Cupra brake paint overhaul

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I posted a while back about the rubbish paint finish that comes on the standard Cupra brakes and also how mine has started to go pink ater washing my car.

So as its the bank holiday weekend and i had time on my hands i thought i would get them done.

Started off jacking the car up and inspecting what lay ahead.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

All i can say is they were dirty as hell.

So i used bilberry wheel cleaner and daisy apc mixed at a ratio of 3 to 1 and a wheel cleaner brush and detailing brush , this is the results with just these 2 products

4-1.jpg

as you can see a massive improvement.
once i was happy i had removed all the brake dust i used the following products in order to restore and protect the paint.

First off i used T cut , i dont really like using this but it would remove any brake dust that was in the top layer of the paint and also to remove the pink oxidisation on the caliper ,
next up i used Auto glym super resin polish , followed by Meguairs nxt2 wax , this is not a true wax more a filler and paint sealent and lastly i used Clearcote vanilla moose glaze , this gives a lovely wet look to the paint.

7-2.jpg

9-1.jpg

what was on my cloth after all the products had been applied

12.jpg

Once all of these had been put on , it was time to mask off everything ready for the laquer to be applied

10.jpg

in the gap where the rubber bellows are which house the piston i used a piece of card board just to cover it up

13.jpg

i then applied 3 coats of laquer about 15 mins apart.
And this is the final result

11.jpg

A massive difference from what i first found when removing my wheels.
The wheels were put back on and the laquer left to dry overnight

Just something else to add , while the wheel was off i put them on the bathroom scales and they came in at 22 KG each !

Iwill post up the rear calipers tomorrow.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Well done.
Will the Halfords laquer stand up to the heat? Also will the laquer stick after you have applied all those products?

Heres mine, I didn't laquer them just cleaned them up with some menzerna then a coat of jeffs acrylic then 2 coats of poorborys wheel sealent - the wheels had the same but dressed with chemical guys tyre dressing. the hubs were painted with some dark grey caliper paint that i picked up off ebay.

DSCF0467.jpg

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Top job both above. Might have to give it a go myself. Wheels are coming off on Tuesday for a refurb and powder coating, car will be jacked up all day at the wheel place. I'll ask if they mind me bringing my cleaning products :)

Scott

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hi Steve,

Each side took about 1 1/2 hours including jacking the car up and masking the wheels for the lacquering.

I did the rear brakes today and also nice and shiny :D

also washed the car and the lacquer was bone dry and hard which was a good sign and repelled water really well , so very pleased , and they still look lovely deep red.

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
yes sticks like **** to a blanket , no problems at all.

I'm amazed the lacquer would stick to the wax, which after all isn't solid. When the caliper heats up, the wax would possibly become more runny(?) and the lacquer would be affected?

Not knocking it, and you've done a great job on the caliper!!

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I amazed the lacquer would stick to the wax, which after all isn't solid. When the caliper heats up, the wax would possibly become more runny(?) and the lacquer would be affected?

Not knocking it, and you've done a great job on the caliper!!

Only 1 way to find out , i have a 200 mile trip home tomorrow so will soon tell.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
If it's motorway miles then they'll probably stay cool.
The Cat and Fiddle road isn't a million miles from you :p

Hope their ok :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.