Cupra 300 DSG Electronic Handbrake

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Im new to a Cupra and a DSG Gearbox and both coupled with the electronic handbrake and Hill Hold has me perplexed!!

I was advised by dealer to leave the Handbrake in auto so it applies each time I stop. I have done this but every time I set off from stopping there feels like a clunk as the handbrake releases. Is that normal? As I’ve used a manual handbrake for the last 30 years or so (older driver lol) I thought I’d gauge opinions from experienced Cupra/DSG/Auto handbrake users.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Yes, that's normal. You'll get used to it very quickly.

Reactions: Maypack

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
That and the constant stop/start are taking a bit of getting used to.
The start/stop takes a little longer to get used to! The thing that annoys me most is that when the engine stops the power steering cuts out, so if you stop on an angle and want to straighten the wheels before pulling off you have to make the engine restart first.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Might be I am a minority, but I have disabled start/stop completely using OBDeleven and also never use auto-hold.
That sounds extreme, isn't it something you can you turn off at the touch of a button on the new Leon?

I have a pre facelift MK3 manual and you can disable it on there I'm sure.

My only experience of it in DSG was in a S3. Apart from the issues it caused with my emerging onto busy roundabouts game, oh and pulling out at busy junctions I appreciated it.

Can you permanently disable it per mode? I.e leave it on in comfort but disable in sport or CUPRA when you are not too bothered about economy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
The start/stop takes a little longer to get used to! The thing that annoys me most is that when the engine stops the power steering cuts out, so if you stop on an angle and want to straighten the wheels before pulling off you have to make the engine restart first.
It’s also a little annoying in that if you haven’t breaked hard enough to engage the stop/start but the car has come to a standstill, as soon as you lift your foot off the brake, the car starts to move forward with no accelerator being pressed...

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Adding my 2 pence worth. I've had auto on for weeks and never hear a sound or feel a clunk when i move off. It's seamless for me

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I have the manual gearbox but given the choice I would not spec the electronic handbrake. It can be a pain when switching vehicles, failing to release the manual handbrake on another vehicle and then trying to pull the imaginary handbrake lever when back driving the Cupra, but maybe that's just me.
I can foresee some expensive repairs a few years down the line on cars fitted with the electronic system.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Call me superstitious but I leave my car in gear when unattended, something about the brake being electronically controlled just leaves me feeling less confident that a manual handbrake.

Never had a problem, or heard of problems with electronic handbrakes failing but still, when it's not manual I have a nag in my mind.

Last edited:

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
With having the DSG gearbox, when in Park the wheels are locked and in essence the handbrake isn’t in use if I have read the handbook correctly... I may be proved wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrnBru

Apr 4, 2018
Always leave mine in gear when parking (manual)
Call me superstitious but unleavened my car in gear when unattended, something about the break being electronically controlled just leaves me feeling less confident that a manual handbrake.

Never had a problem, or heard of problems with electronic handbrakes failing but still, when it's not manual I have a nag in my mind.

I have always left my cars in gear (manual) and always will.

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
I always leave the car in gear regardless of whether it is a manual or electronic handbrake.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
You shouldn’t really turn your wheels when completely stationary anyway.