Cupra manual transmission oil - any recommendations?

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Hi. I'm looking to change the transmission oil on my manual Cupra 290 to try and improve cold selection/notchyness 1st-2nd etc. I tried a few different brands a while back on my old Mazda MPS, for the same reason, and it did make a difference. Anyone replaced with non oem? What did you go with and did you notice any difference good/bad?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
See if you can find an oil with a lower centistoke rating in the recommended weight. It will help shifting.
I used Pentosin 75W-80 GL4 synthetic in our GT86 and it helped the 1st - 2nd shift. It's a BMW spec oil. It was bloody expensive though, from memory $120 for 3 litres.
I'm not sure what the VAG requirement is for manual oil.

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
So, actually got round to doing this yesterday on what seemed like the first dry day of the year. Just went with opie's recommended in the end, febi bilstein 21829, which I think may be oem as the bottle looks suspiciously VWAG. Anyway, doing the job was piece of cake, drain/fill plugs are very accessible, you only have to raise the car just enough to get the undertray off. Unfortunately, not the improvement i was hoping for. Only slight improvement in cold shifts, still a bit notchy but not as "crunchy" at certain rpm. Overall though, does feel a bit better when fully warmed up. Worth doing for £50 if your happy to do yourself at home but probably wouldn't bother with the hassle/cost of getting a garage to do it. Regards mileage mine has just shy of 30k on it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.