Cupra Vs Cupra R

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Two things that made buying a new LCR in many European countries a big pain in the behind back in the early 2000s had been the difference in price (8700 euros, or almost 50% - which is bad enough in itself, but add the fact insurance had been calculated as a percent of the price...) and the cost of consumable items (brake pads, filters, belts...) as there were few aftermarket options and a set of OEM pads for the Brembos would quickly run to hundreds of euros at the stealers.

Nowadays, a 3000 GBP difference for a LCR is minor by comparison and cheap aftermarket consumables are aplenty. (A Bosch air filter is less than 10 euros in any automotive parts shop. An OEM timing belt kit had been 260-300 euros, now it's less than 150.)

~Nautilus

KatCowie

OEM Lover
Jun 23, 2007
Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
I had a 53 plate Leon Cupra, but then uprgaded to an 03 Leon Cupra R. I love my LCR, there is just something about it that feels great.

If you can, try and get a LCR with Recaros, they are great IMO.

LC has a black/grey cloth interior, LCR has all black interior.

I cana't think of anything else that hasnt been mentioned, but I think if you had the two cars sitting beside each other, then you would know which one you would prefer :)

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
PS According to all parts dealers and ETKA, all VAG engines from the Mk 4 generation above 1.4 liters have oil squirters (1.6, 1.8/125, 1.8T, 1.9TDI, 2.3 V5, 2.8 VR6, 3.2 VR6). Those who don't are 1.2 (3-cylinder) and 1.4/16V.

The confusion stems from 2 things -> first, the code for oil squirter is different from AUQ/ARY to AMK/BAM (06B 103 154 vs 06A 103 154B) and second, the squirter is nearly invisible with crankshaft in place.

~Nautilus

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
I also had a 1owner low miles facelift cupra with full heated leathers and I loved it but there's somethink about the R maybe better brakes or arbs std just feels that bit better, both std form I don't think there's much in it lets say quarter mile times etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland
Cupra: AUQ code engine
Cupra R: AMK/BAM code engine

AMK/BAM has: forged connecting rods, oil squirters below pistons, K04-023 turbo, 2 intercoolers, reversed inlet manifold compared to AUQ, auxiliary coolant pump.

AUQ has: sintered connecting rods, no oil squirters, K03-052 turbo, 1 intercooler on the right side, no auxiliary coolant pump.

Cupra: 312mm front disc brakes, mono-piston brake caliper
Cupra R: 323mm front disc brakes, Brembo four-piston caliper

~Nautilus

If the BAM engine has forged rods as standard,
why does EVERYONE, replace them with forged ones then?

The pistons are mahle and are forged,the standard rods are NOT!..

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
The AMK / BAM rods, despite being forged, do not withstand usually more than 320-330bhp and 300lb/ft. When dealing with huge amounts of money needed to fit a big turbo kit and supporting mods, spending a few hundred more on a stronger rod kit is safer.

Trimis de pe al meu GT-P3110 folosind Tapatalk

03cupra

May 18, 2010
Maidstone
If you want a faster car and can afford it buy an 'R'

why would you not want a Cupra with more power better brakes and better suspension.

I'm in a pretty good position as my mum has a 03 plate Cupra and I have an 03 plate Cupra-R, the way they drive is amazingly different, and to be honest LCR's are reasonably priced now, i prefer the LCR having done loads of miles in both, and I like the fact that to get to decent power it hasn't cost a lot whereas a LC would have been expensive. I only paid £1900 for my LCR it was stock with a shite map on it and loads of airleaks but full history, so they are out there for cheap money. It's horses for courses and down purely to personal preference.

Sprogpole

Jul 20, 2012
Leicester
But you can get a LC for £900. Cheaper insurance, cheaper tyres and stuff. If you want, put a £300 map on and you've got one hell of a car.

What else could you buy for about a grand that is as good at being a hot hatch as a LC is??

TBH, if I had LCR money to spend, I’d get a Cupra TDI. To my mind, it is the ideal balance of all aspects.

lmiller

Boost Junkie!
Aug 9, 2011
South East Kent
Just checked.. fitted as standard on 53/04/54 LCR's some 05's aswel but then it was a dealer option afterwards. Sorry for confusion.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

G-A

Feb 24, 2013
Norway
I guess you can not get LCR with four wheel drive.
I see four wheel drive as an advantage. It is also cheaper to get 225hp in a cupra then convert a LCR to awd ;)

G-A

Feb 24, 2013
Norway
There was a AWD Leon Cupra but only available in Europe not the UK. They are like gold dust and go for a lot of money!

Oh, not so often then. but UK are in still in Europe!!! oh my.. Why is it so? Is it because you have RHD cars?

I see here in Norway we got 11 1M Leons for sale at the moment, 5 of them got awd..

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Why has noone mentioned the interior? LCR vastly superior to the LC. Lovely stitched upholstery, some have nice Recaros and SatNav (hehe me). All black headlining and rear view mirror. Fold in wing mirrors.

LCR from the front looks more mean than 95% of cars on the road.

LC back has a better stance.

Brother in Law's LCR had different tinted windows to mine even though they both standard.