Cupra 300 DSG shift points are rubbish - Miss Daisy vs Stig mode

silles

May 4, 2017
Does anyone find that the shift points are useless in both D and S mode? (DSG 6 speed)

D (miss Daisy) mode: it keeps shifting up to early
S (Stig) mode: it stick to 2nd till the redline, even when gentle on the throttle or keep changing between 2nd and 3rd ( when just cruising in 20-30 mph zones.

Is there a way to change the shift point at home with some software (carista ?) ( i don't want a DSG stage 1 tune just for this)

Ideally Cupra should have a mode between D and S

Last edited:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I think a DSG map is your only option for changing the gearing. I can highly recommend it too as it makes such a difference. And I do feel your pain with how the standard gearing is. You don't want to be doing 6500rpm in 2nd in a 30mph zone, but equally you don't want to be doing 20mph in 6th!!

Reactions: Naylor92

silles

May 4, 2017
I think a DSG map is your only option for changing the gearing. I can highly recommend it too as it makes such a difference. And I do feel your pain with how the standard gearing is. You don't want to be doing 6500rpm in 2nd in a 30mph zone, but equally you don't want to be doing 20mph in 6th!!

exactly, but interestingly once u reach 3rd it gets a bit more sensible and start shifting as I would

I think I just stick to M mode

Naylor92

Sep 16, 2018
Yeah DSG map will sort it. I have a tcu tune flash from Dtuk and it’s absolutely mint.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Does anyone find that the shift points are useless in both D and S mode?
Actually, I find the D mode pretty good for commuting etc. Much better than my wife's 120 bhp A-Class which will be in 7th by the time one reaches 40 mph (I'm assuming Paddy is exaggerating when he refers to 20 mph in 6th, I don't think a Cupra really does this as it would only be doing about 800 rpm :bleh: [B)] ).

S mode, on the other hand, is far too aggressive in the first three gears, although it's not too bad in the higher gears.

Reactions: paddy6789

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Does anyone find that the shift points are useless in both D and S mode?

D (miss Daisy) mode: it keeps shifting up to early
S (Stig) mode: it stick to 2nd till the redline, even when gentle on the throttle or keep changing between 2nd and 3rd ( when just cruising in 20-30 mph zones.

Is there a way to change the shift point at home with some software (carista ?) ( i don't want a DSG stage 1 tune just for this)

Ideally Cupra should have a mode between D and S
Is this DSG6 or DSG7 gearbox? Helps if you state that in threads like this.

Kenton

Jun 19, 2018
I actually find the ratios/programming OK. Admittedly I'm coming from an ST 290 Manual to a 300 ST 4Drive DSG7, so I don't have an 'auto' trained driving style. I am finding that throttle pedal position and rate of 'push' gives the desired effect, as in kickdown when needed. Perhaps there is a level of 'unlearning and re-learning' required to fully appreciate and use the Box provided.

Reactions: Naylor92

silles

May 4, 2017
I actually find the ratios/programming OK. Admittedly I'm coming from an ST 290 Manual to a 300 ST 4Drive DSG7, so I don't have an 'auto' trained driving style. I am finding that throttle pedal position and rate of 'push' gives the desired effect, as in kickdown when needed. Perhaps there is a level of 'unlearning and re-learning' required to fully appreciate and use the Box provided.

maybe it work better with no traffic, but if u hesitate to accelerate for a second it already shift up 1 or 2, than u need to press hard on the accelerator for kick down.

if i just accelerate without hesitation D mode seems o be quite ok to be honest

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014
I find D fine for commuting and just driving around. If i want to be more involved then i use manual and the paddles as i can change up that bit earlier than S. I only use S if i'm at a very busy junction/roundabout as it allows you to pull out quickly with no hesitation. (DSG6)

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
D mode is fine for normal driving, it is biased towards economy after all. I use the paddles for downshifts and then a long press to go back to D. S is a bit feral, but works well in the twisties, and is nice and noisy with that popping and banging. But I use manual shifting more often.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Most manufacturers are the same, hated the OEM shift points on my Cupra 280 so had the TCU mapped, Hated the shift points on the Porsche PDK so had the PDK mapped.

silles

May 4, 2017
Most manufacturers are the same, hated the OEM shift points on my Cupra 280 so had the TCU mapped, Hated the shift points on the Porsche PDK so had the PDK mapped.

had the FR before and it had better shift points, in S mode, it was much more usable in every day, but the Cupra is faster :D