Cupra Vs Cupra R

Grimsby99

Hi all, i used the search feature but could not find what i was after. Either im over looking it or its not been covered which i would be surprised about.

Can someone give me a basic comparison between a Cupra and Cupra R. The bumpers on a Cupra R are a given and are obvious but what else does the R stand for?

What gives it the extra 40bhp etc?

I just want to see whether i can justify paying for LCR over a Cupra. Cheers

Grimsby99

Ahh brilliant cheers. I saw a post not long ago about the brembo setups are worth alot so going for the R straight away is worth it!

olibb

Jun 26, 2011
What i intend to do, from what i would imagine they would also be similar in fuel usage.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Cupra: AUQ code engine
Cupra R: AMK/BAM code engine

AMK/BAM has: forged connecting rods, oil squirters below pistons, K04-023 turbo, 2 intercoolers, reversed inlet manifold compared to AUQ, auxiliary coolant pump.

AUQ has: sintered connecting rods, no oil squirters, K03-052 turbo, 1 intercooler on the right side, no auxiliary coolant pump.

Cupra: 312mm front disc brakes, mono-piston brake caliper
Cupra R: 323mm front disc brakes, Brembo four-piston caliper

~Nautilus

Grimsby99

Cupra: AUQ code engine
Cupra R: AMK/BAM code engine

AMK/BAM has: forged connecting rods, oil squirters below pistons, K04-023 turbo, 2 intercoolers, reversed inlet manifold compared to AUQ, auxiliary coolant pump.

AUQ has: sintered connecting rods, no oil squirters, K03-052 turbo, 1 intercooler on the right side, no auxiliary coolant pump.

Cupra: 312mm front disc brakes, mono-piston brake caliper
Cupra R: 323mm front disc brakes, Brembo four-piston caliper

~Nautilus

Superb Nautilus! Everything covered there that i wanted to find out. It is certainly worth getting the R in my eyes. Hopefully people will be selling after Xmas!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
From
León cupra R
Seat Technical insight No. 04

LCR has

Front suspension:
Stiffer shocks and top mounts, adjustable camber, softer springs, 18mm ARB, cast wishbones, reinforced subframe, faster steering rack.

Rear suspension:
stiffer bushes, modified shocks and springs for firmer suspension, 22mm ARB

LCR is 10mm lower than LC

Brakes: Optional front 4-pot Brembo's. ABS, TCS, ESP and Hydraulic Brake Assist

Engine:
Bigger oil jets for piston cooling, and the pistons have also been modified.

The exhaust is larger in size and offers better temperature resistance.

Aux cooling pump to keep coolant circulating through the turbo after engine shutdown.

Different turbo capable of 2.1 bar, and has an EGT probe

Dual SMIC's

Twin catalysts, special back box to make a nice noise.

olibb

Jun 26, 2011
I didnt know if pot was classed at each side or all together :) - sorry for the vague question.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
There are 2 types of rods in the entire 1.8T range:

027 198 401B - forged, 20mm wrist pin: AMK, BAM, ARY, ATC and a few others

06A 198 401 - sintered, 19mm wrist pin: AUQ, AWP and the rest 150-180bhp 1.8Ts.

There had been common wisdom for years to see the forged rod as stronger, but when people began to see them breaking it became clear both types of rod hold up to 330-350bhp and they break themselves above, taking the entire engine with them.

~Nautilus

Allan_84

Apr 11, 2010
Denmark
not to be rude Nautilus, but i will correct you some here:

not any 1,8T have forged rods, the pistons and crank is forged.

all AMK/BAM 210/225bhp engines have 20mm wrist pin (rods), 180bhp engines can have either 19mm or 20mm (rods).
most 180 bhp engines in the leon mk1 is AUQ, and all AUQ engines have 19mm wrist pin (rods).
all 1,8T engines have oil squirters.

BHP = Engine code
225 = BAM
210 = AMK
180 = AJQ/APP/AUQ/ARY

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Nope. AUQ does not have oil squirters, unless there is a special version made just for Denmark which has. Mine didn't, when the workshop removed the pistons (to change the piston rings) they found none. At least they also took the opportunity to fit the IJ crank scraper back then :)

AUQ, ARY, AMK, BAM and all codes of 1.8T with 180bhp and above have forged crankshaft and pistons. Some 150bhp codes have cast crankshaft, but none had been fitted on any Leon ever made. Audi A4s (150bhp and some 163bhp) made for the US market (can't remember the codes) have a specific cast piston not found on other 1.8Ts.

Also the injectors for AUQ and AMK/BAM are different, larger in the latter case.

Pistons are different in AUQs and AMK/BAM, 9.5:1 compression in the first case and 8.9:1 in the latter, to better withstand high boost without detonating. All pistons have been tested in drag-racing Audi TTs up to 700bhp and they held.

Exhaust manifold made for AUQ does not fit AMK/BAM and there can be found no headers for K03-052 turbos, unless you can build them yourself. The K04-023 can fit a header.

BTW most aftermarket inlet manifolds are made for left-side inlet (AMK/BAM) and not right-side (any 150/180bhp 1.8T).

And last, as Issam from INA Engineering once said, no 1.8T rod is safe above 330-350bhp, on any serious big turbo kit - "300 is safe. 350-360bhp is quite risky. Hit 400bhp and you can kiss your rods goodbye".

The fact that people can run almost double stock power on stock internals 1.8Ts is proof of VAG build quality :)

~Nautilus

PS I had to learn all the above by book and also the hard way because I have been trying for almost 7 years to maximize power and driveability on stock K03-052 turbo. People who can afford to change all ancillaries for a big turbo kit usually disregard the small bits.

Last edited:

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Nope. AUQ does not have oil squirters, unless there is a special version made just for Denmark which has. Mine didn't, when the workshop removed the pistons (to change the piston rings) they found none. At least they also took the opportunity to fit the IJ crank scraper back then :)

~Nautilus

There is some seriously wrong info floating around this thread.....:ban:

My AUQ engine has / had oil squirters as do all 06a engine blocks !!!!! if yours doesn't then there's something up.

You can check if you like on VAGCAT online parts manuals.

Here is a picture of them -

DSC00632.jpg

There are small differences between the oil squirters and the screws that contain check valves...

DSC00629.jpg

And as for the rods the only difference is the little end (wrist / gudgeon pin) size either 19mm or 20mm.
They are not forged... infact they are suprisingly weak.
They tend to snap on remapped k04'd LCR's as many a poor folk is finding out.

It's not the power your putting out that snaps these rods it seems to be the massive torque spike that the standard quick spooling turbos create when remapped.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
grahams81 wrote

It's not the power your putting out that snaps these rods it seems to be the massive torque spike that the standard quick spooling turbos create when remapped.

Aarrrgh

Power(bhp)=Torque(lb-ft) x rpm/5252

At all times in any internal combustion engine the explosion of the fuel-air mixture exerts pressure on the piston which is experienced as torque on the crankshaft. The power so produced is a product of the torque and the engine rpm.

Power and torque are always present. Stop talking about them as though they were as different as chalk and three tons of semolina pudding :cry:

More crudely:

Power pushing the car down the road = how big a bang you can make x how often you can make it

There's always a bang.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise