CUPRA MODE

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Hi all sorry if this is in the wrong place, I was just wondering whether or not CUPRA mode uses more fuel? I’m almost a week into ownership and I can’t seem to notice a difference in fuel so just wanted to ask for your opinions I still don’t know most of the stuff with the infotainment and virtual cockpit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Is yours a manual or a DSG?

Cupra mode in a DSG might use more fuel as the gearbox is set to ‘Sport’ by default, which holds each gear for longer before shifting up.

I have mine in Cupra mode, but I have my gearbox set to ‘Normal’ most of the time. I haven’t noticed any difference in fuel consumption at all.

However, I will say this. You’ll probably find that Cupra mode makes you want to drive the car a bit harder..!! If you drive it harder, you’ll notice the drop off in fuel consumption. So the difference is down to how you drive it rather than what mode you’re in, really

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Mine’s a manual, ah that makes sense. I normally have it in cupra mode around town so more people notice me! (Not sure if it’s just the fake sound that’s increased in the cabin or it sounds different outside as well) and then I have it in comfort when I’m driving to and from work. This morning was a particularly thirsty trip for the cupra, had a little race with a mk5 gti an hour ago and showed him my rear end

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
One more thing, with the automatic engine start stop function turned on, does that use more fuel having to turn on after every time the car stops? I don’t see the point of it really, is it to do with emissions maybe? I keep turning mine off but it seems to be turning itself back on annoyingly

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Mine’s a manual, ah that makes sense. I normally have it in cupra mode around town so more people notice me! (Not sure if it’s just the fake sound that’s increased in the cabin or it sounds different outside as well) and then I have it in comfort when I’m driving to and from work. This morning was a particularly thirsty trip for the cupra, had a little race with a mk5 gti an hour ago and showed him my rear end

I had a similar experience with a Focus ST this morning too... I don’t think they realise just how quick the Cupras are..!

Reactions: cupra300uk

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
One more thing, with the automatic engine start stop function turned on, does that use more fuel having to turn on after every time the car stops? I don’t see the point of it really, is it to do with emissions maybe? I keep turning mine off but it seems to be turning itself back on annoyingly

No, it uses marginally less fuel and produces less emissions than it would if you switched it off. To be honest, I don’t really notice it now anyway!

If I’m sat at traffic lights, I quite like it when it auto stops because I get to start it up again and ‘bark’ at the other cars

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
No, it uses marginally less fuel and produces less emissions than it would if you switched it off. To be honest, I don’t really notice it now anyway!

If I’m sat at traffic lights, I quite like it when it auto stops because I get to start it up again and ‘bark’ at the other cars

Oh right I will keep it on then, that’s true! Although I find the stock exhaust rather tame at idle, I suppose that’s a good thing for my neighbours though

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
Oh right I will keep it on then, that’s true! Although I find the stock exhaust rather tame at idle, I suppose that’s a good thing for my neighbours though

Get a resonator delete! People will know you have a Cupra then!

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
That’s what I want! Unfortunately I’m on finance, so not really sure about modifications. I am planning on keeping the car but not sure how that comes into play. The salesman who sold me the car actually recommended me to get the resonator delete on it, and I asked him would that be okay with the finance deal and he said it would be fine so that whole conversation isn’t confused me also would that void my 3 year warranty? So many questions!

Tully1980

Nov 22, 2017
That’s what I want! Unfortunately I’m on finance, so not really sure about modifications. I am planning on keeping the car but not sure how that comes into play. The salesman who sold me the car actually recommended me to get the resonator delete on it, and I asked him would that be okay with the finance deal and he said it would be fine so that whole conversation isn’t confused me also would that void my 3 year warranty? So many questions!

My Cupra is on a lease. The resonator delete is a pretty simple modification and can easily be reversed and put back to stock if/when you hand the car back. I’m not sure how it would effect the warranty.

Deleted member 103408

from the 2017 manual

Engine
Depending on the profile selected, the engine responds more spontaneously or more in harmony with the movements of the accelerator.
Additionally, when Eco mode is selected, the Start-stop function is automatically activated.

In vehicles with automatic transmission, the gear change points are modified to position them in lower or higher engine speed ranges.
Additionally, the Eco1) mode activates the Inertia function, enabling consumption to be further reduced.
In manual gearbox vehicles, Eco1) mode causes the gear change recommendation indications that appear on the instrument panel to
vary, facilitating more efficient driving.

Dynamic chassis control (DCC)
DCC continuously adapts the shock absorbers to the condition of the road and current driving conditions, according to the pre-set
programme. In the event of a fault in the DCC, the following message is displayed on the instrument screen Fault: damping setting.

Steering
Power steering becomes more robust in Sport mode to enable a sportier driving style. In the Leon Cupra the power steering
becomes more robust in Cupra mode.

Air conditioning
In vehicles with Climatronic, this can operate in eco1) mode, especially restricting fuel consumption.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)2)
According to the active driving profile, the acceleration gradient of the adaptive cruise control varies.

Electronic self-locking differential2)

The self-locking differential adapts its behaviour depending on the driving profile chosen. Normal mode or Cupra mode can be selected
to prioritise improved traction in sport driving.

I have a map on my car and the mappers say the same thing as Seat eg even in Cupra mode you can get good MPG. Its all down to your right foot and how long you hold the gear on a manual.

With regards to warranty, not that anybody seems to care (Brokers etc) but you should check your credit agreement to see if mods are allowed (almost certainly not) I have seen one reported case of a car being taken back as the owner had it mapped and it triggered a TD1 Flag and the dealer notified Seat Finance. However in general as stated above nobody seems to care as long as the car is returned how you got it.

Insurance company you need to notify as you have modified the car.

Seat Warranty not an expert but from the stuff I have seen they will refuse warranty if they think your modification could in any way contribute towards the failure. So if you have the usual door rattles, Lights Cracking etc then they are not related so cant see how they could justify saying no but I suspect most would not even notice. As you salesman suggested it in the first place I would ask him.

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
from the 2017 manual

Engine
Depending on the profile selected, the engine responds more spontaneously or more in harmony with the movements of the accelerator.
Additionally, when Eco mode is selected, the Start-stop function is automatically activated.

In vehicles with automatic transmission, the gear change points are modified to position them in lower or higher engine speed ranges.
Additionally, the Eco1) mode activates the Inertia function, enabling consumption to be further reduced.
In manual gearbox vehicles, Eco1) mode causes the gear change recommendation indications that appear on the instrument panel to
vary, facilitating more efficient driving.

Dynamic chassis control (DCC)
DCC continuously adapts the shock absorbers to the condition of the road and current driving conditions, according to the pre-set
programme. In the event of a fault in the DCC, the following message is displayed on the instrument screen Fault: damping setting.

Steering
Power steering becomes more robust in Sport mode to enable a sportier driving style. In the Leon Cupra the power steering
becomes more robust in Cupra mode.

Air conditioning
In vehicles with Climatronic, this can operate in eco1) mode, especially restricting fuel consumption.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)2)
According to the active driving profile, the acceleration gradient of the adaptive cruise control varies.

Electronic self-locking differential2)

The self-locking differential adapts its behaviour depending on the driving profile chosen. Normal mode or Cupra mode can be selected
to prioritise improved traction in sport driving.

I have a map on my car and the mappers say the same thing as Seat eg even in Cupra mode you can get good MPG. Its all down to your right foot and how long you hold the gear on a manual.

With regards to warranty, not that anybody seems to care (Brokers etc) but you should check your credit agreement to see if mods are allowed (almost certainly not) I have seen one reported case of a car being taken back as the owner had it mapped and it triggered a TD1 Flag and the dealer notified Seat Finance. However in general as stated above nobody seems to care as long as the car is returned how you got it.

Insurance company you need to notify as you have modified the car.

Seat Warranty not an expert but from the stuff I have seen they will refuse warranty if they think your modification could in any way contribute towards the failure. So if you have the usual door rattles, Lights Cracking etc then they are not related so cant see how they could justify saying no but I suspect most would not even notice. As you salesman suggested it in the first place I would ask him.

Thanks for the in depth answer, I have emailed the salesman that has been working with me the most (not the one who recommended the mod) and see what he says. I obviously don’t want to void any sort of warranty as it’s still got 2 and a half years left, but at the same time the exhaust is pretty tame I find. Just a bit confusing with what the other salesman said, cheers again!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.