Cupra vs Cupra R(+suggestions)

Oct 10, 2019
Greetings, I was not able to find too much info about this on Google so I am posting here. I saw some threads about similar topics buy in them, only mentions are about the exterior. So I am wondering, if anyone knows, what are the engine differences on Cupra MK2 and on Cupra R MK2? I thought that it is just more boost and timing, but now I found out that Revo Stage 1 for Cupra offers around 300hp, while for Cupra R, Stage 1 is 315-320hp. Also, I have full stock Cupra, do you recommend Revo map or some other custom map? One official Revo dealer/mechanic shop offers custom map,290ish hp for 400 euros or Revo Stage 1 with 300-315hp and switcher that can switch from Stock and Revo for 600 euros. What do you guys recommend. I am already pretty happy with the car, it has great fuel economy and is fast enough for me, but I heard that after remap, you get even better fuel economy if you drive normally,and of course you get extra grunt through the rev range. Thanks for your help in advance.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd guess just a little more boost as the Cupra leaves the factory with 240bhp and the R 265bhp. But both have the same engine (facelift anyway) and map up to the same 300bhp(ISH). But mostly cosmetic, leather stitched seats, 19" wheels (Vs 18) and R branding on eg Speedo, front and rear bumper.

I've got Revo Stage 2+. It's fast, but quite a safe map. I reckon a custom map would get me another 20bhp and 50lbs of torque. But do I really want to stress the engine to its limits? But really depends. Revo is a safe option. But if you have really good local mappers for fancy trying. Do that.

Oct 10, 2019
I'd guess just a little more boost as the Cupra leaves the factory with 240bhp and the R 265bhp. But both have the same engine (facelift anyway) and map up to the same 300bhp(ISH). But mostly cosmetic, leather stitched seats, 19" wheels (Vs 18) and R branding on eg Speedo, front and rear bumper.

I've got Revo Stage 2+. It's fast, but quite a safe map. I reckon a custom map would get me another 20bhp and 50lbs of torque. But do I really want to stress the engine to its limits? But really depends. Revo is a safe option. But if you have really good local mappers for fancy trying. Do that.
I think Stage 1 would be plenty for me since I don't plan to add anything special like S3 injectors or aftermarket HPFP onto the car in the near future, maybe an intake or an exhaust but I really like how the car is almost completely silent while driving. This is the first car in which I have to look at the tacho when I do hard pulls since the car is very silent and so I cannot figure out at what revs I currently am, all the way until 5500-6000rpm, which I like for now. Did stage 2+ affect your fuel economy and daily driving,, I mean does the turbo kick in later?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Stage 1 is plenty and well worth it. It'll completely transform the car for you. 2+ is a bit aggressive. I love that it pulls all through the rev range. But we've had storms all day today and all I could do is spin the wheels.

I think the peak torque is about the same rpm give or take. I get 33mpg motorway. 18-22mpg around town.

Oct 10, 2019
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know is the boost of stock cupra 1.0 or 1.2 bars? Also how much boost does revo stage 1 add?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
There was a guide somewhere I can't seem to place at the moment. The closest I can find at the moment is:
"R-Tech stage 1 tuning will tend to see around 1.3 – 1.4bar boost ranges depending on the exact setups and tuning manner".

Oct 10, 2019
I contacted one car electronics firm nearby and asked them do they do any remaps, and they have been offered +40hp custom remap for about 100 pounds, stating that it is a real custom map, so I bring them the car, they download the ecu map and after a few days I return them the car to put on the new map and that they don't go "all in" with the power like some popular tuners. Sounds good?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Tnx for the link, so boost is only 0.85 bar? lol

There's a bit of a typo on stock - it says 01. I assume they mean peak stock boost is 1.0bar which makes more sense.

Oct 10, 2019
There's a bit of a typo on stock - it says 01. I assume they mean peak stock boost is 1.0bar which makes more sense.
Yep I see, but it says it gives constant 0.85 while 1.0 is just when you floor it from 2200rpm?