Cupra Mode...

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Very helpful never noticed it said that. Anyway to keep the engine mode as selected? Such as carista/ coding? Bit annoying!?

Couldn’t tell you to be honest. I haven’t come across anything that suggests we can code it differently yet.

I’ve experienced it personally in the Golf R and the S3.

It’s a design that spans the VAG group. It’s mentioned on VWs , Audi’s and Skoda’s forums too (and it’s in their manuals) not just for their performance cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

And some of the coding values that you can change using appropriate tools will automatically be reverted at startup.

For example there is the ability to turn on power steering without the engine running but once you re cycle the ignition it reverts to default value.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Don't see how starting in Cupra would effect anything, it's not like it gives you anymore power or anything, it's only throttle response that changes, I understand the revo restriction as the engine is producing more power whereas is sport cupra you get no more power/boost
Maybe not more ultimate power, but more fuel (remember those pops and bangs, DSG farts etc), quicker throttle response.
So generally more likely hood of greater stress on a cold engine.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
My 2108 Curpa R manual does the same. I have also adjusted sound actuator down so I can’t tell the difference but for sure the “pops and bangs” from exhaust disappears when the engine is restarted, reselect Cupra mode again and the pops will be there again. That goes also for “Individual” mode to with engine in Cupra mode. I can’t detect any difference in throttle response before and after reselection of Cupra mode, or perhaps I just haven’t thought about it…

/Peter

Last edited:

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Don't see how starting in Cupra would effect anything, it's not like it gives you anymore power or anything, it's only throttle response that changes, I understand the revo restriction as the engine is producing more power whereas is sport cupra you get no more power/boost
It's to reduce load an a cold engine, and possibly prevent the use of a too aggressive fuel/ignition map.
Cupra mode gives quicker throttle opening.

Reactions: Damo H
May 3, 2019
I find it ridiculous that I have to reselect Individual every time to activate the Eco mode, no logic. I got used to the coasting in Eco on my last car (Audi A6) where it didn't need reselection so it's not across all VAG.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I find it ridiculous that I have to reselect Individual every time to activate the Eco mode, no logic. I got used to the coasting in Eco on my last car (Audi A6) where it didn't need reselection so it's not across all VAG.
Yeah know what you mean, pressing a button when you first start the car is such a hardship ;)

Deleted member 103408

Well you need to ask the guys who designed the MQB Platform. the A6 From memory is on C platform so different design

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

Can’t say I’ve had the pleasure of an A6.

But to be clear:

I was really talking about the common manufacturers in the group. I.e Audi, VW, SEAT and SKODA. Can’t speak for Porsche, Lamborghini e.t.c

I personally experienced the same behaviour on the golf R, S3 and the Leon. The various forums confirm it across the 4 manufacturers mentioned above.

Wasn’t speaking for every model in their ranges either.

Like @theoldboy suggested it may be platform dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Think main thing is to not go above 3k before oil is hot... I usually change at 2k til the oil is a good 90°c. Think it’s the driver that controls that the most - if it’s in comfort and you are red lining it from cold, is this protecting the engine?! No!

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Yeah know what you mean, pressing a button when you first start the car is such a hardship ;)

Well, pressing the start/stop button every single time I turned the car on did bother me... But nothing that could not be solved with a bit of coding.
It literally was the first mod I did to the car ;)
...but truth be told, I carried the start/stop hate from my previous Skoda, so it just felt right to get rid of that one first.
The mode button (as per OP) is something I have learned to accept as a feature and I understand the purpose for.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Think main thing is to not go above 3k before oil is hot... I usually change at 2k til the oil is a good 90°c. Think it’s the driver that controls that the most - if it’s in comfort and you are red lining it from cold, is this protecting the engine?! No!

But but.... Regardless of me agreeing with being gentle with the cold engine, isn't there a built in limiter that doesn't allow you to accelerate beyond a certain point before the engine reaches normal operation temperature? Or is this only a feature of some ECU remaps?

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
But but.... Regardless of me agreeing with being gentle with the cold engine, isn't there a built in limiter that doesn't allow you to accelerate beyond a certain point before the engine reaches normal operation temperature? Or is this only a feature of some ECU remaps?
With remapped engines (Revo etc) they have a limiter I believe but stock you can red line it in any gear from cold if you wanted to

Deleted member 103408

I can confirm that Revo have limiters in place if its cold and also hot.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’ve just tested this out on my Cupra R ST.

My individual mode is all set to Eco (where available) and Comfort.

It does survive restarts (ignition off, car locked,unlocked, ignition back on) so it must just be Cupra/Sport mode that doesn’t.

Deleted member 103408

Just did the same test on my 2014 car and I agree on individual mode it keeps Economy for the engine and gearbox.

Logic sounds like it has to default to Comfort (which is the normal default or it will accept Eco, simply because that protect the engine / gearbox.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Just did the same test on my 2014 car and I agree on individual mode it keeps Economy for the engine and gearbox.

Logic sounds like it has to default to Comfort (which is the normal default or it will accept Eco, simply because that protect the engine / gearbox.
I suspect Eco is only the gearbox mode, the engine mapping will be the same as comfort. Hence no issue.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Just noticed that there is a setting in latest Carsista beta to ‘remember eco mode on shutdown’ or words to that effect.

Not tested it but I’m sure it would enable the preservation of Eco gearbox mode to the individual profile for those that want it.

Deleted member 103408

I thought it did that by itself, when i tested it the other day the gearbox still came up showing E1,2,3 Etc wherease if its in Sport and restart it would come up as D1,2,3 Etc.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.