1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

Cupra 290/300 or golf R

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by ghostbustertab, Mar 3, 2019.

1. ghostbustertab

ghostbustertab Active Member

Hi all still undecided between Cupra 290/300 or Golf R? What's everyone's opinion ?

2. Ben GT

Ben GT Active Member

This was my dilemma but when you weigh up the cost of the R by the time it has options against the Cupra Lux it was a no brainier.

Also, the Golf gets replaced very shortly and you’re immediately in an old car. The Seat Leon Cupra will never be done again so you’re not out of date and even if you were nobody would know as nobody really knows what the car is

That was my line of thought anyway :headhurt:

ghostbustertab likes this.
  3. Drive all three and buy the one you like the most.

LouG likes this.
  4. Jackx1

Jackx1 Active Member

In all honesty if money wasn’t an issue I would of chosen a golf R over a cupra. IMO the golf looks a little classier, interior is better built and is more refined.

But with all things considered it doesn’t warrant the extra cost. Especially if your buying new or leasing.

Brooster89 likes this.
  5. ghostbustertab

ghostbustertab Active Member

Not buying new would be a 2016 golf R or 2016 Cupra 290 or 2017 cupra 300

6. Damo H

Damo H That Carbon s(k)nob down the street ;)

You’re asking a Seat Cuora forum whether to buy a golf you're going to get biased answers.

Drive both, look at the spec and the cost and make your decision.

For me it was a no brainier, the R Estate looks like they forgot to design the rear and left it as a box. Spec is rubbish compared to the Cupra.

It’s heavier, but doesn’t have enough extra power to make up for it. The only place the golf is quicker is 0-60 assuming you're not talking estate 4Drive.

Also take the seat and VW numbers on paper with a pinch of salt. If you look at the power to weight ratios of the 4drive estate vs the Golf R estate, the 0-60 numbers don’t add up.

7. Brooster89

Brooster89 Active Member

It was between a Golf R Estate and an ST 4Drive for me and I went with the latter. Definitely think the Seat looks better from the outside but the Golf was a lot smarter inside. Ended up coming down to the cost and just couldn't justify the extra for the VW. Maybe next time though.

8. Dannnnn

Dannnnn Active Member

I had the same issue.

Went with the Leon.
    For my budget, The spec, mileage and age made a significant difference in the car that I could afford (Leon was newer, lower mileage and better spec as standard)

9. KernelOkey

KernelOkey Active Member

If a better quality interior is a must buy a golf, otherwise go for a Cupra

Deleted member 103408 likes this.
  10. silles

silles Active Member

Cupra is ligher, more fun to drive, cheaper to run/insure, better looking
    Golf-R is faster to 0-60, less involved, more expensive, holds the value better

u decide what's more important to you

LouG likes this.
  11. Naylor92

Naylor92 Active Member

I’ve owned both mate. Both fantastic cars. The Golf definitely feels quicker because of 4wd of course. Once it’s off the mark though, then the Cupra absolutely flies. I’d say the quality inside the cars is pretty much the same.

12. TheSwede

TheSwede Active Member

13. bgb

bgb Active Member

I think the Golf R/Cupra debate is the same as the S3/Golf R debate. All very good cars, each have their own brand traits. It's purely down to what you want. B-road thrashing with involvement in keeping the car nose pointing the way you started, or straight line hammering.

Cupra - Solid shared design strategies within VAG Group, just huge power for front wheels, but then can outpace a lesser specced, higher priced GTI Clubsport, also front wheel drive.

Golf R - Foot down and go, not as option heavy, even a Golf GTI Performance with the same spec level as a Cupra Lux is a few grand more!

S3 - Luxury, but no options. To even spec anywhere near a Cupra or even its closest rival a Golf R you are looking at major money.

Having owned a Golf GTD I'm excited to notice the interior design details/cuts, but i have a Lux so the leather may outweigh this plus the new gizmos such as digital cockpit and LSD, plus 100+bhp more..

I've brought the Cupra to go back to raw petrol and chuckability, something I know ALL reviewers have said is the Cupra's forte. Sometimes, the golf is too easy, too cruisable and even more so once you go R.

The one issue i have is, people asking me and the GF what a Cupra is, and you go GTI but in SEAT disguise! haha.

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

You can get the seat at least 7k cheaper.. So Cupra all day long.

15. Cupra Belfast

Cupra Belfast Active Member

It depends whether you like actual driving or just racing away from folk at the traffic lights. When I tested the R, S3 & RS3 I found them to be a bit detached, like driving an arcade machine. They went where you pointed them, with a detached feel about it. I'm not sure with the traction off if it'd be actually possible to feel where the limit is before having a massive accident in the 4WD MQB offerings. The Cupra feeds back what's going on. Also, the Golf is to be replaced imminently. Might get you a discount on it somewhere, but likely not all that much. For me it's the Cupra every time. Others prefer the synthesised driving experience of the 4WD.

16. LouG

LouG Active Member

It depends if you live for corners, or traffic light GP's. Cupra for me.

Cupra Belfast and silles like this.
  17. Cuprobbie

Cuprobbie Active Member

I’m close to the completion of a 3 year PCP on my Cupra 290 Black Edition, so I’ll have to decide soon on the next step.
    I’ve been considering another Cupra or a Golf R or an i30N.
    I definitely think that the other two do not look as appealing as the Cupra.
    The one problem with the Cupra appears to be its depreciation. The Golf seems to hold its value much better.
    I can’t really understand why this should be. I’m guessing that the Cupra is rarer than the Golf and in my humble opinion the Cupra is much better looking and better value for money when new. I guess it’s down to the VW badge.
    As I’ve said on another thread, I’m really looking for a manual gearbox, which will cut down my options.