Cupra r 225 or fr tdi 150???

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Hello all, this Is my first post so I hope this is the right place:) I'm looking at either getting a Cupra r 225 or an fr 150. I do around 80-150 miles a week. What do you guys think?:) and also is the difference in performance between the 2 that much?

Thanks

considered an S3 and the 225 and i was coming from and mint low mileage Clio mk1 16v due to just a weekend car and was sold for good money, i had no car for over 6 months looking with road tax and fuel shooting up i went the FR 150 and remapped it as i got a good deal on a 50k FR and it is still worth the same money when i bought it last year:)
the other good thing about theses Pd150 engines there very easy to service at home as well so you save again due to not using a garage unless it is brakes ect also there is not many common faults the main ones are the Maf,temp sensor in the expansion tank and door seals which are all easy fixed by your self, like all cars they need tobe used petrol or diesel just give it a good run now and again and the diesel will not depreciate as much.

LiamMoore

To be honest I'm not too bothered on fuel costs. I want a performance car tbh. What would you say a mapped 225 is in the same league as speed wise?

LiamMoore

What will a mapped 225 top out at? Not that I'd ever top one out :p

YTS

Jun 25, 2009
I own I pd150 and I have a friend who use to own a LCR so I can compare both.

A LCR is much more a drivers car and is a good car much better if you like to rev up.

A pd150 is much more a lazy drivers car. Plenty of low down power, cheaper to run and with a remap can be just as quick as a standard LCR IMO.

It comes down to what you can afford to run. For me a pd150 was the better choice. I'm a petrol head at heart but a remapped diesel can just be as much fun.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
What will a mapped 225 top out at? Not that I'd ever top one out :p

at very best 150-155 by thew clocks, ( realisticaly about 145 actual ), but to be fair its no fun, the fun is to be had between 20-80ish, its in gear acceleration where you'll enjoy it most,

I agree with the above post too, the tdi's ive driven have been easy to drive quicky, the lc/lcrs are more difficult to drive quickly , yet far more rewarding when you do, the LCR even the LC is more a drivers car, the tdi a far easier car to drive as quick to 50 ish

tdi drivers know how to get the most out of a tdi, petrol owners know how to get the most out of a petrol, i dont think its a fair comparison just driving either for 10 mins and then having a conclusion,

Last edited:

LiamMoore

Very true it's ny about speed it's about acceleration for me. I'd certernly get a remap and a sports exhaust and panel filter ect. Would I need too upgrade any parts if I done so?

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
not really, everyone sticks on a forge 007 diverter valve, but being honest the stock diverter valve is easily good enough, it more personal preference,

LiamMoore

Will the clutch and coil pack be able to deal with the extra torque?

LiamMoore

What's the cost of a stage 2. And do you know anywhere in the northeast that do it?

Spirit Furtive

Nov 20, 2010
Oxfordshire
You seem to have quite a few questions so I would suggest using the search function as most of them have been answered in depth many many times before.

LiamMoore

I'm just trying to get as much info as possible from people who own the car I'm after:) But I'll search google:)

LiamMoore

Also what's including in a full sports exhaust system? Ir back box downpipe ect? I don't fully understand