Cupra 300 ST 4x4 ordered today

Dalomas

I love the Golf R, and I imagine this 300hp AWD will be massive improvement for 95% of Cupra 280 owners. Even with 'just' XDS braking on the front axle, there's no denying that a Golf R launches and accelerates way quicker than a 280 on the road and at public road speeds. My own 280 is something like stage 1.5, 340-ish hp and it's nothing but a flurry of traction control as soon as the roads are cold or damp.

But there's also little doubt in my mind that there will be no new lap records set by this new 4WD version. It'll be trounced by the Clubsport S (which actually makes nearly 350hp on the dyno) and the old 280.

At racetrack speeds the VAQ does the job and it's a proven fact that the 280 was quicker than a Golf R at small circuits (Cadwell with autocrat) and big (Nürburgring with factory test drivers).

As such, I'm in no hurry to swap mine in. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in AWD either. Both still one of the most awesome bargains of the MQB platform!

Love-Cupra

Jul 29, 2016
Netherlands
Yes

I love the Golf R, and I imagine this 300hp AWD will be massive improvement for 95% of Cupra 280 owners. Even with 'just' XDS braking on the front axle, there's no denying that a Golf R launches and accelerates way quicker than a 280 on the road and at public road speeds. My own 280 is something like stage 1.5, 340-ish hp and it's nothing but a flurry of traction control as soon as the roads are cold or damp.

But there's also little doubt in my mind that there will be no new lap records set by this new 4WD version. It'll be trounced by the Clubsport S (which actually makes nearly 350hp on the dyno) and the old 280.

At racetrack speeds the VAQ does the job and it's a proven fact that the 280 was quicker than a Golf R at small circuits (Cadwell with autocrat) and big (Nürburgring with factory test drivers).

As such, I'm in no hurry to swap mine in. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in AWD either. Both still one of the most awesome bargains of the MQB platform!

Yes, wish I was able to frase it like that ! Like reading my mind here.
All true as a great car, great value. AWD will be slightly faster from naught to 60, but how
about the feel and the fun of cornering ? Still believe with a more "loose"car (like the FWD, but with a L/S Diff.), this is more fun. However will hardly ever be used/needed on public roads.

Safer: Yes. More sporty car: No. => IMHO, at least, and have not driven the AWD.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
My own 280 is something like stage 1.5, 340-ish hp and it's nothing but a flurry of traction control as soon as the roads are cold or damp.

Still running the factory Bridgestones on the original orange wheels? They are sh*t in the wet, I'm in Sweden and am genuinely surprised how well it goes about with PS4 in the wet unless it's greasy but even then the search for grip is a fun rather than frustrating challenge (no brake interference without traction control). And the 4S will be even better.

But I agree with the general assessment on 95%, I'm the 5% that wants a Jekyl and Hyde family wagon/sports car (=/= fast car).

The fun driving I do is on (very) twisty narrow roads and more towards rally driving than track driving. I'm torn between vaq fwd and 4wd. Now during winter I could have more fun with 4wd for sure. But during summer (wet or dry) it is about involvement, light weight and a loose car. Then I prefer the fwd because it's available with a manual (which are incidentally approx 5% of ST sales here - for me dsg just doesn't involve as much), it is almost 10% lighter and at least in the wet, the 4wd Haldex would frustrate with its electronic intervention left/right. Rear adjustability I've improved with a 25mm rear arb, bit lairy sometimes but more fun.

Either way, both are for the size and power amazingly light in modern times and have my preference above anything else, dare I say any price class? I would only change the day someone makes a similarly light modern estate with a manual and a 4wd with proper locking diffs front, middle and rear. Although the A45 AMG estate with front 'vaq' locking diff is close, it's a tad small in the back, autobox and expensive (almost twice my ST Cupra new), but surely a hoot in winter at least...

Oh didn't Sport Auto dyno the Clubsport S at 322ps/430Nm something? Good but no 350... (ecu has barometric and temp compensation so no correction factors should be used).

PS: you sold me the Cupra ST manual with you vids, thanks :)

Last edited:

musli

Aug 12, 2015
Czech Republic, Prague

Nothing much to add here, well written. I dont expect the 4x4 version to be faster (except 0-100) or sportier car. On track and dry conditions, fwd will be for sure quicker. But i am quite a defensive driver and have it as family car and also spending a lot of time in the city where 0-100 and good traction at low speeds matters the most. Not going on racetracks either so for my driving style the 4X4 is good option. The other problem with fwd is traction on bad roads and we have many like that in czech. It really depends on what one expect from the car and how and where is he using it, for some fwd is the best option and some will prefer 4x4.