Cupra brake upgrade

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Basically as title says, im looking to upgrade the brakes on my cupra and just have a few questions.
I have a 300ish bhp cupra but it has been left on standard brakes up until now and i desperately need more stopping power so.....

I have read on here, along with the how to guide about the s3 upgrade but have also heard about an s2 upgrade?
I have not seen anything on here about the s2 brakes which made me wonder about it?
Has anyone done it atall?
What would you all recommend to go for?
Basically im looking for as much reviews as possible both about upgrades i have not mentioned, how good each works, best setup for the cost etc

Cheers
Paul

Jokerman261

James
Apr 9, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Have a google for s2 brake upgrades on mk2 golfs, I looked it up before but wasn't convinced. 312 doesn't seem worth it either as it's still single pot.

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Have a google for s2 brake upgrades on mk2 golfs, I looked it up before but wasn't convinced. 312 doesn't seem worth it either as it's still single pot.

Thats the 1 thing that put me off the s3 upgrade is that its still a single pot caliper
I am still doing some research on google etc but just looking for other thoughts and opinions :)

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Bill, at badger5 does a good disc and pad combo known to take glowing red hot abuse and still function perfectly... For the std 280mm setup.

312mm is a good upgrade. Remember these aren't heavy cars! 312mm on good quality disks and some ferrodo ds2500 pads and you'll love it.. Or go whole hog and do a 305 mm brembo conversion... But that's a lot more cash.

If cash isn't an issue some rear Porsche calipers can have brackets made to fit to 305 or 315 Leon cupra r brembo size disc. But beware a 4 pot caliper with pistons too large will cause a crap pedal and loss of brake feel and modulation. So do lots of research into it if you decide on this route.

And if your feeling flush I'm sure some 2 piece disks and ap racing calipers world work wonders!

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Cheers, i just read about bills setup and am very interested, also researching the s2 calipers, seems these have some good, some neutral reviews
The 1 thing im also thinking about is what would be worth it, i mean i wont be doing much more than road driving, only the odd track day

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Cheers, i just read about bills setup and am very interested, also researching the s2 calipers, seems these have some good, some neutral reviews
The 1 thing im also thinking about is what would be worth it, i mean i wont be doing much more than road driving, only the odd track day

Unless your driving a like a mega nutcase you won't kill bills 280 set up. But you can have the same idea and it be 312mm which for road use would probably be more than plenty.

I haven't read any great reviews of the twin piston s2 calipers. Most say you better off with something else for the hassle.

I run the Ibiza cupra r 305 mm brembos with ds2500 pads and I can tell you they are scary scary good you have to keep your wits when pushing on as it can try to come round on you stopping that quick!

My brother ran the 312 mm on his pd130 Ibiza and they made a noticeable difference with oem pads.

Chambers, I bet those ap's are nice!

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Yeah i bet those AP are good, must cost a pretty penny too.
I have been looking online about those twin piston s2 brakes on mk2, people are saying the only downfall with them is the weight.
Was also looking up bills setup, which for the discs+ pads would be around the £300 mark, around the same price as the 312mm setup. For the girling 60 setup it seems they are going for about £100.
I have looked for an icr brembo setup to price them up but seem quite rare to get hold of, are they 280mm same as my cupra? Just obviously brembo instead, what kind of price would i be looking at for them?
I wont grudge paying £300 or more on decent brakes as obviously its a must, im just trying to figure out best setup for the price :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.