Cupra ST Mk3 2018 DSG6 vs Cupra ST Mk3 2019 DSG7... help needed please!

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Honestly think you should get the 2018 model. The 6 speed is a good box and you don't have to worry about the styling.

It reminds me of Eddie Jordan talking about Yachts :O He was asked about Ferrari's ridiculous expensive Yacht in Monaco. He said something along the lines of.

"If you sat on a 10 million pound yacht, and your unhappy because someone has a 500 million pound yacht to the side of you, there is something wrong with you, not the yacht."

And the the 7 speed gearbox isn't THAT much better than the 6 ;) Plus the 6 speeder is on a none WLTP 'bodge job' car. Remember these engines were never originally designed around the new WLTP regs. So I'd say your safer with a MY2018 car.
Yeah I also think this now after doing lots of reading. I test drove the DSG6 box and it was lovely, so the only downside I can see is the additional noise when cruising on motorways vs a DSG7 box.

The only thing stopping me buying the 2018 model that I referred to in the OP now is that I don't need it until January and they want me to pay the full amount now to secure it.

Sigh, decisions decisions...

Deleted member 103408

I would also just add into the 6 vs 7 speed you can also remap the 6 speed gearbox (as I have) just like you can the 7 speed.

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yeah I also think this now after doing lots of reading. I test drove the DSG6 box and it was lovely, so the only downside I can see is the additional noise when cruising on motorways vs a DSG7 box.

The only thing stopping me buying the 2018 model that I referred to in the OP now is that I don't need it until January and they want me to pay the full amount now to secure it.

I personally don’t like the idea of a car being sat there doing nothing for 3 months. It’s better if it gets driven IMO.

Assuming you can afford to swap it now, may as well take advantage if you can.

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
I personally don’t like the idea of a car being sat there doing nothing for 3 months. It’s better if it gets driven IMO.

Assuming you can afford to swap it now, may as well take advantage if you can.

Well if I pay now I may as well take it and drive it now, I wouldn't leave it there for 2 months. My original idea was to pay a deposit and pay the rest in early January but they said it's not possible.

As for the "Assuming you can afford to swap it now, may as well take advantage if you can." part ,do you mean if I can swap it for the 2019 model? Didn't quite catch the meaning, sorry (I'm stuffed with cold at the moment). :)

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016

I would have a small bet that there is no noticeable difference in engine noise between the two at 70/80 mph.
The 7 speed will have reduced revs and be slightly more economical but engine noise is well insulated on the majority of cars now and in any case is exceeded by tyre noise.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Well if I pay now I may as well take it and drive it now, I wouldn't leave it there for 2 months. My original idea was to pay a deposit and pay the rest in early January but they said it's not possible.

As for the "Assuming you can afford to swap it now, may as well take advantage if you can." part ,do you mean if I can swap it for the 2019 model? Didn't quite catch the meaning, sorry (I'm stuffed with cold at the moment). :)

Meant assuming you can afford to pay for the car now. If you can why wait ;)

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
I would have a small bet that there is no noticeable difference in engine noise between the two at 70/80 mph.
The 7 speed will have reduced revs and be slightly more economical but engine noise is well insulated on the majority of cars now and in any case is exceeded by tyre noise.

Yes true, and the majority of my time will be spent at 60-100km/h and max 120km/h unless I am on the German autobahns.

Meant assuming you can afford to pay for the car now. If you can why wait ;)

Yeah you're right in that regard, I guess the sooner I get it the sooner I can get used to it... it will just mean a bit of financial jiggling if I have to pay now as opposed to in January when I could do it without any hassle after a few months savings.

However ideally I would pay a part of it now then pick it up in January when I get back from my Christmas hols. :)

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yeah you're right in that regard, I guess the sooner I get it the sooner I can get used to it... it will just mean a bit of financial jiggling if I have to pay now as opposed to in January when I could do it without any hassle after a few months savings.

However ideally I would pay a part of it now then pick it up in January when I get back from my Christmas hols. :)
Yeah car finances are right royal PITA. I was expecting to pick my new motor up in early December at the time I paid the first bit of the deposit to secure the car. Then it went to mid November, then we agreed 4th November. Now its looking like end of October!

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Yeah car finances are right royal PITA. I was expecting to pick my new motor up in early December at the time I paid the first bit of the deposit to secure the car. Then it went to mid November, then we agreed 4th November. Now its looking like end of October!
Sound strange. Why the change of date, and is it a 2018 or 2019 model?

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Ok guys I have just received some info which has changed things somewhat...

Apparently I do NOT have to pay the full amount for the car immediately, so if I sign the contract the dealer has agreed to keep the car nice and safe in their storage until early January when I pick it up. I only have to pay a few days before I pick it up.

So, with this in mind can I please ask you for your opinions and rationale on the following two options...

----------------------------------

Option 1:

1) Shall I take the fully loaded (besides the safety net in the boot which it doesn't have) 2018 model Leon ST Cupra in the lovely Monsoon grey which has the reliable and proven DSG6 gearbox in addition to the silver Cupra badge, flags and styling we all know and love?

Option 2:

2) Risk losing my chance at the fully loaded 2018 model and hang on a few weeks to test drive the 2019 model which comes in Magnetic Grey and has the DSG7 gearbox which may or may not drive better and provide a quieter ride when cruising? Oh yeah, and it has all that copper stuff.

Your thoughts, please? :)

PS: Damo H yours have already been taken into account Cupra ST Mk3 2018 DSG6 vs Cupra ST Mk3 2019 DSG7... help needed please! ;)

Last edited:

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016

Apparently I do NOT have to pay the full amount for the car immediately, so if I sign the contract the dealer has agreed to keep the car nice and safe in their storage until early January when I pick it up. I only have to pay a few days before I pick it up.

So, with this in mind can I please ask you for your opinions and rationale on the following two options...

Option 1:

1) Shall I take the fully loaded (besides the safety net in the boot which it doesn't have) 2018 model Leon ST Cupra in the lovely Monsoon grey which has the reliable and proven DSG6 gearbox in addition to the silver Cupra badge, flags and styling we all know and love?

Option 2:

2) Risk losing my chance at the fully loaded 2018 model and hang on a few weeks to test drive the 2019 model which comes in Magnetic Grey and has the DSG7 gearbox which may or may not drive better and provide a quieter ride when cruising? Oh yeah, and it has all that copper stuff.

PS: Damo H yours have already been taken into account Cupra ST Mk3 2018 DSG6 vs Cupra ST Mk3 2019 DSG7... help needed please! ;)
Depends totally on the prices.
Obviously you are going to be saying to the dealer, how much cheaper is the 2018 to give me the incentive to have an "old" model?
Exactly how much cheaper it needs to be is up to you personally!

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Option 1:

Option 2:

Haha

Not sure if the rules are the same for you but in the UK you could do option 3...

3) Put the deposit down for the 2018 model to secure it, then test drive the 2019 model when it comes in and decide then...

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Depends totally on the prices.
Obviously you are going to be saying to the dealer, how much cheaper is the 2018 to give me the incentive to have an "old" model?
Exactly how much cheaper it needs to be is up to you personally!
Well, I get a 13% company discount so that is how much cheaper it is than the standard similar 2018 or 2019 model that is new form the factory with the current SEAT rebates. It works out to £31500 at current exchange rates. The 2019 model will undoubtedly be around a similar price with discount, so there is probably nothing in it in monetary terms.

To me the only material differences are that the 2019 has the gopping styling changes and the newer DSG7 gearbox that may improve motoroway cruising comfort.

Haha

Not sure if the rules are the same for you but in the UK you could do option 3...

3) Put the deposit down for the 2018 model to secure it, then test drive the 2019 model when it comes in and decide then...

Problem is I have to sign a contract so if I break that contract then there will likely be (considering the country I live in) financial repercussions...

Deleted member 103408

My personal view is if you find a car you like, the price and spec is right then buy it.

There is always going to be a newer updated version of the car you buy so whats missing that is making you hessitate.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
My personal view is if you find a car you like, the price and spec is right then buy it.

My thought too. If you keep waiting for a newer model with better toys you will spend all your time wondering what the car will be like rather than enjoying your time in the car.

Go with the model available to you now

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Well, I get a 13% company discount so that is how much cheaper it is than the standard similar 2018 or 2019 model that is new form the factory with the current SEAT rebates. It works out to £31500 at current exchange rates. The 2019 model will undoubtedly be around a similar price with discount, so there is probably nothing in it in monetary terms.

To me the only material differences are that the 2019 has the gopping styling changes and the newer DSG7 gearbox that may improve motoroway cruising comfort.

Problem is I have to sign a contract so if I break that contract then there will likely be (considering the country I live in) financial repercussions...
In the UK you get a cooling off period from when you sign for any finance. And when putting a deposit down on a car you are entitled to a full and immediate refund if you change your mind. I had my deposit refunded on the skoda I originally ordered when I ended up getting the Cupra.

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
My thought too. If you keep waiting for a newer model with better toys you will spend all your time wondering what the car will be like rather than enjoying your time in the car.

Go with the model available to you now

There is always going to be a newer updated version of the car you buy so whats missing that is making you hessitate.

Ok guys thank point taken!
In the UK you get a cooling off period from when you sign for any finance. And when putting a deposit down on a car you are entitled to a full and immediate refund if you change your mind. I had my deposit refunded on the skoda I originally ordered when I ended up getting the Cupra.
Yup but I'm not in the UK and I'm paying cash. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.