Cupra 290 creak/squeek front suspension.

Feb 27, 2019
I have a Cupra 290 and when going over uneven ground, worse over speed bumps, I have an annoying squeek/creak from the front end suspension area. If I push down on car from outside I can't hear the noise. It's starting to really p*** me off.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have a Cupra 290 and when going over uneven ground, worse over speed bumps, I have an annoying squeek/creak from the front end suspension area. If I push down on car from outside I can't hear the noise. It's starting to really p*** me off.
Could be a number of things, bushes, top mounts, dust boots on the struts, at worst its a shock.

drdel

Oct 16, 2018
Could be a number of things, bushes, top mounts, dust boots on the struts, at worst its a shock.
It is lower control arm bushings. They are ****, same as it is on 1.2TSI... In SEAT, they told me that it is a known problem and put some grease on the bushings. It only helped temporarily, now the problem is coming back, getting used to it.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
It is lower control arm bushings. They are ****, same asi on 1.2TSI... In SEAT, they told me that it is a known problem and put some grease on the bushings. It only helped temporarily, now the problem is coming back, getting used to it.
I can't hear it when I roll my windows down outside, or when I push down on car from outside. Car is booked in for a week today. Really doing in my head.

Wilkins91

Take a Seat.
Aug 19, 2017
Cheltenham
I have this issue on my Leon too. Has anyone had it sorted by Seat/ tried themselves? I have bought some lithium grease to see if this makes any difference.

k290b

Apr 15, 2019
Mine does it intermittently dripping of speed bumps

I’m pretty sure it’s not the top mounts - I think the lower arm bushes as mentioned above

I squirted a load PTFE penetrant spray in and seemed to stop it

When I next have the car up I’m going to remove the bottom arm bolts and put some lithium grease in there too

boggle

Dec 28, 2012
KENT
sounds like lower control arm bushes, they dryout and crack and then squeak. spraying with silicon spray will stop the noise for a while. i changed mine at 30k
view

Feb 27, 2019
sounds like lower control arm bushes, they dryout and crack and then squeak. spraying with silicon spray will stop the noise for a while. i changed mine at 30k
view
I actually hope this is what it is. I need to get it up on ramps, I have silicone spray I could spray on them. Could you hear yours when you pushed down on the front of your car from the outside?

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
I have it on my 2.0 TDI FR too, I was hoping when I fit my coilovers it would stop. Mine sounds like it comes from the rear and can only hear it when I'm slowly going over speed bumps. It's more of a metal on metal creek than a squeek though

Feb 27, 2019
I have it on my 2.0 TDI FR too, I was hoping when I fit my coilovers it would stop. Mine sounds like it comes from the rear and can only hear it when I'm slowly going over speed bumps. It's more of a metal on metal creek than a squeek though[/QUOT
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q3q8K1VxYh5MI4a-XX9k_-QfVccYEISP/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NSWOeDGl7iv2f6uu-2AUo2-c8oMCXyQn/view?usp=drivesdk

I couldn't replicate the noise by pushing down on the front end, i had the creaky squeaks over sharp bumps, speed humps and changes in road surface. also poor tyre wear and a wayward steering feel.
So that's a picture of the lower control arm bush? Is this facing you when you go underneath the car? On the bottom side of the wishbone?

boggle

Dec 28, 2012
KENT
Pictures were taken with the lower arm removed from the car. both sides of the drivers side bush.

the lower arm and bush sit in a pocket on the subframe
N40-10687.png

from underneath not alot is visible.

removing the wheel and the arch liner is the only real way to get access.

Feb 27, 2019
Pictures were taken with the lower arm removed from the car. both sides of the drivers side bush.

the lower arm and bush sit in a pocket on the subframe
N40-10687.png

from underneath not alot is visible.

removing the wheel and the arch liner is the only real way to get access.
Ok thanks for reply mate. I'm hoping this is what it is and it's not a squeeky creak coming from inside the dashboard. Definitely sounds like it's coming from suspension though.

Feb 27, 2019
My suspension now creaks when I push down on the car. I went underneath it and got someone to push down. It seems to be coming from a plastic clip thing with a sensor that is fixed to a bracket which moves when the suspension moves. There is one of these on every wheel. Have no idea what they are. Don't think this is related to the other squeek going over bumps. This car is driving me mad.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
There is definitely some design flaw with this creaking as to many do it , I'm pretty sure mine is the handbrake cable bracket on the rear but I could be wrong so I will try and remove , grease and refit and then report back , like others have said it's worse over speed humps when your suspension is almost fully extended and then comes down again.

Feb 27, 2019
Mines is going in on Wednesday to test drive it with me in it. It better creak like hell when they are in it I want to get it fixed.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Mines is going in on Wednesday to test drive it with me in it. It better creak like hell when they are in it I want to get it fixed.
What I find is if you drive over the sleeping policeman that go completely across the road I can get it to do it pretty much every time.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.