Cupra R 2011

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Hi,

I’m off to look at an upgrade to my FR tdi on Saturday to a 2011 cupra R, are there any issues in particular I should be looking out for? It’s on 65k with fsh and just had cam belt and water pump done.

Thanks.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Is it mapped do you know? You could ask if/when the cam follower was done. I own that exact year and model. I can't think of anything specific other than the common sense stuff.

Check the Aircon works.
Make sure the coolant looks red or pink.
Check the oil cap doesn't look like an ice cream (although might be normal if it's doing short journeys).
Make sure the engine bay is dry (no oil or white patches).

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Sweet thanks I’ll check those bits, it’s not mapped as far as I’m aware, and seeing as you have the same model, how often do you have to top up the oil? Is it a drinker? And do you use normal 95 fuel or splash out on the 97?

Hopefully it’s as nice as it sounds as drove a low mileage one earlier today but had had a bad lowering job done on it and scrubbed on roundabouts going slow , straight line was just what I’m after so fingers crossed this one goes round corners a bit more friendly, lol.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Oh and I'd also check all the doors open. Mk2s in general have a tendency for the door lock modules to go. I did an oil change in February. Have topped it up once already and may have to top it up again maybe next month.

I have to use vpower as I'm mapped for it. But I've always run it on vpower even before the map. But it should be quite happy on normal fuel.

It's a really good car. Only downside of the r is the 19" wheels as standard. Makes the ride a bit harsh. But as their 235s it adds a lot of stability. So bit of a trade off.

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Very nice motor, how does the front wheel drive handle with the extra horses?, I’ll get a remap done pretty soon and go from there as the inevitable feeling of extra speed lessens over time. I better start saving .

Also is the cam follower an issue on this model?, I’ve seen it come up a few times but others have said it’s fine.

Thanks for the help so far.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Welcome (nearly) to having the best car ever lol not bias at all...

What colour did you get...?

I have a new cam follower set ready to fit go mine, if you're checking how worn it is you may aswell just change it I think...

It's worth if you have someone close to you with a fault reader to plug it in and see what's happening that may of been cleared.

I have the 2010 R and 3 out of 4 doors had a faulty module, it's an easy fix but it's £250 a door to fix with labour so if some aren't working get that knocked off the price and just do the 20 minute per door free fix. The issue means that the doors open from the inside but not the outside until the inside is opened first.

You could check to see if it has an aftermarket stereo and if the steering wheel controls work if it is (I have the standard one in mine if you check the link below).

My car is completely standard as far as I'm aware and it had a full service in October (last year) and I've topped the oil up once since... Another oil change this year so all is good with mine I think.

I would assume if they lowered a cupra r then they did other stuff as well. Check for holes under the front bumper if they had a front splitter and also make sure the boot lid can open all the way and the gas struts are not dead.

Where abouts are you based?

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Great guys, thanks for the info, I’ll check the doors, I’m down in Somerset but a local Audi approved garage I use will get the duty of a good look over when I first get the car, off to pay deposit tomorrow and hopefully pick up early next week, it’s having a fresh service and cam belt / water pump done at the garage I’m getting it from.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Great guys, thanks for the info, I’ll check the doors, I’m down in Somerset but a local Audi approved garage I use will get the duty of a good look over when I first get the car, off to pay deposit tomorrow and hopefully pick up early next week, it’s having a fresh service and cam belt / water pump done at the garage I’m getting it from.
One thing worth mentioning is don't get your licence revoked before you've had a chance to use it lol Power is addictive haha

Good luck and get yourself some pics up! If it's speed blue you will be part of an elite team haha

Reactions: kazand

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
White with a black roof I’m afraid, matching the other half’s TT, although I’ll only see that in my rear view from now on

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
A bit of in house rivalry I see haha

Hope all goes well buddy, let us know if you need any help.

Cheers

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Very nice motor, how does the front wheel drive handle with the extra horses?, I’ll get a remap done pretty soon and go from there as the inevitable feeling of extra speed lessens over time. I better start saving .

Also is the cam follower an issue on this model?, I’ve seen it come up a few times but others have said it’s fine.

Thanks for the help so far.

Morning... just flicking back through what I've missed LOL. So cam follower. It's a £30 part and around £30 labour (unless you fit it yourself)(may be a bit more from a main dealer). Personally, at 65k if there's no receipt for one, I'd ask them to do it anyway. The cam follower is a weak point of the tfsi engine. Its one of those things, it may be fine. But you never want it to fail.

Might want to have a flick through this:
http://r-techperformance.co.uk/2-0-tfsi-tuning/

Firstly, from the path I've taken. If I was to buy another Cupra, I'd have the Stage 1 booked for the day / day after I picked it up. Stage 1 is what the engine should be like. Where I am now (2+), is a lot of money. But it also makes the car a lot more difficult to drive (feathering accelerator, torque steer). So the power comes at a cost.

Not that I do this all the time :whistle:. But when I first went Stage 2, a battered old Fiesta left me at a set of lights! Whilst I was wheel spinning trying to control the power he was gone. LOL. So sometimes I miss the simplicity of the on/off accelerator pedal. Having said that, power is addictive. But I don't think it's worth me going 400bhp+ without doing a 4wd conversion. I think mid-high 300s is about right for a fwd car.

So in conclusion. Pulling away is ... a skill. But when your cruising and just want to get past someone, you can never have too much power.

Reactions: Silverfoxxxx

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Check the inside edge of the rear tyres. If they are worn unevenly, it needs 4 wheel alignment ( common Mk 2 issue) , can also set a droning noise in cabin. Check bonnet lining, most go mouldy and sag, can let water into coil packs etc. If it has Xenon's, check they operate properly , they should do a right to left, up and down check on start up. Check it has decent rubber ( unless you are a suicide ditch finder merchant) as for fuel, usually ran ours on Tesco 99 ( still do) . Only issue we had in 2 years was bonnet trim as above ( warranty) and external temp probe. ( Warranty again)

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Brilliant, thanks for all the heads up, I’ve now got plenty to check over, fingers crossed it passes muster as I want one a lot.

JohnnyMackers

Mar 17, 2016
Welcome (nearly) to having the best car ever lol not bias at all...

What colour did you get...?

I have a new cam follower set ready to fit go mine, if you're checking how worn it is you may aswell just change it I think...

It's worth if you have someone close to you with a fault reader to plug it in and see what's happening that may of been cleared.

I have the 2010 R and 3 out of 4 doors had a faulty module, it's an easy fix but it's £250 a door to fix with labour so if some aren't working get that knocked off the price and just do the 20 minute per door free fix. The issue means that the doors open from the inside but not the outside until the inside is opened first.

You could check to see if it has an aftermarket stereo and if the steering wheel controls work if it is (I have the standard one in mine if you check the link below).

My car is completely standard as far as I'm aware and it had a full service in October (last year) and I've topped the oil up once since... Another oil change this year so all is good with mine I think.

I would assume if they lowered a cupra r then they did other stuff as well. Check for holes under the front bumper if they had a front splitter and also make sure the boot lid can open all the way and the gas struts are not dead.

Where abouts are you based?

Really sorry to hijack! Can you link a post for the door module fix? One of mine just started to do the exact description!

I've had my 2010 about 3 week. No issues that aren't livable just needs some tlc. Keep an eye on the oil though, just check every week minimum depending on mileage you do.

You can instantly tell the difference in a remap to standard

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Really sorry to hijack! Can you link a post for the door module fix? One of mine just started to do the exact description!

I've had my 2010 about 3 week. No issues that aren't livable just needs some tlc. Keep an eye on the oil though, just check every week minimum depending on mileage you do.

You can instantly tell the difference in a remap to standard

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You owe me £250 haha

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
:clap:welcome to the club! I assume you were impressed with it?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members