Cupra R ABT issues

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Congrats!
How are you liking the dsg tune so far?
Very happy with it all, still smooth when driving normally but much faster when you put your foot down. Plus when you have the car in manual it’s much more responsive than before.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Very happy with it all, still smooth when driving normally but much faster when you put your foot down. Plus when you have the car in manual it’s much more responsive than before.

Had an APR DSG tune on my Golf R. My one complaint was in town driving Comfort mode it was constantly changing between 2nd+3rd around the 28-30mph mark. Is this still the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Good results from the APR Stage 1 on the VRS Dyno! That's the same dyno my old car made 416bhp (APR Stage 2 98ron high torque file)

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Had an APR DSG tune on my Golf R. My one complaint was in town driving Comfort mode it was constantly changing between 2nd+3rd around the 28-30mph mark. Is this still the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can’t say I’ve notice it, but I’ll be keeping an eye on it

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Really? Over 300 on SEAT's engine dyno? You don't seem to understand that all dynos differ from day to day. Even run to run. If you had real experience in the motor trade you'd know this. Instead of getting sucked into internet wisdom.
I find not taking vehicle mods seriously can result in tears, and I'll never pretend to agree when I don't. It
You do need to lighten up though. A lot of these people you talk about on the internet, actually meet up and talk to each other in person and it’s not just internet bravado. They see these things in the real world. Whether it’s at a local meet, race track, drag strip or Dyno days.

Where I agree a Dyno is not always the most accurate thing, these engines do generally produce more power than the factory numbers suggest. This has been shown by drag strip times and GPS recorded in gear accelerations.

The press are not the most accurate of people at times but even a lot of them commented that the 280 Spanish horses seems to have just as much poke as the 300 German horses at the time. ECU tuners who look at maps like Racingline were even saying the ECU file on a 300 Golf R was identical to that of a 280 Cupra.

So lighten up, you come across as if you’re the font of all knowledge when it comes to cars. Yet let’s be honest you aren’t. (And neither am I for the record). I know you seem to like to be the resident grumpy b*****d. But sometimes you just come across as a bit of a, well ****. I’d like to assume you’re not and you’re trying to be helpful. But it certainly doesn’t come across that way.

He’s on my ignore list now lol. Ignorant grumpy ba***d lmao

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
A standard Cupra will not make 300 hp when running on 95 (as allowed by VAG), the ECU is protecting the engine on the lower octane fuel. Would you return your car in this situation?
Many people on here simply to not understand that vehicle manufacturers always have to consider litigation if they produce a product that fails through their negligence.
Don't buy the ABT unit, buy some aftermarket thing that'll void your warranty if that's what you prefer. I won't.

I know this particular thread went sideways, but this post did strike me as having some truth, but I didn't want to wade into anything..

And because I was prompted to look when i saw reference to the RON rating elsewhere, it quite clearly states in the Leon manual the following..

"Unleaded super plus 98 octane petrol or super 95 octane petrol at least
We recommend refuelling with super plus 98 octane petrol (93 AKI). If not available: super
95 octane petrol (91 AKI) (with a slight power loss)."

I have always heard this is how the ECU works, on VAG cars anyway..

Sorry to dig up a dead thread but it bugged me at the time when i knew I'd read/heard it before..

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I know this particular thread went sideways, but this post did strike me as having some truth, but I didn't want to wade into anything..

And because I was prompted to look when i saw reference to the RON rating elsewhere, it quite clearly states in the Leon manual the following..

"Unleaded super plus 98 octane petrol or super 95 octane petrol at least
We recommend refuelling with super plus 98 octane petrol (93 AKI). If not available: super
95 octane petrol (91 AKI) (with a slight power loss)."

I have always heard this is how the ECU works, on VAG cars anyway..

Sorry to dig up a dead thread but it bugged me at the time when i knew I'd read/heard it before..

well yes, a lower quality fuel than what they recommend would obviously impact performance... it is people’s choice what grade fuel they use.... a £500 option that only works properly in certain conditions is slightly different.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.