eagle f1 asymmetric 2.) The minute you do that, the car is so much more capable in near all conditions (minus snow of course)

Keep the Cupra, change the tyres. You will not be disappointed.

Alex_280

Dec 31, 2015
To add to the above...

The MY16 280 didn't come with the dreaded Bridgestones anymore, they come with Continental SC5s which are actually pretty damn good, I presume the 290 will come with the same?

4wd will only help with accelerating and cornering under power, when it comes to braking and general handling in the snow/ice, 4wd offers no safety advantage. Many don't seem to realise this, hence why you see loads of X5's and Freelanders stuck in ditches when it snows on country roads. :no:

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ
To add to the above...

The MY16 280 didn't come with the dreaded Bridgestones anymore, they come with Continental SC5s which are actually pretty damn good, I presume the 290 will come with the same?

4wd will only help with accelerating and cornering under power, when it comes to braking and general handling in the snow/ice, 4wd offers no safety advantage. Many don't seem to realise this, hence why you see loads of X5's and Freelanders stuck in ditches when it snows on country roads. :no:

4wd helps with handling and breaking on icy/snow surface, but it has to be permanent system, that keeps lock still and these are very rare.

Last edited:

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
I've not driven a Cupra (yet), but our FR 1.8 dsg is a gem.

Our other car is an M235i and last week I test drove a couple of S3 saloons. I can confirm the twin clutch is better than the beemers 8 speed auto, which can give very jerky changes at lower revs in lower gears, and because it has a torque converter still 'slips' at low revs when taking up the power.

The ride in the S3 with its magnetic dampers was far superior to the M235, which is too bouncy and rattles you around like a pea in a whistle. Frankly the FR is better so the Cupra must be superb.

If it wasn't for the sound and creamy power of the straight 6 I'd swap it for a vag car.

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Brackley, Northamptonshire

Agreed.

I remember the first time I drove a Nissan X-Trail in the snow after having FWD for years. Couldn't believe how easy it was to get around, until I had to stop, and they don't stop any easier than any other car. That's why you'll find plenty if 4x4s in the ditches as their owners get used to the traction but not the lack of stopping power!

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Brackley, Northamptonshire
That said my 280 is perfect exhaust wise, I get loud pops on up shifts DSG and letting off throttle there's a nice burble as it settles down to idle.

I get the pops on upshifts, but no burble on overrun.....

Have you had any remapping done?

I'd love a bit more drama from the exhaust. Is there an easy way to get some burble or crackle on the overrun??

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ
I've not driven a Cupra (yet), but our FR 1.8 dsg is a gem.

Our other car is an M235i and last week I test drove a couple of S3 saloons. I can confirm the twin clutch is better than the beemers 8 speed auto, which can give very jerky changes at lower revs in lower gears, and because it has a torque converter still 'slips' at low revs when taking up the power.

The ride in the S3 with its magnetic dampers was far superior to the M235, which is too bouncy and rattles you around like a pea in a whistle. Frankly the FR is better so the Cupra must be superb.

If it wasn't for the sound and creamy power of the straight 6 I'd swap it for a vag car.

I had 1er with 8ZF for last 4 years, now changed for Cupra DSG. I'm impressed how DSG works well, but what i definitely miss is wider gear range, specialy at highways Cupra revs too much. 130kmh = 3000r with DSG, little less then 2000r with 8ZF.

subzeero

Dec 24, 2015
birmingham
So, for those of you that aren't aware, yesterday AM I was lucky enough to be the first to test drive a new black Cupra 290 with white pack (white pack didn't suit it tbh) but besides the point and of course how you spec it is very subjective.

The lease on my 280 is coming to a close in Spring, so it's about time I order a new vehicle to ensure the old new and new vehicle both tie up nicely.

With my faithful 280 being a stellar, quick, multifaceted machine, I'd have another one in a heartbeat, hence considering the 290.

Of course, the below is solely my opinion rather than fact, but as I have been a very happy Cupra 280 driver for the past 18 months, I thought it considerate and worthwhile sharing my opinion with you guys so you can see in my mind at least are the key differences between the two cars.

So, let's get to it. What's the difference?

-- Styling and design --
So first things first - styling. I've a keen eye for design at least I think so. I'm that fussy guy that complained the rear cluster indicators weren't LED when I collected my 280.

Are there any changes? From the outside, I'm afraid not. None. Everything looks identical. From the tailpipes through the the headlights and body panels. So a little disappointing to not see even a few styling amends to separate the two cars and help us enthusiasts spot the difference.

Besides the PS figure on the Cupra badge of the tailgate, there's no telling them apart.

On the inside, I did notice something. Really small, but still. They appear to have updated the font on the binnacle LCD screen for the clock, consumption data etc.

This car also had the optional nav upgrade (this could be why the font changed) but otherwise the interior remained unchanged too. A real shame.

Not that there's anything wrong with the interior of the 280 but a little revision here and there would have helped update and refresh the 2+ year old cabin.

-- Driving feel and first thoughts --
Ok so the first thing to jump out to me was that the sound actuator has changed. The note, sound and even the volume have been revised for the 290 in Cupra mode.

(I'm unsure of sport mode as didn't try this out but I did try comfort to have a good listen to the exhaust - more on that later...)

Ride quality felt the same during my first drive. Didn't get an opportunity to feel that new dif at work but at least up to 7/10s all is well and the same. Great news there.

-- Exhaust --
Ok I'll be honest. At first. I didn't notice it so much. That was dissapointing. The car was in Cupra mode for most of the drive which didn't help with the actuator masking the exhaust.

However I was super-eager to find out if this new exhaust was actually any good.

So I slipped the 290 in to comfort mode to silence the actuator, blipped the throttle to about 4 grand at a standstill and there was an immediate difference.

Gorgeous little pops on overrun (likely not hugely noticeable on the move but still)

The exhaust was definitely louder, throatier and with DSG, the upshift pops were louder, more rewarding and even more awesome.

Ok so the Golf R exhaust is still the better unit at first listen but a very welcome and worthy improvement over the 280s substandard soundtrack.

Comfort mode will likely be best to take advantage of the new improved soundtrack from the new unit.

-- Overall thoughts --
What's strange here is, I like it more than my 280. I expected it to feel just like my 280 but it felt more impressive and better packaged. Maybe because it's newer, cleaner etc. But actually it's because it's just better.

The exhaust makes it just about worthy of its new badge, DSG sounds better than ever and the new (I think) throttle mapping really suits.

I'm impressed!

So, will I be buying one?

No. Haha. I'm buying a M135i instead.

But if this was my first time round (didn't already have the 280) then I'd of taken the 290 with DSG over the M135i any day and to me that's impressive.

DSG is also better than BMW's 8-speed ZF box too for the record....

Anyway, back to the Cupra. It's a brilliant car better than its 280 predecessor, just about worthy of its 290 badge but too similar to make it feel like a 'new' car to me and likely many others thinking of trading up from a 280.

6 cylinders in a hot hatch (quite possibly the last one ever in production) was just too big an opportunity to turn away.

If this is your first Cupra or you don't have a 280, the 290 is better than the R, it's better than the M135i and it's better than the S3 in many ways and in motoring, you can't get a bigger achievement than that.

Cheers guys!

Mate what kind of lease prices are you getting on the m135i. Just watched a few reviews on it its an absolute beast !!!!!

Matty91

Jul 12, 2015
Excellent review!

Don't think the small (but big) changes are enough for people to trade up from a 280.

Defo for a first time cupra owner to go for this over the 280 but also depends on the price tag.

Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists