Cupra 290BE Bucket seat white trim cracked!

AndyGrey

Jan 17, 2008
Blyth, Northumberland
Yep me too, mine isn't the 290 Black Edition either, it’s a 280 (65 plate) with the optional Buckets Seats, but I’m sure they are the same seats. Considering they cost me £1250 and that's in lieu of the standard seats, in real terms they probably cost something more like £2000. And they tear/crack in less than 3 years! So I agree totally, it’s more style over substance and the vinyl material just isn’t up to the job of a bolster, it’s just too fragile and its not like you can even service it with conditioners or anything to feed it and make it supple like you can with leather.

Crumpy, have you had yours looked at or repaired by the dealer?

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
Yep me too, mine isn't the 290 Black Edition either, it’s a 280 (65 plate) with the optional Buckets Seats, but I’m sure they are the same seats. Considering they cost me £1250 and that's in lieu of the standard seats, in real terms they probably cost something more like £2000. And they tear/crack in less than 3 years! So I agree totally, it’s more style over substance and the vinyl material just isn’t up to the job of a bolster, it’s just too fragile and its not like you can even service it with conditioners or anything to feed it and make it supple like you can with leather.

Crumpy, have you had yours looked at or repaired by the dealer?
yeah mine is less than 3 year too 65 plate 280! only done 21000 miles, such a bad design!

Haven't looked into repair yet as like i say only really noticed it in the last couple a weeks, not sure the dealer would do anything about it though, and not even sure how an auto upholstery repairer would fix it to be honest!

AndyGrey

Jan 17, 2008
Blyth, Northumberland
I’m going to persevere and discuss this issue further with Seat customer services, obviously I’m after a repair under warranty. I recall the dealer saying it would cost me something like £500 to replace the driver seat skin, £300 for the part and £200 fitting. An auto upholster I’ve visited said they would fit it for £120.

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
I’m going to persevere and discuss this issue further with Seat customer services, obviously I’m after a repair under warranty. I recall the dealer saying it would cost me something like £500 to replace the driver seat skin, £300 for the part and £200 fitting. An auto upholster I’ve visited said they would fit it for £120.
Yeah i think a re-skin would be the only way to sort it right? just doesn't look like a material that can be fixed to me. what a joke, a large car manifacturer thats used clearly unfit for purpose materials in their cars and didn't test them well enough (or knew that the seats would crack and didn't care) i mean these cars get tested a lot before they go on sale, some test driver somewhere must have experienced the seats cracking surly!

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
By strange coincidence I've just had exactly the same problem with the driver's seat on my 64 plate, 33k Cupra today. The dealer is on the case and I should get an answer on either repair or costs soon. No other car we've owned has suffered any sort of seat cover issue before at this age so I hope they will sort this out.

seat.jpg

Sorry to read others have had similar problems but on the other hand it's good to know I'm not alone as this usually helps get things sorted out. The closest problem I can remember was 'alcantara-gate' with the TT quattro Sport steering wheel, the alcantara all rubbed off after a few k miles and initially Audi said wear and tear until the car forums highlighted the extent of the issue and we got new fluffy wheels.

Not the biggest problem I've faced as my first mk3 Cupra blew it's turbo twice in 600 miles (some of you might remember though that was a good few years ago now!), luckily all has been well with this second car until this little issue with the seat.

I will let you know the outcome!

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
Has anyone had the same or similar issues with the material(s) used in the 300 seats?

The fact that this has occurred in the first place causes me to believe that they may well be unlikely to learn from their mistakes on earlier versions.
Nevertheless, for me at least, it's not so much about these issues occurring but more about the awkwardness and unwillingness of dealers and SEAT UK to rectify these problems without quibbling.

bluehandle

Feb 28, 2011
I'm looking to get a used 290 so now I'm a little concerned - does this only happen on the models with Bucket seats or all types?

x11r

Sep 13, 2012
Basingstoke , Hants
Hi Fellas my first post on the forum although Ive been lurking for a while , after seeing this post I popped outside to look at mine and its done exactly the same on the drivers seat , Dec 16 with 26k Ill be contacting the dealer tomorrow, I was suspicious of those white strips when I first got the car , such poor quality.
Ill report back how I get on.

RSH1979

Oct 27, 2017
Had my 290 black edition ST first service yesterday and tried to claim my rip on drivers seat similar to the other pictures on this thread. I even referenced this thread which proves it’s a common fault.

Told that as the car is past 6,000 miles I cannot claim? I’m don’t want to leave it there, want to take things further. This is the first car I’ve owned that has a warranty and would expect this to be fixed within the 3 year period (mine is 1.5 years into warranty) so want to take it further up the chain.

I see some people have tried different dealers, should I do this or just go straight to the top? Got to say not impressed and likely to be my last experience with SEAT.

ianxx7

Nov 15, 2016
Same issue on my Cupra 290 BE (66 plate) lease car. With less than 14k miles drivers seat has cracked and ripped and passenger seat is starting to show same signs of cracking. Took to a local dealer and after a week his response was 'its my fault i must of ripped it'!!...Anyone get any more positive results off Seat Customer Services? I've just emailed them and if no response will call in the next few days.

darius6745

May 30, 2017
Got mine done under warranty mate. Just a new cover needed. Took them a few weeks to get it in but all good now like

sumogtr

Jul 24, 2018
Watford
I have just had mine go too on my leased 66 290ST Black Edition - ironic its a piece of totally unfit for purpose WHITE trim!!

Mine was due to go back next month so I was going to argue it if they tried to charge for it, but I have just extended my agreement until my new 19 plate ST 4Drive is ready, so think I may try and get it sorted under warranty as its not 2 years old yet.

darius6745: can you let me know which dealer you got this warrantied through so I can quote that to my local - a date and a contact name would be even better if you could please?

darius6745

May 30, 2017
I have just had mine go too on my leased 66 290ST Black Edition - ironic its a piece of totally unfit for purpose WHITE trim!!

Mine was due to go back next month so I was going to argue it if they tried to charge for it, but I have just extended my agreement until my new 19 plate ST 4Drive is ready, so think I may try and get it sorted under warranty as its not 2 years old yet.

darius6745: can you let me know which dealer you got this warrantied through so I can quote that to my local - a date and a contact name would be even better if you could please?
It was done at riverside seat in seamer, which is near Scarborough. Their number is
01723 862242 and I can’t remember the exact date but is was done in August. It’s only a small place with few staff but it was the main guy in the service department that I dealt with, sorry can’t remember his name. Nice fella and didn’t ask questions just took pic then rang me to book it in. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Reactions: sumogtr

Hogey

Jul 6, 2016
When I first saw this posted I was convinced it was someone who had carelessly ripped their seat & was looking for someone to blame. Perhaps tools or set of keys had got wedged down there & accidentally ripped the cover. As I’m very careful it didn’t really concern me

Then one day I had a closer look at my 66 plate 290 Black Edition & was shocked to see the exact same thing. The material obviously doesn’t react well to flexing & begins to wear down before eventually tearing. Slightly concerned as I’m about to pickup a 15 plate Cupra Sub8 with the same seats which will inevitably suffer the same fate :(

mrvanx

Feb 13, 2014
York
It was done at riverside seat in seamer, which is near Scarborough. Their number is
01723 862242 and I can’t remember the exact date but is was done in August. It’s only a small place with few staff but it was the main guy in the service department that I dealt with, sorry can’t remember his name. Nice fella and didn’t ask questions just took pic then rang me to book it in. Let me know if you need anymore info.
Yep these guys sorted mine out (see earlier on in the thread). The servicing guys and overall the team have been great since a restructure... So much so I'm getting my next cupra in December through them.

Highly recommended.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

JayClarke

Apr 18, 2018
Derby
Noticed the same issue on mine a couple of weeks back - took it into SEAT Derby last Thursday and have only just had a response today after chasing them. They are rejecting it as a warranty claim as it looks to be punctured... as advised by SEAT UK directly, apparently.

Asked them to escalate it again to SEAT as anyone with a brain cell can clearly see that it's an issue with the material used.

Can see this being fun..

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Noticed the same issue on mine a couple of weeks back - took it into SEAT Derby last Thursday and have only just had a response today after chasing them. They are rejecting it as a warranty claim as it looks to be punctured... as advised by SEAT UK directly, apparently.

Asked them to escalate it again to SEAT as anyone with a brain cell can clearly see that it's an issue with the material used.

Can see this being fun..
If its the same guy at Derby seat that I booked my car in with for a service and warrenty work he's absolutely useless, I just rang Seat direct and did it all though them

JayClarke

Apr 18, 2018
Derby
If its the same guy at Derby seat that I booked my car in with for a service and warrenty work he's absolutely useless, I just rang Seat direct and did it all though them

I'll give them a chance to resolve it, if not I'll be going direct to SEAT UK again.

Or, the SEAT dealer in Scarborough, they seem to have a good reputation - proper fish and chips while I wait too... :cheeky:

Reactions: Rob66

Riverside SEAT

Dec 4, 2018

Can see this being fun..

Afternoon Jay, Please feel free to contact Riverside SEAT in Scarborough and we'll see if we cant assist. Contact number is 01723 862242 and yes we do have proper fish and chips here! - Regards Andrew

Reactions: JayClarke and K12