Cupra FR vs 20VT vs Cupra

dgrose

Hi all,

I is a newbie - just had to sell my Alpina B3 3.3 and so am looking for a cheaper car with a bit of va va voom (that isn't French).
I have always thought that the Cupra R in platinum was a fantastic looking car, however the old budget won't really get above 9ish k.
So my question is - that puts those brembos, recaros etc out of reach I expect, but does put the std Cupra within reach - BUT what the heck is the difference between the Cupra, FR and 1.8 20VT - surely these are all the same…?

Plus - I used to own a Corrado Storm and had it remapped by AMD to give a little more useful low down torque - is there a SEAT approved tuning one can get for the 180bhp Leon - and if so how much / what power upgrade. Given that would it be wise to upgrade the brakes as well to handle it…

All advice more than appreciated, deposit was accepted for the Alpina today - a sad day….

In mourning,

Dan

chiefsilverback

Terrible thing a poo poo!
Mar 21, 2005
RTW, Kent
I would suggest that use of the search functionality will save you a lot of embarrasment over the next few hours!!!

All of these subject have been talked about repeatedly and the guys on here much prefer people to take a pro-active approach....

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Dan

20VT, Cupra and FR are all much of the same just with a later evolution of bodykit/interior/trimmings/wheels. First there was a 20VT, then the Cupra (I think), the FR was conceived as SEAT only wanted one Cupra and were not going to use the R logo ongoing.

If you look hard you may be able to get a 210LCR for not much more money on a higher mileage. However the Cupra/FR/20VT is a damn good car and is not far adrift from the R.

Revo, AmD, APR, Custom Code and Jabba all do maps for the Leon so have a search and see what you think of the reviews.

Last edited:

dgrose

Thanks for that - I'll have a trawl tonight for stuff I can afford, I haven't yet seen an R (210/225) that would suit the budget, but I guess time and cash are on my side..

cheers,

Dan

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
chiefsilverback said:
I would suggest that use of the search functionality will save you a lot of embarrasment over the next few hours!!!

All of these subject have been talked about repeatedly and the guys on here much prefer people to take a pro-active approach....

Lol, I think you may be looking for this... the Leon bible. :D

http://www.saywell.net/leon/faq.html

dgrose

Thanks very much - have read it.
What I have to decide is whether its worth hanging around for LCRs to drop to the 10k mark or grab a Cupra now for 8.5k.

Would I be kicking myself forever that I didn't hang on or is 8.5k a bargain for a 180bhp 2yr old car, with the lower insurance costs etc..?

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,
Daniel.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I decided not to fork out the extra for an R and have regretted it ever since. Thats not to say that I don't love my Cupra (remapped) and it is still quick. Its the most fun car I've had and I've had quite a few.

When mine goes to the scrapyard in the sky (or trade in auction!) in 2 years time I'll be getting an R.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Yeah, if you can stretch to the R do it. I had both and not knocking the Cupra but the R does have a reall feel good factor about it.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I also thought the R was not worth the extra 2.5k and have regretted it ever since. So much so that I refuse to get anything less than the new cupra when it comes out (if its any good that is).

Don't know if you would get a 2 yr old cupra for 8.5k though. Would have to have loads of miles to near that i would think. My cupra is 2 yrs old and i was offered 8900 o/x if i wanted but declined ...thought i would wait a while

dgrose

interesting - don't want to be regretting anything again - sold my Corrado Storm with low miles in A1 condition and believe me I regret that decision.

So a std Cupra in grey on an 03/53 plate with 30k up (see autotrader) advertised for 8.6 went last week - admittedly within a day (acc. to the dealer). I would have expected a private one to go for a little less than that?

So its save my pennies for a platinum LCR - buggery!!! - question is can I hold off and just drive my wife's Honda Jazz for a couple of months.... hmm?

I say bye bye to the Alpina on Friday..

D

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Depends what sort of power you want! The R is only better for performace enhancements! i.e you can get 260-270 BHP with just a remap, but if your not looking for this sort of power, (which is useless through the front wheels anyway as I'm finding with my 212 BHP) For the 2.5 k price difference (affordable later on), you can get your cupra up to 250+ BHP!

dgrose

Thats certainly an interesting proposition, but I do want that old platinum colour and also don't want to have to pay out to get any work done on the car..

so if theres anyone out there with a platium cupra r with highish miles but in good mechanical and cosmetic nick and who wants a quick sale, feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks,
Dan

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members