Cupra and R opinion..

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I know that it's not really relevant but for me this caption from the Pistonheads Sub 8 review pretty much sums up my feelings on the R - Cupra debate,

(Here's a simpler way to put it: in three days of driving the Leon I smiled more than in dozens driving our long-term Golf R. It's a bit edgy at times, you have to be brutal to get the best from it and with any moisture on the road the Golf is quicker. But as a hot hatch experience, as a car to derive some joy from, it's way more invigorating than the Golf and the standard Leon Cupra too.)

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
The 10ps power increase for the R is insignificant, a stage 1 re-map will put that out of question anyway.
I wonder though, genuine question, is it possible to make the geometry and set-up changes the R got to a regular Cupra?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yes it will be, the interior of the R will feel a little bit more special for the performance hardware (set up power etc) can all be achieved by a normal Cupra.

its the looks parts ie bumpers, carbon bits that cost ££££

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
It just comes down to preference but like the review said the R is quicker in anything other than dry but the Cupra is a lot more fun but as I've said before I'd be happy with either but it's just the Sub 8 for now.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The 10ps power increase for the R is insignificant, a stage 1 re-map will put that out of question anyway.
I wonder though, genuine question, is it possible to make the geometry and set-up changes the R got to a regular Cupra?
If you can get geometry specs, a good alignment man can tell you if the standard car can be set up the same.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I think you boys are on a different thread lol but I like geo set up as much as the next man
No we're on the right thread. I think the poster was saying you maybe able to get the handling of the R in a normal Cupra by copying its geometry. I doubt it will be possible as it has increased from camber over the normal Cupra, and you can;t adjust the camber on these cars.

However you can fit adjustable on set increased camber top mounts,.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
No we're on the right thread. I think the poster was saying you maybe able to get the handling of the R in a normal Cupra by copying its geometry. I doubt it will be possible as it has increased from camber over the normal Cupra, and you can;t adjust the camber on these cars.

However you can fit adjustable on set increased camber top mounts,.
No i am the poster lol and I was saying that the handling is as good or better in the dry but the R is quicker in the wet but the main point was the Cupra is for fun for me anyway and if you look at my post you will see I put part of the article from a Pistonheads review of the Sub 8 which sums up the way I feel about the two cars.

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

With new hardware it is very easy to change both Camber and Caster using something like this SUPALOY DUROBALL ARM KIT

You can also fit different Ball Joint kits that change the Camber so there are lots of options if you are so inclined.

Have to say so far I have personally found the Cupra setup to be great and the only reason I tried changing was because i have lowered the car and was trying to get rid of rubbing.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Edit - And i know you were the thread poster, I was replying to someone who had replied to you.

Right so your post is about the Cupra and Golf R. Not the Cupra and R.

Everyone who has replied to you has been talking about the Cupra and Cupra R (which has 10 more hp than the Cupra). Hence talking whether or not the geometry that the Cupra R has can be replicated on a normal Cupra. This we all missed the Golf in the quote :joystick:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
With new hardware it is very easy to change both Camber and Caster using something like this SUPALOY DUROBALL ARM KIT

You can also fit different Ball Joint kits that change the Camber so there are lots of options if you are so inclined.

Have to say so far I have personally found the Cupra setup to be great and the only reason I tried changing was because i have lowered the car and was trying to get rid of rubbing.
What were those things you had fitted to increase camber/caster but took off? I like the idea of those as I'm unlikely to be lowering the car anytime soon.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Edit - And i know you were the thread poster, I was replying to someone who had replied to you.

Right so your post is about the Cupra and Golf R. Not the Cupra and R.

Everyone who has replied to you has been talking about the Cupra and Cupra R (which has 10 more hp than the Cupra). Hence talking whether or not the geometry that the Cupra R has can be replicated on a normal Cupra. This we all missed the Golf in the quote :joystick:

All makes sense now lol on the heading but if they looked at the thread they would have seen , my mistake and I'll start a new one.

Deleted member 103408

What were those things you had fitted to increase camber/caster but took off? I like the idea of those as I'm unlikely to be lowering the car anytime soon.

That is what these are, you can also just fit the bushes although that was going to be a lot more work fitting them.

DPM Dont do these but they do one by Whiteline that does the same thing

And you can also get the Adjustable top mounts to help

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
That is what these are, you can also just fit the bushes although that was going to be a lot more work fitting them.

DPM Dont do these but they do one by Whiteline that does the same thing

And you can also get the Adjustable top mounts to help
May try and see what parts are different on the R for a more OEM look.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members