Cupra- Do they look sporty or normal?

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
A bit of a pointless ranting thread sorry..! :whistle:

I have had a few people in my work now slate the looks of my Leon FR+ by saying that it looks like any other Leon and looks "just like a very basic normal car"...and "its no-where near as good as a BMW" etc etc

A leon 1.6S was parked beside mine in the car-park and they still couldnt see any sporty differences!

Now..i dont normally rise to these things as its normally just girls (no offense!) who say this but apart from 1 other guy they all agreed!

It seems the only ones that notice differences are a few of my mates and my bro!

It seems badge snobbery is still rife, maybe even especially in the Civil Service!

Im so confused as I love the looks and would spot one a mile off. they are aggressive looking and definately look sporty.
i just think its the badge...Cupra isnt well known in the general public. I asked if they could tell the difference between a basic Golf and the GTI and they said only because they have heard of the GTI.

Has anyone else had to put up with this? :confused:

Last edited:

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
TBH thats just rediculous, if you park a cupra, let alone a cupra r next to a standard leaon its like chalk and cheese, they are taking the p155 mate.

The wheels, bumpers , ride height, exhaust, stance etc are all difference, there is little stigma against Seat nowadays, even my girlfriend likes them and she knows nothing lol but if you mention a skoda the nose turns up.

Tabazan

I quite like the fact they don't shove the sporty element down your throat (so to speak!) . .

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
Know how you feel but just ignore it, they do to me look sporty. I would admit the pre facelift cupra's didnt. As for berks i had a similar thing 2 weeks ago, me gf spoke to one of her old friends over the phone, hasnt see her and her fella for years. They are skint and drive around in bangers, i dont even think they work tbh.

He asked what car my gf had and she told him and then what i had. All he said was "pfft SEAT!!! what a load of crap, i bet it doesnt even do over 150, rubbish cars". When she told me what he said i was furious and i dont even know him. How someone can base their opinions on a car on top speed is beyond me. I couldnt give to hoots if it topped out at 110 tbh i wouldnt go near that anyway, since when did top speed mean ANYTHINGa bout how good or bad a car is. What a totall plonker and he is about 40 aswell and knows cars apparently.

Anyone that thinks "YEAH LOOKS ITS A BM LIKE MUST BE GOOD" is a berk and deserves to be shot, perhaps they are of the ilk that thinks the new shape CTR is nice, now that is over the top sporty.

Last edited:

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
They must be winding you up, unless you are driving a prefacelift because they do look like 1.4's with multispokes :-s

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
Very true chris ha ha.

mine gets called boyracer car at work!!

They all drive high end mercs and audis and bmws though!!

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Definately wernt trying to wind me up, well not intentially!

Agree with Schnipps coz they point at a BM and are like 'oooh now thats a good car'...even if its a basic old 3.16!
Im not too bothered as they obviously know nothing about cars but then i just wish they wouldnt talk total crap as if they think they're experts!

Im very protective about my car!! :lol:
Wish someone else in my buidling had one to back me up!

fishpie

I too like the 'understated' not in your face but sporty look! I think the people you work with are chumps. What cars do they drive and do they think they are sporty. Bet they all Corsa's or even Nova's lol

I would agree that the pre 2003 facelift on the standard cupra is starting to look a little dated and normal.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Who gives a flying ferk what anyone else thinks. If you like it then thats all that matters. Someone elses ignorance shouldn't be your problem unless you have a major insecurity about the 'status' your car gives you, and the fact not everyone recognises it the same as you do. Leave them to their sad little world.

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
I think from certain angles it does look a bit pants.

Head on it looks mean with the narrow headlights and splitter, and from side on it looks the nuts with large wheels and red brembos.

However from the back I think it looks very plain. The oval exhaust is nice but for some reason it looks a bit naff to me.

Someone once asked me why I'd put huge alloys on my car and painted the brakes red. Was I a boy racer?. Had to explain it was standard.....

I must admit I prefer the look of Q cars. eg. LCR over FRS or WRX / EVO. Much less agro from the filth and gypos.

Is the LCR a marmite car? :shrug:

Best thing to do is to take any doubters for a quick spin. Then you'll get comments like "wolf in sheep's clothing etc.".

CustardCupra

Feb 2, 2002
Cleveland
Visit site
Glad to see your so passionate about your car and the way it looks but don't let other peoples ignorance/arrogance sway you from what is a perfectly good car tho' at times overlooked by people who don't know their arses from their elbows. .

Imagine the sh1t i get from some peeps owning a 350 bhp ibiza and a LCR [:@] and yet on the other hand i get alot of envy:redface: .

Just rise above it m8[B)]

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
enjoy the banter mate. just remember to wave when you steam past them:D

dont agree with preface lift comments either. i park up oppersite a car shop everyday and she gets lots of admirers. my car was always designed to be a sleeper anyway but to say its not sporty is pants.

each to there own tho....;)

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
The only thing anyones ever said to me was "thats the coolest, most modified ibiza i've ever seen"
Obviously the foot wide leon sign on the boot is a bit subtle for some :stick:

paul26982

i love owning an under estimated car to be honest, people dont relise what they like until they have a good look at them

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.