cupra remap and clutch query

happylad

old boy racer
Oct 22, 2008
benfleet essex
Hello thinking of remapping my 04 ibiza tdi160. celtic quote 210 bhp and 320lb/ft. BUT i have read some threads about slipping clutchs. I drive mostly urban and the original clutch has covered 38k. Do I need to upgrade the clutch or will the old one do. Can get it chipped to less torque!!! what will the factory fit clutch handle?

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
basically it depends who much abuse you clutch has had. the standard clutch is rated to 300lbft of torque.

if you drive sensibly and don’t boot it everywhere below 2000 rpm your clutch will be fine for a while.

happylad

old boy racer
Oct 22, 2008
benfleet essex
mmmmmmmmmmm how long is "a while" ??? celtic have said that their re map is in line with manufacturing tolerances and that the clutch will be fine BUT they would say that wouldn't they.
Unfortunately i driv 90% normally but 10% as a complete arse lighting up the traction control and "bouncing" the wheels when annoyed.
if the clutch is rated to 300 then would 320 be much worse. I was going to sell but my son is 17 next year so will be trading in to a boring 1.0L for lessons so want to "enjoy myself" a bit longer [B)]

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
mmmmmmmmmmm how long is "a while" ??? celtic have said that their re map is in line with manufacturing tolerances and that the clutch will be fine BUT they would say that wouldn't they.
Unfortunately i driv 90% normally but 10% as a complete arse lighting up the traction control and "bouncing" the wheels when annoyed.
if the clutch is rated to 300 then would 320 be much worse. I was going to sell but my son is 17 next year so will be trading in to a boring 1.0L for lessons so want to "enjoy myself" a bit longer [B)]

how long is a piece of string?

bassically when i had mine remapped my thoughts were if the clutch cant cope i deal with it when it dies rather then fit a clutch and then find out you didnt need it. mine was mapped up to 290lbft and i have never had a problem with the clutch slipping. even when being an arse around the nurburg ring:lol:

k_pt

I have 240ish bhp and 350 ish lb/ft, and I can't break my clutch, no matter how hard I try. And I've been trying for 100k now

hum, thats not your stock clutch :blink:

I've limited my map to 395Nms (+/- 300lb/ft) and still slips a bit when its cold.

borderboy

Sep 5, 2009
Gretna Green
it all depens how you drive....leaving it in a high gear from low mph and accelerating will destroy it....driving it hard doesn't nessesary mean you will automaticly **** your clutch up !

just dont boot it from 5th gear at 40-50mph and make the car rev you will be fine !

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
54 K miles in my Cupra TDI on original clutch remapped to 195 bhp from pretty much new (6k miles) and no sign of clutch slip.

Most of my miles are on country lanes so the power is used daily ;)

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
So if you get clutch slip and need to replace the clutch, how much is the replacement and where would ou get it, what make? Recomendations?

Also any other things you need to watch out for after a remap? Anything else that is essential to do?

Rhys_

Mar 29, 2009
Cardiff, South Wales
The map on mine is around 320/325 torque and no sign of any clutch slip yet! the map was done a fair few 000 miles ago now too! and i make sure i make the most of the power when i can too :whistle:

happylad

old boy racer
Oct 22, 2008
benfleet essex
still not sure!!!! don't want to pay out for a new clutch. new cam belt being done next week so not much spare cash.
anyway what is the benifit of a green air filter???? is it worth the money???( not instead of remap)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.