Cupra and Nurbuegring lap time?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Bit like the test mule that I photographed outside the hotel in Barcelona when I was there for the estate launch in 2014.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I like the fact it's so closely related to the FR and i don't feel to traumatised now and ive always had a soft spot for a mule.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
That is ridiculous as they are all pretty much the same car and the Sub 8 set 7.58 , its like saying a remapped 280 running 350bhp will do 7.40 secs. If a 300 never mind a Cupra R could run those times it would have already of been done by Seat all IMO though.
There is a 290 with 350HP, big brakes, semi slicks, aftermarket springs/shocks doing 7.34. That's on record, far from ridiculous. And lighter, more powerful cars, as the 300 is compared to the record setting 280, generally are faster.
It's already been suggested that big Daddy VW doesn't want the limited edition Golfs eclipsed by SEAT.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
There is a 290 with 350HP, big brakes, semi slicks, aftermarket springs/shocks doing 7.34. That's on record, far from ridiculous. And lighter, more powerful cars, as the 300 is compared to the record setting 280, generally are faster.
It's already been suggested that big Daddy VW doesn't want the limited edition Golfs eclipsed by SEAT.

Ok fair enough but that's a seriously quick lap and very impressive.

alper

Feb 28, 2016

Errr... no. Do you know what BTG stands for? To see a true full 7:34 lap from a Cupra with those mods is beyond science fiction.

Ok fair enough but that's a seriously quick lap and very impressive.

Except it's not true. The guy running with that car is an excellent driver but being an individual and not a manufacturer he can only run BTG laps (bridge to gantry) which is around 1.5km shorter than the full lap the official lap times are about, apples to oranges.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Jordi showed me lots of pictures of the exact car that ran the record and quite a few phone videos when I was with him a few years ago, despite lots of people claiming it was stripped out it did have back seats etc, it was basically a FR with Cupra engine dropped into it, few aero mods like the rear thins on boot and a few KG saved with air con removed.

It would be pointless for SEAT or Cupra to try attack the times now because the current Leon MK3 is in roll out now for the arrival of the MK4, they might try to attack it again with the MK4 especially as they will want to boost the Cupra brand.
Didn't Seat say something like the lack of Air Con balanced out the extra weight of the roll cage they had fitted?

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Errr... no. Do you know what BTG stands for? To see a true full 7:34 lap from a Cupra with those mods is beyond science fiction.

I thought that time sounded ridiculous as that almost sounds impossible to achieve and now you have just shown why.

Except it's not true. The guy running with that car is an excellent driver but being an individual and not a manufacturer he can only run BTG laps (bridge to gantry) which is around 1.5km shorter than the full lap the official lap times are about, apples to oranges.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
As said above on Touristenfahrten days you can only run bridge to gantry (BTG) where as SEAT ran the full ring.

bridge_to_gantry_btg_na_nurburgring_nordschleife.jpg

In that shot above, you can see the whole distance between red Audi bridge and blue Bilstein bridge that aren't timed on Touristenfahrten days.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Err. I'm not sure it was BTG. But if you're saying his modded car is only marginally faster than the SEAT record car, and perhaps slower than the Honda pirate car, that is truly science fiction. Honda is good at SciFi.

alper

Feb 28, 2016
Err. I'm not sure it was BTG. But if you're saying his modded car is only marginally faster than the SEAT record car, and perhaps slower than the Honda pirate car, that is truly science fiction. Honda is good at SciFi.

A free reality check for you: The Honda Type-R did a 7:43 on a 20,600m long track. This guy did the 19,100m BTG in 7:30 (his best time so far). To be at least as fast as the Type-R he'd need to cover the deleted 1,500m within 13 seconds, or in easier terms: at a speed of "just" 414km/h... :coolthumb

So his car is clearly slower than the Honda. Assuming a slightly more realistic average speed of say 250km/h during that high speed 1.5km long bit, he would need 21.6 extra seconds, so a time of 7:51.6 in total. And for a non-professional driver that's a great time and the car is clearly faster than a stock Cupra but nowhere near where you imagine it to be.

Last edited:

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Incidentally, the two both fastest private Cupras at the ring have been crashed - at least one was written off and it is not sure the second his coming back either.
I am talking about the YouTube channels of these guys:

There is no published video of Thilo's crash, but he has confirmed the car was crashed and he was trying to rebuild it.
That "I am back title" was because he himself was recovering from a bike crash and coming back to driving.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Incidentally, the two both fastest private Cupras at the ring have been crashed - at least one was written off and it is not sure the second his coming back either.

There is no published video of Thilo's crash, but he has confirmed the car was crashed and he was trying to rebuild it.
That "I am back title" was because he himself was recovering from a bike crash and coming back to driving.
Was going to say that first video looked like something broke, but his YouTube page says as much.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
A free reality check for you: The Honda Type-R did a 7:43 on a 20,600m long track. This guy did the 19,100m BTG in 7:30 (his best time so far). To be at least as fast as the Type-R he'd need to cover the deleted 1,500m within 13 seconds, or in easier terms: at a speed of "just" 414km/h... :coolthumb

So his car is clearly slower than the Honda. Assuming a slightly more realistic average speed of say 250km/h during that high speed 1.5km long bit, he would need 21.6 extra seconds, so a time of 7:51.6 in total. And for a non-professional driver that's a great time and the car is clearly faster than a stock Cupra but nowhere near where you imagine it to be.

Here's another reality check, setting 7.30 during touristenfarhtenen when it's near impossible to get a clear lap is not kids play.
Until he does a full lap we'll not know for sure. Except, it's obvious the pirate car was fiddled.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
For entertainment's sake, and to show if they really wanted to there's definitely more to squeeze from the MK3 Cupra (perhaps not quite as much as 7:30 for a car you'd want to live with, but still):

Reactions: LouG

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Somebody like Sabine could get a lot closer to the Honda time in a stock car, Jordi did something like 500 practice laps but still isn't really a master of the track.

Reactions: LouG

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014

Kinda bugs me that top video because something obviously failed but he hasn't said what it was. Someone suggested the top mounts are weak especially if you lower the car but to me it seems the track rod end had to have failed as he lost steering input.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Kinda bugs me that top video because something obviously failed but he hasn't said what it was. Someone suggested the top mounts are weak especially if you lower the car but to me it seems the track rod end had to have failed as he lost steering input.
Yeah, I also asked him to clarify what had failed, since it is a bit scary prospect...
...with that said, that was not the first crash of that car at the Nürburgring, so it is likely that there could have been prior damage.
Also, that car did countless laps of the ring, riding correctors, etc.... All that stress might have played a part.
But it is clear something failed and it sucks and no one could do nothing to save it there.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.