Cupra r 225 or fr tdi 150???

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
I bet there isn't many cars that keep up with the LCR 225 when it's in full flow;)

I humiliated a 3.0 bmw z4 along the B roads above brighton recently. He just could not loose me whatever he did. And to rub dirt in the wound, I overtook him eventually when the road was wide enough.

Turbo'd cars are pretty mad when you've got them on the boil.

JigsJigz

225 for short fun drives... 150 for longer 1s daily use still as fun. but not quite. :)

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
225 for short fun drives... 150 for longer 1s daily use still as fun. but not quite. :)

I still say the ONLY reason you'd choose the TDi over an LCR for ANY drive is because you're tight.

Give me a single reason other than money why you'd take the diesel intead?

I can't think of any.

JigsJigz

I still say the ONLY reason you'd choose the TDi over an LCR for ANY drive is because you're tight.

I can't think of any.

Like i said its cheaper... not everyone has the money or the want for that much power more. maybe some dont wanna fill up as often :p and cruze on by.. its not always about how fast it is sometimes its about how it looks and drives.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Double-6s wrote

:handbags:

Why, thank you for that kind thought. In that vein, the only reason for choosing an LCR is to try and win every traffic-light grand prix, go everywhere at 6000rpm, scare the horses and knock over pregnant nuns on zebra crossings (more points, you see).

Not so brash (especially the Toledo). Quieter inside. Low-end torque means town driving is easy. No farting dump valve.

Of course, cost of ownership is a big factor: there's a big difference between the two.

JigsJigz

Double-6s wrote

Why, thank you for that kind thought. In that vein, the only reason for choosing an LCR is to try and win every traffic-light grand prix, go everywhere at 6000rpm, scare the horses and knock over pregnant nuns on zebra crossings (more points, you see).

Not so brash (especially the Toledo). Quieter inside. Low-end torque means town driving is easy. No farting dump valve.

Of course, cost of ownership is a big factor: there's a big difference between the two.

What she said ^ ;)

lol just kidding. But i agree.

Apr 13, 2011
hull
I have to say I have an Ibiza Cupra pd160 and all the things people are saying about the tdi engines not puttin smiles in ur face I disagree. Seat have done an amazing job with the pd150 and pd160 engines my mates leon Cupra r was shocked when it was put fully to the test against my pd160 he couldn't belive how qwick it was considering it was standerd. The pd engines offer huge power with the write mods and the write ammount of money put into them. Yes I know the Cupra r has amazing power with grate gains to be made with modds and money but the pd engine has the torque advantage over the Cupra r where the Cupra had the horses but horses ain't everything u have to put into consideration on pullin power. People underestermate the deisel engine.

Last edited:

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
it's been a while since my PD160 was standard, but I doubt an LCR was seriously tested.

as for only choosing the TDI because you're tight, I can't agree whilst I'm currently doing over 100 miles a day in a 1.8T LC :(

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
Like i said its cheaper... not everyone has the money or the want for that much power more. maybe some dont wanna fill up as often :p and cruze on by.. its not always about how fast it is sometimes its about how it looks and drives.

Er, a single reason OTHER THAN MONEY?!

So are you telling me a TDi LOOKS better?

Or that a TDi DRIVES better?

I'm sorry but they look the same (!) and in what way does the diesel drive better? You prefer a drive with higher vibration and noise levels? Or inferior handling?

I haven't mentioned speed once by the way, so why bring bring up that?

BOTTOM LINE......... the ONLY reason someone would choose a diesel over an LCR is money!!!! Prove me wrong, but I still can't think of any other reason for choosing the oil burber. Sorry tight folk but it's true.

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
Double-6s wrote

Quieter inside? Well I've had both and I'd rather listen to a petrol engine than a diesel. I'd say that's almost universal in the car world.

Not so brash? Er......... right. Brash in what way?

I have bucket loads of low end torque and find it very easy to drive around town lol. I'm very unclear as to how noise and vibration would make it easier.

Dump valve - well yeah ok I suppose that is a reason. Personally I wouldn't endure a diesel just to avoid the sound of a DV though.

Come on people get serious. There really is only one reason isn't there: MONEY

If someone else was paying for your fuel, would you still choose the diesel? You can answer in private so that nobody else knows that secretly you'd choose the LCR ;)

By the way, your reasons for choosing an LCR above, are just plain stupid. I haven't mentioned any of those points. Traffic light grand prix etc? No. My reason for chooisng an LCR over a diesel leon is as follows: it's a better car unless money is the main consideration.

Last edited:

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
Is there much difference in torque?

The diesel will make more "lower down" the rev range.

Of course, "lower down" is relative. The useful rev range of the diesel is approx 2000 revs (2k to 4k) maybe starting a bit lower than 2000. The useful rev range of the LCR is twice that, from 2000 to 6000.

Generally the diesel will have a flatter, fatter torque curve, but runs out of puff ridiculously early.

Make up your own mind mate.

I suspect there won't be many LCR owners telling you to choose the diesel.

All my comments obviously EXCLUDE fuel costs as that's my entire point. If money is out of the equation you'd choose the LCR.

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
Er, a single reason OTHER THAN MONEY?!

So are you telling me a TDi LOOKS better?

Or that a TDi DRIVES better?

I'm sorry but they look the same (!) and in what way does the diesel drive better? You prefer a drive with higher vibration and noise levels? Or inferior handling?

I haven't mentioned speed once by the way, so why bring bring up that?

BOTTOM LINE......... the ONLY reason someone would choose a diesel over an LCR is money!!!! Prove me wrong, but I still can't think of any other reason for choosing the oil burber. Sorry tight folk but it's true.

even when it was standard, my TDI Ibiza was better to drive on the motorway than my 1.8T Leon is. as for petrol universally sounding better than diesel? no

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
LCR..Great cars...I'd always wanted one for the 5 years I had my Leon FR+ TDI..
They do need a remap, so much more responsive and a lot quicker mid-range.
The interior and exterior are both a lot nicer than the standard Cupra. The 18 Ronal wheels, brembo's, much better suspension setup, exhaust fills bumper better, interior is also a hugely nicer place ESP if u get the rarer Recaro seats.
The 225 also has a few nicer touches like the thicker steering wheel with red line etc...

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
even when it was standard, my TDI Ibiza was better to drive on the motorway than my 1.8T Leon is. as for petrol universally sounding better than diesel? no

Mine wasn't. My TDi Ibiza was horrible on the motorway. Harsh suspension (standard dampers and springs) and a horrible lateral jiggly movement that isn't present in leons. And anyway, the comparison is between an FR TDi 150 and an LCR - both leons. Also, yes the TDi has softer suspension and so is more COMFORTABLE. I'm not convinced that means it's a better drive. It means it's more comfortable. If you're considering an LCR, it's unlikely that comfort is your priority.

I didn't quite say that petrol universally sounds better than diesel actually. I said its universally accepted that petrol sounds better than diesel. Subtlely different statements. I'd say I speak the truth though. Who actually likes the sound of a clattery old tractor? Honestly.

Show me a single person who thinks an FR TDi sounds better than an LCR (who doesn't already own a diesel because they're tight).

LiamMoore

What should I expect to spend on fuel doing between 80-150 miles a week? With some sensible driving and some fun driving;)

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
What should I expect to spend on fuel doing between 80-150 miles a week? With some sensible driving and some fun driving;)

Mixed roads, all A & B roads, or motorways mate?

I get around 32 average I reckon. That is all sorts of roads and driving.

If I go for a B road rag for 30 miles which I do regularly to blow cobwebs away (mine and the car's!) it'll still do 28 mpg! And that's not hanging around at all.

Motorway or decent journey and it'll do 35 easy.

100 miles a week at say 30 mpg = 20+ quid roughly. NOTHING in other words! :)