cupra overhaul, running like poo

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
guys, im at 86k in the mk1 cupra, its on a 52plate.

got it into my head that shes started running lumpy, just had a knock sensor code come up, seems to be harsher ride than normal and have a shite knocking noise from my rear strut and front arb.....

what the hell can i do regards, freshening her up a little.....

its the harsher ride thats bothering me most, the strut im replacing tomorrow.

ive got 2 new top mounts to go on, these look fecked as they are sticking out the top of the turret about 2 inches\!!!!!

what else can i do to get my baby running smooth again....

cheers fellas:think:

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
not on vagcom, came up with fault code for knock sensor, reset the code and it hasnt come back for 3 days, so all seems well with that one...

just the harsh ride and genereal feeling of crapness

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
To help with excessive vibrations get the Engine mounts changed for INA Street density ones, if you have a polyflex DBM get it changed for a INA Track density one. As your doing with the top mounts and bearings. If you still have the LCA rear bushes as standard then change these for either the TT roadster ones or polyflex ones. Rear axle bushes for LCR ones then if you want a stiffer ride think about ARB upgrades and strutt braces or suspension change.
Check your PCV hoses for splits as well, this is not spoken about alot on here but is a big thing on VW Vortex

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
not rough and lumpy on tickover, just feels sluggish on acceleration.... the code hasnt come back since cleared.

top mounts getting done today, should i notice a good difference on them?

no other codes thrown for split hoses or anything!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Before I changed my top mounts I could fell every crease in the road. After, things had smoothed out big time and could feel alot less of the road surface irregularities.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yup, the first ones I bought through GSF, but these are not LCR mounts so didn't last long before started knocking. The new ones I have are from David at Sere, good man that

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise