Cupra at TSR

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
First, oil mist started blowing out of the Forge spacer onto the turbo pipe, then I found oil in the intake pipes so I vented the breather pipe to atmosphere, then it started smoking as I pulled out of a junction. TSR have stripped down the block - no.1 piston is gone, (the injectors are not flowing enough fuel) and the big end bearings are worn. Looks like it needs pistons, bearings, injectors and an adjustment to the map. Not exactly happy about that, have asked TSR to build engine stronger, guess I will have to miss GTi Inters, 1st time since I started going in '95. s*** happens.:(

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Interesting that the injectors have failed to flow enough (or have failed)

What's the market like for replacement parts?

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
i have seen before that you have tried hard to break the engine lol so well done. i really really wanted one of these cars but i dont think i would touch one with a barge pole now! what a bag of nails.(not your car cupras and bocs in general)

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
i have seen before that you have tried hard to break the engine lol so well done. i really really wanted one of these cars but i dont think i would touch one with a barge pole now! what a bag of nails.(not your car cupras and bocs in general)

Bit of a sweeping generalisation :)

PRATTY

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
WOW! It has taken ages for something to break on your motor mate and to be fair, it has not been driven like a daily runner either has it? Pity bout you missing inters but best to get the car perfect again mate.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Gutted for you mate. I:banned: wasnt clear by your post on what caused it. I take it u still had the revo2 map. My injectors have gone a few times but never ruined any pistons or barings although would seat even tell me if they were worn? Also tsr? Im assuming they arnt seat. Couldnt you have got this done under warrenty

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
its true though! well aware im going to upset all of you in the mk5 section but i think the problems people have been having with these engines and gearbox's is really really bad! people picking up new cars and engines failing within the day,rattling gearbox's ect ect! they may as well fitted a vhpd rover k series engine. in this day and age an engine should be good for the life of the car not 100/5k/20k miles ect? has anyone actually done more than 20k miles in there cupra/boc?

as i have said before in other threads i was looking to get a cupra when funds allowed but this has finished this dream of mine off.i think its a real shame as they could of been such good cars if they shared the same reliability as past seats i have owned. for instance my mk3 ihi never missed a beat running double and more hp on the standard engine and uprating the parts around it.

im aware there are the people that dont have problems and other people that dont used forums that are happy with there cars but in the same breath we dont hear about there problems they may even be more shocking! i wouldnt dream of buying one of these cars now unless they revised the engine.

i really feel for the people that buy these out of warranty ££££.

is this work being covered by seat warrenty

Last edited:

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
There have been alot of guys with REVO talking of engine management lights flashing when they accelerate and now and engine going pop.

Irrelevant of the injectors not being able to flow enough fuel, the map shouldnt push it that far, you need plenty of headroom with injectors.

this is the reason i chose not to go with REVO. I think they push things to ensure they are the highest performers

with any luck these are just one off's but ill be contacting my tuner just to ensure there is headroom in the injectors

Last edited:

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
My car is on 26k miles. It's at Seat now to see if it needs the newer uprated injectors or fuel pump. It seems its the older cars before the revised parts that are having the issues.

Also Standard cars are having the same problems so its not just down to Revo.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
i would be interested to know if polo gti owners and fabia owners are having the same problems.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
There have been alot of guys with REVO talking of engine management lights flashing when they accelerate and now and engine going pop.

Irrelevant of the injectors not being able to flow enough fuel, the map shouldnt push it that far, you need plenty of headroom with injectors.

this is the reason i chose not to go with REVO. I think they push things to ensure they are the highest performers

with any luck these are just one off's but ill be contacting my tuner just to ensure there is headroom in the injectors

they must be mapping stage 1 with "headroom" as how would they be able to push them further with stage 2 and even stage 2+

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
No faults in the ECU so they can't do anything.

To be fair I tried to get it to do it the other day but it wouldn't. I'm wondering if there was a sub par batch of v-power that went out??

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
Here in Portugal there's an old man, yes Old Man! Driving a Cupra, 88k on the clock and no problems at all.

Just the Bi-Xenon went nuts, his oil usaged was noticeable until 20k, after that it stopped.

So I think most problems are in the UK or maybe the fuel you guys are using. We have max 98Ron here.

Maybe 99RON / 100RON it's just too much for this little engine.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
cant say im impressed with a car managing 54kmiles on an engine. cyborg whats your experience with the cupra/boc? any problems?

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
I've not experienced any problem yet. I'm just clocking 7200km atm.
I'm pushing it hard from the very first day. No flashing lights, no misfires. Only time will tell.

Mine's going for it's 1st anniversary this August.

I've been using Galp Geforce 98 and BP Ultimate 98. Nothing else.

Used 2.5/2.7lt oil for now.