Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
It’s the end of October and we’ve travelled over to the roads of Barcelona to drive the first ever car from the new CUPRA spin-off brand from SEAT.  Before we get into the review let’s recap on the features of the car.

Engine and gearbox

The CUPRA Ateca takes the popular Ateca from SEAT and puts a fire under the bonnet in the form of the four-cylinder 2 litre TSI Petrol engine producing 300PS of power and 400Nm of torque.  Combined with 7 speed DSG transmission and an all-wheel-drive system the car reaches 60mph in 5.2 seconds.  The CUPRA Ateca’s top speed is 153mph.

The seven-speed gearbox is newly engineered to provide faster, smoother and more precise changes than previous sporty models produced by SEAT.  The car...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: Billyray911

ElBrillante

Nov 8, 2018
Estepona, Spain
www.youtube.com
Did all the Press cars have bucket seats and the Brembo upgrades? It's difficult to know what to spec when the only reviews done seem to have been made in versions with all the options ticked!

Also, if you had to pick a colour (that dreadful battleship grey aside) what would you pick? Personally I think only Rodium works with the copper highlighted wheels but the red does look nice in some pictures.

X3RN

Nov 11, 2018
Norfolk, UK
I'm personally a massive fan of the Cupra Ateca! Keep on seeing it and for the sorts of hobbies I do, it would be the perfect car! Big enough to carry bikes etc and fun enough to have it as a bit of a toy!

Billyray911

Aug 12, 2018
Did all the Press cars have bucket seats and the Brembo upgrades? It's difficult to know what to spec when the only reviews done seem to have been made in versions with all the options ticked!

Also, if you had to pick a colour (that dreadful battleship grey aside) what would you pick? Personally I think only Rodium works with the copper highlighted wheels but the red does look nice in some pictures.

I think that the rodium is the only colour that I would spec,however I do like the red.
I really like the bucket seats but it seems that they won’t be available in the uk.If you want to see what the standard sport seats look like,have a look at the recent Auto Express review.

ElBrillante

Nov 8, 2018
Estepona, Spain
www.youtube.com
I really like the bucket seats but it seems that they won’t be available in the uk

I live in Spain and they're an option here. Having looked at them both (via the steady stream of videos appearing) I think I prefer the standard seats, plus it sounds like they allow a bit more rear leg room.

Spent yesterday afternoon at my local SEAT dealer trying to find out what I could. Seems like they're building a first batch to a particular spec and they're in White or Blue. All with the Brembo brakes, copper/diamond cut wheels, DAB, alarm and panoramic roof options. No real idea on delivery times but they seemed confident it would be 10 weeks. There were some hefty discounts being bandied around too :thumbup:

I think we have more control of spec than is currently being suggested for the UK. I provisionally spec'd Rodium, copper wheels, Brembos, panoramic roof, black interior bits, Beats audio. No real need for the winter pack and leather just gets hot and sticky in the Summer. Now waiting to hear back from them about finance options, confirm the discount and timescales

Reactions: Billyray911

Billyray911

Aug 12, 2018
I live in Spain and they're an option here. Having looked at them both (via the steady stream of videos appearing) I think I prefer the standard seats, plus it sounds like they allow a bit more rear leg room.

Spent yesterday afternoon at my local SEAT dealer trying to find out what I could. Seems like they're building a first batch to a particular spec and they're in White or Blue. All with the Brembo brakes, copper/diamond cut wheels, DAB, alarm and panoramic roof options. No real idea on delivery times but they seemed confident it would be 10 weeks. There were some hefty discounts being bandied around too :thumbup:

I think we have more control of spec than is currently being suggested for the UK. I provisionally spec'd Rodium, copper wheels, Brembos, panoramic roof, black interior bits, Beats audio. No real need for the winter pack and leather just gets hot and sticky in the Summer. Now waiting to hear back from them about finance options, confirm the discount and timescales

Thanks for that update-keep us posted on how you get on please!

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
Test drive and ordered our Cupra Ateca last week. Without bucket seats, as they are very limited in the way you can adjust them. Example, no adjustable lumbar support. Standard seats felt exactly like the seats in our current Leon ST FR. We did spec leather interior though, not convinced by the standard seats in alcantara/fake leather combi.

As for colour: red. Since - at least here in Belgium - it seems everyone already drives a black or grey car. We did a test ride with a red Cupra Ateca, and really liked the colour. Saw the rodium grey in reality, and we did not like it. It seems all press/internet pictures, especially the ones from Cupra itself, are heavily edited. Instagram effect, anyone?

The test car was indeed equipped with the Brembo brakes, nice feel to them, plenty of stopping power. But: they cannot be combined with spare wheel (an absolute must for us), and I have doubts on reliability. The dealer unofficially advised us not to take the Brembo brakes for a daily driver, as a carwash or deep pool on hot brakes might be enough to warp the discs. Seems to be a recurring problem on sporty Audis as well...

Reactions: Syphon

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Does anybody know or can find out how many Cupra Ateca's have been sold? It looks like there are only 500 in the UK? And are people receiving the limited edition gift pack with their cars?
I think the limited edition gift pack was only for the first 600 worldwide or something. As part of the CupraCare package (which is standard) you get a snazzy carbon fibre Cupra bracelet and a carbon fibre key cover...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise