Cupra r 225 or fr tdi 150???

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Double-6s continued to provoke, saying

Quieter inside? Well I've had both and I'd rather listen to a petrol engine than a diesel. I'd say that's almost universal in the car world.

No, that's only the case if you're a petrolhead. The "car world" is far larger than your little corner.

Not so brash? Er......... right. Brash in what way?

Announcing its presence with special parts and an forward "sportscar" look. Aggressive is too strong a word, but heading in that direction.

I have bucket loads of low end torque and find it very easy to drive around town lol. I'm very unclear as to how noise and vibration would make it easier.

You've already made it clear you have an irrational prejudice against diesels, sliding innuendo into every sentence doesn't help your case.

Noise and vibration? Keep your LCR quiet, that is, below 4000rpm and the TDI will beat you.

Your buckets are smaller than mine.

Dump valve - well yeah ok I suppose that is a reason. Personally I wouldn't endure a diesel just to avoid the sound of a DV though.

We've already got the picture, you don't like diesels. Are you aping Jeremy Clarkson?

Come on people get serious. There really is only one reason isn't there: MONEY

And there it is again. You just can't stop slinging the ****, can you.

If someone else was paying for your fuel, would you still choose the diesel? You can answer in private so that nobody else knows that secretly you'd choose the LCR ;)

I've already told the original poster, in clear and polite language, that he should choose the LCR - look upthread if you can't remember that. I've also talked a bit about my old Golf GTI, which leaves your LCR in the dust for thrills. 830kg, 110 BHp, no abs, no power steering, nothing between you and the road. Delightful.

By the way, your reasons for choosing an LCR above, are just plain stupid.

Look up irony.

I haven't mentioned any of those points. Traffic light grand prix etc? No. My reason for chooisng an LCR over a diesel leon is as follows: it's a better car unless money is the main consideration.

It's only a better car because it fits your requirements better. Other people have different priorities. It's usually polite to recognise that.

LiamMoore

No motorway driving mate. Mixture of A and B roads back and forward to work and social driving really:) although i do enjoy a goo blast on country roads :)

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
Muttley who's taken the jam out of your doughnut pal? Keep your shirt on.

I'd say you're clearly showing more blind predjudice towards diesel than I am toward petrol.

My little corner of the world? lol. Rather presumptious of you that is. You don't know a thing about me. I'm 41, well educated (eventually), decent job and have travelled all over the world paid for with my own hard work. I'd say I have a fairly good world view on life. Not what you clearly imagine.

No I'm not aping JC or anyone else. I have my own mind thanks very much.

Slinging ****? Nope, just pointing out that I believe the almost exclusive reason for choosing a diesel is fiscal. Do you know that word? In "your little corner of the world".

Golf GTi? I've owned several. Various Mk's and engines. And corrados. And very many other cars in my 24 years of driving. Again, you presume to know me, and know my knowledge of cars. You know nothing about me.

Irony? I'm aware of the meaning of the word, and many 1000s of others. You look it up.

Politeness. YOU are the one slinging almost personal comments around fella, not me. My points are all valid and are perfectly reasonable when answering the question of wether to choose a TDi or an LCR. By the way, my "tight" comments were made in jest. If you choose to interpret them any other way, the issue is with you not me.

Get over yourself fella. If you can't take a bit of anti-diesel banter then again, that's your issue. I'm not making points that I don't believe for the sake of being antagonistic. I happen to believe in what I'm saying, and adding a bit of anti-diesel banter doesn't really harm anyone except you apparently.

The original poster certainly doesn't seem offended by my impolite ways :)

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
No motorway driving mate. Mixture of A and B roads back and forward to work and social driving really:) although i do enjoy a goo blast on country roads :)

Mine actually seems to return slightly better mpg on an A road blast compared to a motorway cruise mate. Strange.

Country road blast is essential for the car and the driver :)

when i had a 20vt and gave the car a blast and watched the dash with current mpg showing i saw 17mpg then it would go --- which i pressume is lower.
the 20vt can be really good on fuel if you drive them gently but it really isnt any fun atall driving them gently its hard work.
i dont think £20 a week of mixed driving over 100 miles is atall realistic.

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
Well I did say 20+ I think, but call it 25 quid then.

That's 4 gallons at 25 mpg. Roughly! This isn't a maths lesson :)

Unless you spank it Everywhere, all the time, I'd say that's totally realistic.

Last edited:

LiamMoore

I find power addictive and I tend to have a heavy foot more often than not. I do the speed limits. It sometimes I drive upto the speed limit as fast as is possible:p

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Im in the enviable position of having a 100bhp tdi estate and 320bhp petrol cupra. They are oppersite ends of the scale.

Cupra is a monster and great fun, certainly the choice for fun. But if i had to drive through london, or start/stop traffic the tdi comes into its own... its dead easy to drive and never really feels off boost.

Not saying the petrol is a bad car in traffic it isnt, but its 1.8l until 3k+ and once past that theres too much power when everyone else is pootling along.

For me one isnt better than the other... both are great at what they do.

CupraCraig225

May 11, 2012
Leicester...ish
when i had a 20vt and gave the car a blast and watched the dash with current mpg showing i saw 17mpg then it would go --- which i pressume is lower.
the 20vt can be really good on fuel if you drive them gently but it really isnt any fun atall driving them gently its hard work.
i dont think £20 a week of mixed driving over 100 miles is atall realistic.

Mine has only shown --- on the current mpgs when off throttle for a few seconds? Presume its using very little? If you have the loud peel pressed then I'm sure that's not the case :)

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
Mine wasn't. My TDi Ibiza was horrible on the motorway. Harsh suspension (standard dampers and springs) and a horrible lateral jiggly movement that isn't present in leons. And anyway, the comparison is between an FR TDi 150 and an LCR - both leons. Also, yes the TDi has softer suspension and so is more COMFORTABLE. I'm not convinced that means it's a better drive. It means it's more comfortable. If you're considering an LCR, it's unlikely that comfort is your priority.

I didn't quite say that petrol universally sounds better than diesel actually. I said its universally accepted that petrol sounds better than diesel. Subtlely different statements. I'd say I speak the truth though. Who actually likes the sound of a clattery old tractor? Honestly.

Show me a single person who thinks an FR TDi sounds better than an LCR (who doesn't already own a diesel because they're tight).

fair enough, they are indeed slightly different (but different nonetheless) statements. but the 3.0 V6 TDI can sound good, and for a petrol I don't think the 1.8T sounds particularly good/nice anyway.

more comfortable on the motorway is better on the motorway though

if you're going to keep on with this tight thing, why do you drive a SEAT which is the cheapest of all the VAG brands? because you're tight?

if the choice was absolutely nailed down to a PD150 Cupra/FR or an LCR, out of the two and given the OP's circumstances I would have the LCR

LiamMoore

If I got the LCR I would get a stage 1 remap. And a sports exhaust. What type of bhp would I be looking at. And would I need too upgrade any parts ie coil pack, clutch ect?

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
in a nutshell,

LCR - great car ......29-39 mpg

fr 150 - great car.....40-60mpg

lets not forget cars come in many different engine guises to attract different subject audiences , neither are bad cars, ones drastically quicker than the other, hell my 20vt cupra can walk over a fr150 , but its not all about speed, ive spent the past 3 weeks driving steady with a 39-40mpg comeback, & ive enjoyed it just as much as booting it, driving a diesel this way would also see 50-60mpg plus which is an added benefit,

I agree with muttley on the traffic light grand prix, Diesel engines are far more refined than what they were 20 years back, so many diesels are on par with performance petrols up to 40-50mph, bmws 335d is a good example-

I detest diesels power delivery ( mainly due to rocking a tdi works van every bloody day ) so look forward to driving the 1.8t for the free feeling 20vt, but by no means would i ever call the pd150 lump a dog, its up there with the best ..

my opinion, its purely personal preference, the fr150 is a capable car, the LCR is just its faster brother ( which is was always designed to be)

the fun bit is being the underdog.... & eventually having a cupra 180/fr150 that will tramp An LCR ( Traumpats being a perfect example!)

Last edited:

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Er, a single reason OTHER THAN MONEY?!

So are you telling me a TDi LOOKS better?

I'm sorry but they look the same (!)

BOTTOM LINE......... the ONLY reason someone would choose a diesel over an LCR is money!!!! Prove me wrong, but I still can't think of any other reason for choosing the oil burber. Sorry tight folk but it's true.

Wrong...look the same ONLY from someone who doesn't know cars..and thats only the FR+.

The LCR had MASSIVE differences over a FR TDI...brembos, 18" wheels, interior, seats, steering wheel, exhaust, suspension, etc
Look at the differences Sticky for all.

I had a Leon FR+ TDi for 5 years, sold it recently for a LCR, which is now mapped to Stage 1 with only a panel filter...
My mapped FR would definitely have (and has) been a match for a standard LCR as it also was with type r's to a certain degree..

BUT...the mapped LCR is in a diff league.

1ns4ne1d10t

WOA Boy! Don't suddenly jump straight into an LCR just because the bigger majority of users are telling you to get an LCR! Its easy to be lead on but some of them have decent jobs with the money to be able to afford the privilage. I appreciate some of the users are saying the 225 unleaded costs aren't quite as bad as you think but none of the users have mentioned the cost of the tax and the insurance for the LCR. I'd have an LCR over an FR if it was just the fuel costs alone but sadly it isn't.

Its not including the tax also costs of £240 a year on an LCR whereas on a TDI 150 its Tax bracket F and costs £130. And don't forget the FR is insurance group 13 and the LCR is insurance group 17.

You can't compare an FR to an LCR but just think about the financial side of it before you rush into it. Last thing you want to do is buy an LCR thinking about the fuel consumption being fairly good on a light foot and then grit your teeth and gulp when you realise how much the tax is.

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
WOA Boy! Don't suddenly jump straight into an LCR just because the bigger majority of users are telling you to get an LCR! Its easy to be lead on but some of them have decent jobs with the money to be able to afford the privilage. I appreciate some of the users are saying the 225 unleaded costs aren't quite as bad as you think but none of the users have mentioned the cost of the tax and the insurance for the LCR. I'd have an LCR over an FR if it was just the fuel costs alone but sadly it isn't.

Its not including the tax also costs of £240 a year on an LCR whereas on a TDI 150 its Tax bracket F and costs £130. And don't forget the FR is insurance group 13 and the LCR is insurance group 17.

You can't compare an FR to an LCR but just think about the financial side of it before you rush into it. Last thing you want to do is buy an LCR thinking about the fuel consumption being fairly good on a light foot and then grit your teeth and gulp when you realise how much the tax is.

Good point...
Other expenses are dearer tyres, expensive brake pads/ discs etc

1ns4ne1d10t

Good point...
Other expenses are dearer tyres, expensive brake pads/ discs etc

I was in Bracknell last year having the tyres and tracking done and came across a guy who had the full LCR version of my FR, it was even the same colour as mine. He rolled in and we got chatting and he was astounded at the cost of my front tyres. When he asked how much mine cost for the two front 17 inch versions of his 18" LCR wheels I said Bracknell tyres were quoting me £50 each. Only he was paying out over £100 for the cheapest on an LCR. There were a numper of parts he was asking me how much mine cost over his parts and besides the running costs, tax costs and insurance he didn't realise TDI 150's were that cheap to keep because the parts were all the normal VW/Audi bits and bobs as a pose to the Seat Sport and Brembo kit. More to the point I didn't realise!

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
I've got both ... PD130 in a Fabia vRS (146bhp) and Seat Leon Cupra (230bhp) ... Difference in performance is night and day. The Cupra pulls harder at lower rpm on light throttle but both have grunt. The vRS is easier to drive quickly and requires less effort.

Both cars excel on the road and both are serious fun but being a true petrol head I take the LC every time... it's an absolute beast on full chat and makes me smile everytime I drive it. The lack of rev range on the vRS I find quite annoying when wanting to play but it's just so cheap to run compared to the LC which averages 28-29mpg.

But if your worried about fuel economy then an LC / LCR isn't for you.

1ns4ne1d10t

As this is a forum and its open to this kind of debate you will find a lot of idiots out there who have never driven a diesel before and will be anti-diesel to the core when they own a turbo petrol. Without being biased against petrols I only recently drove two brand new 2.0T 265bhp Renault Megane RS Cups at work and being used to a remapped FR TDI and hearing what people say about performance petrols being massively better than diesel in every aspect of performance I actually beg to differ. I was massively disappointed in the performance of turbo charged petrols to turbo charged diesels and its not the first time I've driven quick turbo charged petrols. I found the initial pulling power to be much lazier and far more unresponsive. 265bhp in a power band of 6,000 revs you'd expect to be sucked right back in your seat 3x harder than any diesel as soon as you so much as sniff the throttle. I found that not to be the case, they call it diesel torque for a very good reason. Some people moan that TDI's are laggy below 2,000 revs but I hate to say this but try driving a turbo petrol if you think diesels are laggy because most of them are even worse and by the time it lifts off and gives you what you need its almost kicked in too late. I've always found turbo petrol liftoffs to be after 3,000 or 3,500 revs and anything before that is dead power and once you get it in the wrong gear its a good as useless whereas diesels on the other hand will still pull like its going out of fashion.

I'm not sticking in favour of diesel and slagging off petrol but if I went out and bought a petrol over my remapped TDI not knowing what they were like to drive just listening to everyone elses opinion buying one purely for better overtaking performance and similar low down grunt I would be extrememly disappointed with it. Here I am I've just bought a faster car, its got 100 horsepower more than my old diesel, my annual premiums just gone up, I'm paying more tax so I'm expecting it to deliver what I'm paying for it to do. I'm not saying TDI's are faster, god no but from my own experience torque is just as important as Bhp.

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
All this talk about torque...a mapped LCR has as much torque as a mapped FR TDI and the extra BHP right across the rev range to 7k.

A remap completely transforms an LCR. As does a remap to a TDI, but different leagues...IMHO

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.