cupra internals

s3 evil

Feb 29, 2008
iv got a seat cupra r its had a jabbasport ihi big turbo conversion was now thinking of changing the internals wat work is there to be done and does it have to go into big companies and spend the 3k to do it or can i source the parts and get it done myself if so any lists of parts

also my car is still fitted with the standard plastic recirc valve was advised not to use the forge metal one is this right

my car has got standard brake disc but fiited with feroda ds2500 pads on the front wat disc do ppl recomend bigger or standard size drilled or groves

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The internals are just upgraded parts so anyone could change these.
As for discs if your not too bothered about the money I'd stick with the standard discs with the Ferodo DS2500 pads. I have the EBC Ultimax discs and they seem good but will be going Brembo next time.
There are a few sets of big brake set ups in the sale section, Porsche are the favourites.

There has never been any probelms with the standard DV, its just because its plastic that its a problem. The Forge metal 007P is the one that everyone goes for.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Depends what internals you are changing as to who can do it. Rods and pistons are easier to change but not anybody can change valves. They need to be done properly or they will break. The rods are the weakest part but on IHI you should be ok so on IHI there is no real need to do internals.

The standard plastic DV does cause rpoblems because it cannot take the extra pressure put on it when boost is increased. THis is why people change to the forge 007 or alike. I would recommend this or it may cause you problems.

Brake disc wise standard should be ok with those pads. Wouldnt get drilled as they crack but grooved are ok.

s3 evil

Feb 29, 2008
internals

iv been told the internals can only take 360bhp ie pistons my cupra is pushing 343bp jabbasport left it like that due to my internals wanted to add nos so thought do this before doing so and jabbasport took my forge one off and put the plastic one back on
some one advised these to be done

The parts that I would fit to your engine would be:
AGU Large-Port Head (Ported and shrouded).
Supertech valves and springs.
Insulated inlet gasket.
007 or Ross large bore inlet.
Golf R32 throttlebody.
Racewear headstud kit and steel laminate head gasket.
Pauter 144mm rods with 20mm pins.
Upgraded bearings throughout.
ARP main bolt kit.
If the engine is down this far, it might be worthwhile to think about an overbore?? 83mm would take it to 1.9L 8.25 or 8.5:1 CR.
Everything balanced.
Additional Oil cooler.
Low temp thermostat and fan switch.
Baffled sump and possibly a crank girdle depending on what your future plans would be and how you drive it...... wat prices and gains

or backdraft said these

BDM 1.8T engine internal upgrade. Completed with engine in your car.

Wossner lower compression forged piston kit
Backdraft Motorsport Forged Con Rod set
Cam chain and tensioner
Timing belt, tensioner, follower and metal water pump
Head gasket set
Head bolts
Hone bores
Skim head, Seat valves, Replace valve stem seals
Oil(Fully Synthetic) and filter
Auxillary belt
Sealant
Coolant
but my cambelt, auxillary plus service has been done

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
What are your final goals? If you are going to build an engine like that you may want a larger turbo than IHI. Also the IHI has reliability issues if run too hard and 340bhp is already above what most call a 'safe' limit so turning the boost up more then plan to have to replace it a few times.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
jabba removed your forge valve and refitted the stock on instead?

have they lost the plot?

was just about to say the same.

do not change the dv without checking with jabbasport first. mike was fine about my forge 007 dv... but wanted the original green spring in it.

check with them first.... im amazed the plastic dv has held?

apparently ihi dont like hard dv springs... or at least mike t dosnt like mapping with them. im guessing they took an after market dv off when they did the conversion as it was too stiff? and threw on a stock one? did they not sell you one of their bailey dvs?

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
ickle bearings... in ickle VF34's

stall from over sprung DV would be bad news indeed.

Green spring hold pressure to 22psi before slightest hiss can be heard when I tested one. (little hiss like you would never know performance wise)

s3 evil

Feb 29, 2008
internal

brought this cupra the way it is from a friend of mine

jabba said the forge metal valve will cause problems when hot they fiited a cold air pipe from my intercooler to the standard valve

i want more power safely

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
strange. 18 months now on ihi and no dv problems. as said jabba ok with the forge 007... i then changed to the bailey equivilant.

2 metal dvs and no problems and its not relocated in the engine bay so it gets as hot as it ever did.

id ring nick and ask him which dv they reccomend for your set up.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey

jabba said the forge metal valve will cause problems when hot they fiited a cold air pipe from my intercooler to the standard valve

i want more power safely

If heat is the problem with the metal valves then what wrong with running one in cold side relocation which by the sounds of it is what they may have done with your standard plastic dv. That makes no sense.

More power safely on IHI isnt really an option if you want it to last mate. You will need internals to make sure you dont throw a rod or drop a valve and even if you do get them done more power will either foobar the IHI bearings or warp the exhaust housing. The IHI isnt a rebuildable turbo remember its usually a new unit if that happens. Even NOS will most probably cause you problems.

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
If heat is the problem with the metal valves then what wrong with running one in cold side relocation which by the sounds of it is what they may have done with your standard plastic dv. That makes no sense.

More power safely on IHI isnt really an option if you want it to last mate. You will need internals to make sure you dont throw a rod or drop a valve and even if you do get them done more power will either foobar the IHI bearings or warp the exhaust housing. The IHI isnt a rebuilable turbo remember its usually a new unit if that happens. Even NOS will most probably cause you problems.

to be fair ihi are pretty reliable when set up right... its when you push it you get problems afaik.

chap on here songman is running ihi at 360/370 odd. but id agree if you want more than 340bhp look at alternatives to ihi.

ibizacupra has broken a few ihi`s i think and has taken his beeza through a few different garretts too. id have a chat with him.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
I know IHI are reliable if kept to sensible power. When up in the 340bhp or above boost and air flow levels the bearings cant handle and the EGTs get too high and warp the exhaust housing. What dyne was the 360-370bhp on and how long has it run at that power as I wouldnt be happy pushing it that hard. Bill has lots of dead IHIs but its not just him that knows the limits of the turbo from experience and Im just repeating the words they have said to me.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I know IHI are reliable if kept to sensible power. When up in the 340bhp or above boost and air flow levels the bearings cant handle and the EGTs get too high and warp the exhaust housing. What dyne was the 360-370bhp on and how long has it run at that power as I wouldnt be happy pushing it that hard. Bill has lots of dead IHIs but its not just him that knows the limits of the turbo from experience and Im just repeating the words they have said to me.

sorry mate im in error... misread your 2nd to last sentence.. thought it read " is not reliable "

;)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

i want more power safely

wot a load of tosh.....
laughable advise

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
what about it..
its the next one up.....

point being too stiff and DV not functioning, is not good news for the ickle turbo

yellow should be fine also....

wish youd stop calling them ickle bill.... ;)

everytime the needle hits 7k i see those words and my foot relaxes:headhurt:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
to be fair ihi are pretty reliable when set up right... its when you push it you get problems afaik.

chap on here songman is running ihi at 360/370 odd. but id agree if you want more than 340bhp look at alternatives to ihi.

ibizacupra has broken a few ihi`s i think and has taken his beeza through a few different garretts too. id have a chat with him.

nope..sorry, your not quite correct.
several ihi's, warped housings mostly, surprisingly never a bearing failure personally, all whilst jabba mapped. yes it was mapped and pushed hard as a testbed for both jabba & myself.

Songman is on his 2nd IHI unit, first one suffered bearing failure i believe. (suspect dv not operational as blamed cause)

wilko has consummed a few, as has Dan....

I have not ever run garrett, so have not killed one. (yet - lol)

PE1820 / FP green / FP red on there and all functioning fine. no bearing failures. I have had 2 FP housings seize their wastegate puk however until I reengineered them.

regards
bill

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise