Cupra- Do they look sporty or normal?

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
well for a "very normal looking car" it certainly turns heads,damn even had a porsche driver commented on the car last week at the supermarket,had just been washed n waxed and was looking good but he really liked the look of it and thought you "got a hell of a lot of car for the money".........says he sittin in his brand new 911 turbo :D
obviously they're pulling your pi**er mate or just too dumb to recognise class:whistle:

chris h

I think the best thing about the cupras is that they look as though there is something special about them but it is done in a way that is OTT. Scoobys and EVOs can look good but they definitely tread a fine line between sporty and chavy, the cupras do not :ban: . They seem to be more about understated and more 'grown up' looks, am thinking along the lines of performance Audis and VWs.

The most annoying thing that someone said to me was, in a very patronising voice 'mmmm... nice RED calipers'. If he wasnt the 16 year old cousin of my girlfriend i could have swung for him. On the subject of the gf she also calls the car a Boyracer car but did say possibly the funniest thing about the car. When i first bought it she led me around to the front of the car to show me that i might have a red crisp packet stuck in the front wheel :confused: . It was dark but come on!

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
I have suffered this problem myself..... but ultimately there are many people who like my car and know and respect what it is.... You should never get bothered about idiots who know nothing about cars.

I had my new Blue Flame full system delivered to work and when I was loading it in the car a couple of people said "Oooo that's a bit boy racer" purely because all they saw was the tail pipe which is big for most cars but hardly any bigger than my standard system.

These people I just laugh at as they do not understand cars and are obviously not aware of the advantages of having a larger free-er flowing exhaust system on an LCR..... Its just peoples perseptions. When I worked for BMW even if I took a basic WHITE!!! 316 home people were wow nice car, purely because of the badge even though most cars nowadays come better equiped than it! Nothing you can do but sit back and smile at the poor fools who will go along in life and think they have made it when they get there 316.....

:)

Thanks BruceL

nickh_s

I reckon your workmates are blind or mad - I have been getting the complete opposite reaction to my facelift LC. Moved up from a knackered Cordoba and all I've been getting from friends and neighbours is compliments and requests to go for a drive.
(Oh and owing to just having had a milestone birthday, constant mickey taking about mid life crisis from a certain woman who is my wife for the time being and her mates!)

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
Who gives a flying ferk what anyone else thinks. If you like it then thats all that matters. Someone elses ignorance shouldn't be your problem unless you have a major insecurity about the 'status' your car gives you, and the fact not everyone recognises it the same as you do.

well said that man!

my uncle is a mechanic and hates seat's but he hasn't been in mine yet! :funk:

adam_tdi

dervmeister
Feb 27, 2005
walsall
www.peugeot-gti.net
i always get good comments about my car on every site i go to from all ages of people too. saying that, whilst in a conversation about my car with some blokes an old fella with a beard reffered to it as horrible, guess what he drives ...........a mondeo lol

STPCG

Enzo Ferrari next :-)
Nov 10, 2006
Lincolnshire
what do they know!!

I had two kids say "great car mate" today, when are kids ever wrong!! :D my FR+ looks awsome especialy in black,

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
The LCR is a good looking car. When I started at my company I was the only one with a SEAT never mind a cupra. There are now 5 cupras and 2 LCR's, so who cares what people think, its your car, enjoy it. I refuse to pay £££££ for a badge, if there is a reason such as reliabilty, looks, performance etc then fair enough. But I get all of that for a reasonable price and with some exclusivity, no clone for me.

Last edited:

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Simple answer is don't listen to them! I've had all sorts of pi55 take and general absue about my Leons over the past four years, from the colour (I'm now on my second yellow one) through to the badge and the fact it has the same name as something you sit on.

Seats do have a great reputation amoungst those in the know, the only bad comment I get about my new FR is the colour.

You should just laugh @ badge snobbery, if people want to pay ££££ for a golf with less spec woe fool them! The company car park @ work is full of new golfs, BMs etc. There is a lot to be said for individuality.

Jan 19, 2006
fife, scotland
the new golf is absolutely howling anyway, i like the gti but the more standard ones look like they're cheaper made than the mk4, and given twenty grand to play with i would choose the new leon cupra over the golf gti every time

mikecupra

As people have said as long as you like it what does it matter what others think.I think the facelift ones look quite a bift different form a std 1.6,whereas like my earlier cupra,they do not look that much different.
BUt as said its whats under the bonnet that counts and its a cracking engine!

GavinT

I was gonna buy the R with 225 bhp then changed my mind due to buying a bouse and also I tried the 180VT and loved it. The first one I tried was Ovni yellow with full electric leather interior which was OK but then I tried a maroon one which had been debadged. I do like the later bodykit and thinks it looks fab but I have always liked subtle Q cars! Anyone who scoffs at SEAT now is clearly a w*nk as they are rated by all magazines as only slightly less fun to drive than Focus and havong owned both, the SEAt is the far better car!

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
You could also take it that the bog standard Leon/Toledo looks relatively sporty compared to most other entry models from other manufacturers anyway. I agree that perhaps there wasn't originally quite enough to distinguish the original cupra from other models.

Although the design is looking a bit long in the tooth now compared to the highly stylised cars you get now (most of which I don't like), it compares very favourably if compared with other marques designed around the same time.

Regarding snobbery against SEAT in general, just ignore it. Generally the comments I get about the Toledo are 'do you know that's a bargain VW' (which I think is meant as a compliment, even though VW reliability has tailed of in recent years). At the end of the day I like having lots of kit and oomph for what I paid - and I wouldn't trade it for a Golf or a Bora because how many of them do you see around?!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
this thread is worthless without a poll.

But i would say sporty, but thats only the facelift ones with all the sideskirts and stuff. the older ones look like normal leons

PABLO ESCABAR

formally CUPRASMIFF
Jun 26, 2005
staffordshire
this thread is worthless without a poll.

But i would say sporty, but thats only the facelift ones with all the sideskirts and stuff. the older ones look like normal leons

DSC00043.jpg
[/IMG]
have to agree with you on that one mate,,thats why i changed mine and now i get some proper looks,even afterSnetterton i had 3 lads out side the shops by us tell me that me car was stunnin and like "one of those that was racin on tele today" ,,,,,,made my day:clap:

Cupraloon

Badge Snobbery

I think to a degree there is a lot of badge snobbery, thats why people buy BMW's 318 and take the 318 off, then its a BMW, and the lay man only see's BMW, and think umm thats an expensive car.

as for Seat V's VW the Leon Cupra is the better car (my view) against a Golf GTi in performance terms, But non car people don't know Seat ?? whereas VW is everywhere, I almost bought a Mk4 Golf Gti, but the Leon won, basically because it has more character/individuality, and was more powerful, a part of me wishes I'd gone for the Cupra R with 225bhp, but things being what they are etc, etc...

As a 'Q' car the Leon Cupra is the the ultimate in supprise the Cupra R even more so, tho' I have to admitt the Leon Cupra is a little bland looking the Cupra R less so coz of the deeper front bumper, but surely this is an advantage as it's less likely to get targeted by thiefs and the like.

I kinda like the 'Q' car look having run several stock looking highly tuned motors in past times that went like stink, it appeals to my perverted sense of humour, when you hammer past a car costing 3 times as much :redface: :redface:

I love my Cupra, but 180 bhp is just not enough, I need more, that's the problem when you ride bikes, car's just don't give you the same buzz, maybe it's only me...:confused:

:rolleyes: CL

Last edited by a moderator:

Arctic

Jun 15, 2005
Newcastle...ish
I think they look quite sporty, even my parents think it does, at end of the day it was either a pretty low spec VW golf/Astra/Focus or the highly equipped Leon in FR form, didnt take long to choose!