CUPRA Formentor general discussion

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
It's a Cupra branded model so why does it also have the Cupra lettering below the Cupra brand logo on the back? It's double cupra badging, it would make more sense to have Formentor lettering. I can understand having Cupra lettering on the mk3 Leon as it has a SEAT badge but this is like having the SEAT badge and then instead of saying Leon as on non cupra versions it saying SEAT which would look odd as this does.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I'm getting confused now as to what the Cupra brand is meant to be. Since the Cupra versions have existed of SEAT cars they have been the top of the range performance model. Now we are getting Cupra branded cars but they're all SUV's so far, currently the fashion. Now we have a car badged as Cupra Cupra with a 1.4 engine plus hybrid tech and there's going to be a 2.0 Turbo version, will that be the Cupra Curpa Plus.

As there's going to be SEAT badged version of the same car tI would expect there'll also be a Formentor FR which based on the current FR range of cars will have barely any visual difference except the badges from the Cupra Cupra (Formentor).

I guess that the Mk4 Leon Cupra will be the 1st Cupra branded hot hatch, will this be badged as Cupra Cupra?

Non car enthusiast people already ask me what my SEAT Cupra model is as they don't know, I have to tell them it's a Leon. I can only see the confusion rising further with the Cupra Cupra badged cars. I do wonder how these will appear in search engines and popular car sales websites, I searched a few years ago for Fiat Punto Abarths and wondered why none were for sale nationally, I then realised they were listed under manufacturer Abarth. How many folk will make the same error with Cupra, especially when we will be in a position of both SEAT Cupra cars and also Cupra Cupra cars on the market??

batmanvip123

Oct 11, 2016
20190308121538.jpg

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
As there's going to be SEAT badged version of the same car tI would expect there'll also be a Formentor FR which based on the current FR range of cars will have barely any visual difference except the badges from the Cupra Cupra (Formentor).

Is there a mention of this anywhere or a source for that info? (regarding there being a Seat Formentor in the future)

That's a dealbreaker for me, as someone who loves the design of the Formentor and would love to get one. I'm also a fan of the move to a Cupra sub-brand, but I agree that they clearly don't know what direction they want to take it and there's no indication they're a 'performance' brand at all.

Personally I'd much prefer the only 'Cupra' on it is the bronze accenting and the badges, the lettering should be 'FORMENTOR' especially with such a badass name.

Also, can anyone comment on why we don't really ever see Hybrids with engines bigger than 1.4? IIRC the GTE makes use of a 1.4 engine too as a 'performance' car. I'm actually quite a fan of the idea of a high performance hybrid with the horses to back it up, perhaps a 2.0L engine with the hybrid tech to improve initial acceleration in 'cupra' mode and for start-stop in town to make it more daily-able.

Sarah

Jan 18, 2021
I enjoyed her review. Haven't seen her before. The car's shape and height reminds me of the bmw x2 i owed for a short time in October when i changed from a c43 before i got the audi. Not as high as the usual suv but not as low as a normal car. I thought they were higher before i saw that. Nice sound to it too from the exhaust.
I would definitely watch her reviews again. She's very enthusiastic

Reactions: jcbmally

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I really enjoyed this review. It's in spanish and I suffered with auto translate, but the interesting parts are when the journalist compared height of the Formentor with the Leon. Apparently Formentor is only two centimeters taller if you don't count roof rack. And all of those 2cms are below the car. Biggest difference is the height of the hood.

He even went into physics and math and compared Leon with Formentor in regards to centrifugal force. His conclusion is that since Formentor is 5cm wider, this offsets the 2cm of height and the car is almost as capable as Leon in the corners.

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Range rover Evoque just tried to burn me at the lights. Was hard keeping my revs down and not giving it the full beans but I saw him off ha

Reactions: Peyton

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
Just seen that the new Tiguan R has been released. I used the online configurator and for an equivalent spec to my Formentor VZ Edition (sunroof, leather, assistance etc.) it comes out at over £50k! All that and there are only 4 colours to choose from, not sure where VW are coming from but I don't see a 15% premium for the VW box?

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Just seen that the new Tiguan R has been released. I used the online configurator and for an equivalent spec to my Formentor VZ Edition (sunroof, leather, assistance etc.) it comes out at over £50k! All that and there are only 4 colours to choose from, not sure where VW are coming from but I don't see a 15% premium for the VW box?
Good investigation. What's the performance spec on that gregums? That's what I loved about SEAT in the first place and now cupra, the value for money you get, they give you proper value for their custom

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
Good investigation. What's the performance spec on that gregums? That's what I loved about SEAT in the first place and now cupra, the value for money you get, they give you proper value for their custom
Same performance at the VZ 0-62 in 4.9s. You can add an Akrapovic exhaust, but that adds another £3.1k!!!

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Same performance at the VZ 0-62 in 4.9s. You can add an Akrapovic exhaust, but that adds another £3.1k!!!
Jesus and no guess to what looks better as well!! I assume the Tiguan is bigger and more practical but I'm not sure how much more you need over the Formentor for an average lifestyle

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.