cupra internals

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
wish youd stop calling them ickle bill.... ;)

everytime the needle hits 7k i see those words and my foot relaxes:headhurt:

lol

ickle.. its all relative.

i remember when 320bhp was mind bendingly quick -just

now headed for near double that figure all things being equal

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I was about to post the very same...............

the only sticking valve i've had is a bailey one on a car i bought from jabba.
Forge ones have worked fine for me for years.......... and are fully waranteed & backed up with after sales 2nd to none. its a no brainer which one to use. to give such advise is odd......... plain odd.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
You will have to be going some to melt a big garrett :p although i wouldn't put it past you!
You going external gate now bill? Holding 2bar+ till redline will be interesting!!

On the DV front,i'm running a tial bov now and it's a really good bit of kit,you have to weld a flange onto your ic pipe but the sounds is....:D

I have not ever run garrett, so have not killed one. (yet - lol)

regards
bill

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
nope..sorry, your not quite correct.
several ihi's, warped housings mostly, surprisingly never a bearing failure personally, all whilst jabba mapped. yes it was mapped and pushed hard as a testbed for both jabba & myself.

Songman is on his 2nd IHI unit, first one suffered bearing failure i believe. (suspect dv not operational as blamed cause)

wilko has consummed a few, as has Dan....

I have not ever run garrett, so have not killed one. (yet - lol)

PE1820 / FP green / FP red on there and all functioning fine. no bearing failures. I have had 2 FP housings seize their wastegate puk however until I reengineered them.

regards

bill

well, i was close :). i have cracked 1 mani in 18months .. but im still overall happy with it. its a daily driver so got to keep it sensible :D

nice to know you guys have tested them to destruction

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
You will have to be going some to melt a big garrett :p although i wouldn't put it past you!
You going external gate now bill? Holding 2bar+ till redline will be interesting!!

On the DV front,i'm running a tial bov now and it's a really good bit of kit,you have to weld a flange onto your ic pipe but the sounds is....:D

i ran 2bar on the green & red...
will see what the 44mm tial & big garrett do when assembled.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
i ran 2bar on the green & red...
will see what the 44mm tial & big garrett do when assembled.

I bet it didn't hold 2 bar with a internal gate though?Either way proper garrett is the way forward.Have you got your dta sorted yet?

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
2.7bar that is crazy!!! Jabba engine held on well then.Did you weld the wastegate shut!!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
lol.. wastegate worked ok... 1bar spring in it. (forge w'gate)

I've seen Kevins Jabba'd mani/Owens GT30 fitment and external tial gate mod. Looks very neat. Be interesting to see how long it lasts and if cracks become an issue. Vents out of the top.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
ive just spoken to luke and theres some truth in this.

the bailey ones had issues siezeing when getting very hot...apparently started happening after manufacturing process changed.

they find the forge spring not soft enough so are using the apr diaphram dv.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
green spring is pretty soft.... how soft do they want it? softer than an Oe valve to open soft.

first thing mike did on the day i arrived was unscrew the dv and ask for the original green one. told me there and then not to change the spring after conversion. i think the reasoning is the shock on the spindle... being a weakness?

reading up on the apr theres a logic as it would be the least "shocking " in operation?

or am i talking shash:D

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Well I think this is a good case for running the valve the wrong way round. :D

That way, you've got boost pressure pushing against the spring. Spring pressure > boost pressure = closed valve.
Boost pressure + vac > spring pressure = open valve.

Makes more sense than boost pressure against side of piston.

/runs away to hide.............

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Well I think this is a good case for running the valve the wrong way round. :D

That way, you've got boost pressure pushing against the spring. Spring pressure > boost pressure = closed valve.
Boost pressure + vac > spring pressure = open valve.

Makes more sense than boost pressure against side of piston.

/runs away to hide.............

Normal method relies on vac pressure > spring pressure.

diaphram vs piston :think:

if it was reliable and didnt tear? would it be a positive ihi wise?

Reliable diaphragm? Does the pope allow that?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I've been toal the Diaphragm + turbo (whole) = turbo (in bits)

This was for the Forge Eliminator DV as the diaphragm came loose and smashed through the turbo taking the impellor with it. This came directly for Forge when asking for a repair kit for Eliminator, was sent a 007P, FOC

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
I've seen Kevins Jabba'd mani/Owens GT30 fitment and external tial gate mod. Looks very neat. Be interesting to see how long it lasts and if cracks become an issue. Vents out of the top.

Playin at a proper GT,i think tim had the right idea, full GT on tubular mani .
My 30R will be on shortly so will let you know what sort of results i get ,hoping for 500bhp on v-power.

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
to be fair ihi are pretty reliable when set up right... its when you push it you get problems afaik.

chap on here songman is running ihi at 360/370 odd. but id agree if you want more than 340bhp look at alternatives to ihi.

ibizacupra has broken a few ihi`s i think and has taken his beeza through a few different garretts too. id have a chat with him.

Just for the record! - The bearings in my first IHI failed at 17000 miles for one reason only - incorrect spring fitted to the DV - right colour, wrong spring rate, supplied to me by the manufacturers of the DV! - work that one out for yourselves[:@]
Worse still! - I fitted the damn thing myself and it was snorting like Rhino on heat l - only took about 10 miles to do the turbo in :cry:

New cartridge fitted to original exhaust housing, together with Bailley DV and I have had no further problems now past 92000 miles.

I have always run the 1.6 bar map right from the start, and the original exhaust housing and downpipe have now done 50,000 miles, and the second cartridge 33000 miles without any problems.
:)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.