Cupra vs normal diff mode

silles

May 4, 2017
What is the difference between the 2 diff settings ( Cupra vs Normal)

I do not notice any while driving around
anyone could shed some light?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Good question. I've assumed it's more aggressive - so quicker to shift more power between each axle. But that's entirely a guess. I set it to Cupra in a custom mode because I think if you've got the diff then surely you want to use its most aggressive settings. It may be a placebo, but I feel like it can reduce torque steer when really pushing on at slower speeds.

Would be interested to hear if anyone knows precisely what it does though.

Deleted member 103408

according to the manual

Electronic self-locking differential2)
The self-locking differential adapts its behaviour depending on the driving profile chosen.
Normal mode or Cupra mode can be selected to prioritise improved traction in sport driving.

I have an older car but can change these settings via OBD11, What I notice when driving hard around twisty roads the Cupra Mode gives better traction control and I felt safer pushing the car harder.

Reactions: Rob66

silles

May 4, 2017
what I noticed is: in cupra diff the car is more likely to be pulled left/right on bad road surfaces.
it very noticeable while overtaking and crossing the middle line while flooring it, I almost crashed into the car next to me.

Deleted member 103408

Do you also have the steering on Cupra (so that its heavier and in theory and is easier to control the torque steer).

I have a modified car and have to say I do not find the problem with the car pulling me but that may be because I am very used to this setup and drive accordingly.

silles

May 4, 2017
Do you also have the steering on Cupra (so that its heavier and in theory and is easier to control the torque steer).

I have a modified car and have to say I do not find the problem with the car pulling me but that may be because I am very used to this setup and drive accordingly.

yes, steering is always in cupra, otherwise it's to soft ...
u get used to it i guess, it's just the first couple of times when u not prepared it gets u

cola

May 23, 2018
what I noticed is: in cupra diff the car is more likely to be pulled left/right on bad road surfaces.
it very noticeable while overtaking and crossing the middle line while flooring it, I almost crashed into the car next to me.

+1 to this

I hit a bump on the a34 earlier while talking to my partner and the car aggressively veered to the left. You need to be paying complete attention when the diff is in Cupra mode.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Not an issue I’ve found between normal / Cupra and I use all 375 horses on a regular basis. Tyres maybe influence it a lot? The biggest difference I’ve found with the diff in Cupra mode is that it tucks / tightens into a corner a lot more aggressively. That is obviously bad if you don’t expect the diff to behave that way but it is obviously a lot quicker around corners as it somewhat negates the tendency to run wide. As a side note, although everything else is in Cupra, I always have the suspension in comfort on bumpy / rutted roads, in fact, most of the time!

Reactions: LouG
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.