Cure for cracked manifolds?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I haven't heard any reports of failures with Ian's car that I recall.

I would imagine he was able to get everything resolved? If he needs some assistance I would be more than glad to find out what's going on.

studs broke, some warpage..
the cars been sold on since.

all got sorted by Awesome for him tho

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
That doesn't make sense. These guys over here have verified 4xwhp and 3xwtrq with a reduced spool of 300 rpm's. Its even unequivocally won 2 intake manifold shoot outs including just about every intake mani on the market.

Can you list your mods for me?

Keith if I remember rightly, the mods which APR used to show gains were the largeport manifold, 75mm throttle body, and porting the previously smallport cylinder head to largeport dimensions... and got a gain.

Not just manifold alone.

head was small port before
2 changes made..

I know on the 007 manifold I ran, I was previously largeport head, and the only thing changed was manifold & throttle body to R32 sized one (75mm) - 32bhp gains/22lbft bolt on on mine. Previous inlet manifold on mine was a dual plenum largeport on stock t'body.

Keith@APR

May 9, 2006
www.goapr.com
Keith if I remember rightly, the mods which APR used to show gains were the largeport manifold, 75mm throttle body, and porting the previously smallport cylinder head to largeport dimensions... and got a gain.

Not just manifold alone.

head was small port before
2 changes made..

I know on the 007 manifold I ran, I was previously largeport head, and the only thing changed was manifold & throttle body to R32 sized one (75mm) - 32bhp gains/22lbft bolt on on mine. Previous inlet manifold on mine was a dual plenum largeport on stock t'body.

Exactly. The intake manifold is sold with a throttle body, requires a runner match to the head and makes more power than any other comparable intake manifold used with the same configuration.

Put a 007 on a large port head with an R32 tb on a car with a 28r or larger turbo and our's will destroy it.

The 007 may make more power on a car with a tb smaller than a R32 or without a large port head or without a 28r or larger turbo, which is fine because we don't sell a comparable product for that configuration.

The APR intake manifold is not specified to be used with smaller throttle bodies, smaller ports than the intake mani runner size and turbo's smaller than a 28r. If you choose to use the intake mani without meeting these qualifications, there is no information, data or promises regarding the gains you could expect. Some people wanted to use it the way they wanted to use it and that's fine but you lose the opportunity of any power expectations unless you use the part as was intended, just like anything in life.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Exactly. The intake manifold is sold with a throttle body, requires a runner match to the head and makes more power than any other comparable intake manifold used with the same configuration.

Put a 007 on a large port head with an R32 tb on a car with a 28r or larger turbo and our's will destroy it.

The 007 may make more power on a car with a tb smaller than a R32 or without a large port head or without a 28r or larger turbo, which is fine because we don't sell a comparable product for that configuration.

The APR intake manifold is not specified to be used with smaller throttle bodies, smaller ports than the intake mani runner size and turbo's smaller than a 28r. If you choose to use the intake mani without meeting these qualifications, there is no information, data or promises regarding the gains you could expect. Some people wanted to use it the way they wanted to use it and that's fine but you lose the opportunity of any power expectations unless you use the part as was intended, just like anything in life.

you crack me up Keith
"yours will destroy it" LMAO - sorry but it wont and does'nt

Why do yanks always have to "destroy" the competition... :p

SEM any day of the week for me
Proven highest & most even flowing manifold available

The bolt on gains for your APR manifold and its R32 throttle body were NOT from the manifold alone, which is what your claims make people think.

What bolt on gains on an already largeport head did you see?
I know I saw a real 32bhp gain on 450bhp on my old 007/R32 body comparing largeport to largeport.. ;)

caney

Apr 24, 2005

fyi-my car
AUDI TT 420BHP/330FTLBS
HYBRID GARRETT GT30
LARGEPORT HEAD
EQUAL LENGTH MANIFOLD/3"DP WITH DE CAT
APR INLET MANIFOLD/R32 TB
i think you'll find these mods are sufficient to fully utilise the manifold;)
quote from my tuner"i'm sorry but this manifold has made very little difference to your car,ultimate power is from the turbo!i know of 2 other cars in the uk running similar set ups and both reported no gains as well:whistle:it looks nice but i'm sorry your claims of extra bhp are simply not true over here in the uk!off topic but i've also found that usa turbo companies claim over inflated bhp figures on their turbos,for e.g td05/20g will make 440bhp! as proven by many in the uk it will never do more than 375bhp-mine did 371@2 bar lol

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
inlet manifold flowbench tests from when 007 was available.. SEM exceeds the 007's performance
Intake_Manifold_Comparison.jpg

Keith@APR

May 9, 2006
www.goapr.com
you crack me up Keith
"yours will destroy it" LMAO - sorry but it wont and does'nt

Why do yanks always have to "destroy" the competition... :p

SEM any day of the week for me
Proven highest & most even flowing manifold available

The bolt on gains for your APR manifold and its R32 throttle body were NOT from the manifold alone, which is what your claims make people think.

What bolt on gains on an already largeport head did you see?
I know I saw a real 32bhp gain on 450bhp on my old 007/R32 body comparing largeport to largeport.. ;)

Our clients are seeing 40+ whp with our intake mani as supplied with our throttle body bolted and at a minimum port matched onto a 180 hp 1.8T with our Stage 3+ Turbo System and production ecu upgrade.

Here is a thread from vwvortex that relays the results of the first independant testing. This guy port matched his head on the intake side only with a dremel tool in his driveway.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2722000

The thread is old so the pics are gone but you can read about other posters applauding his results starting on page 6.

Here's a new thread by a client in Denmark.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=4533826
40+ whp with our intake mani, w/m and new spark plugs:

dynocomparison.jpg

And here you go! A direct comparison of the APR intake mani vs. the SEM mani that was swapped on the dyno and retested on a 3076R and Unitronic software:

2rogi1e.jpg

In the States, this information would be considered to "destroy" the competition's offering quite handily.

Last edited:

Keith@APR

May 9, 2006
www.goapr.com
inlet manifold flowbench tests from when 007 was available.. SEM exceeds the 007's performance
Intake_Manifold_Comparison.jpg

Nice chart and a great bit of misleading info to keep reposting to support the claims of the manufacturer but......

any automotive engineer worth his salt knows that flow is only the minimum design qualification for making power. Many, many other engineering principles come into play and this data means absolutely nothing regarding the results of the power delivery of a new intake design. The only thing this chart means is that we are able to allow that amount of air to pass through the intake mani's. It has no bearing on how that air is handled and managed for delivery to the combustion chambers which is where real intake tuning happens.

A 9" exhaust system will flow more than a 3" exhaust system but we all know a 9" exhaust would be way too big for our applications. Very similar properties at play regarding intake manifolds as well.

Keith@APR

May 9, 2006
www.goapr.com
fyi-my car
AUDI TT 420BHP/330FTLBS
HYBRID GARRETT GT30
LARGEPORT HEAD
EQUAL LENGTH MANIFOLD/3"DP WITH DE CAT
APR INLET MANIFOLD/R32 TB
i think you'll find these mods are sufficient to fully utilise the manifold;)
quote from my tuner"i'm sorry but this manifold has made very little difference to your car,ultimate power is from the turbo!i know of 2 other cars in the uk running similar set ups and both reported no gains as well:whistle:it looks nice but i'm sorry your claims of extra bhp are simply not true over here in the uk!off topic but i've also found that usa turbo companies claim over inflated bhp figures on their turbos,for e.g td05/20g will make 440bhp! as proven by many in the uk it will never do more than 375bhp-mine did 371@2 bar lol

To be honest, it sounds like your tuner hit a wall in the code and is blaming the intake mani.

I find it hard to believe that power leaks out of our products whilst they are on a plane to the UK. Check out the graphs and data I posted above.

Regarding the power ratings of turbochargers, we've managed to exceed Garrett Honeywell's ratings for the 28RS and 2871R rather dramatically.

I have no idea what that hybrid turbo you list is or where it comes from but as a rule we avoid custom turbo manufacturers and only support proven, trusted automotive engineering companies like Garrett/Honeywell and Borg Warner.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Nice chart and a great bit of misleading info to keep reposting to support the claims of the manufacturer but......

any automotive engineer worth his salt knows that flow is only the minimum design qualification for making power. Many, many other engineering principles come into play and this data means absolutely nothing regarding the results of the power delivery of a new intake design. The only thing this chart means is that we are able to allow that amount of air to pass through the intake mani's. It has no bearing on how that air is handled and managed for delivery to the combustion chambers which is where real intake tuning happens.

A 9" exhaust system will flow more than a 3" exhaust system but we all know a 9" exhaust would be way too big for our applications. Very similar properties at play regarding intake manifolds as well.

no smoke and mirrors keith... simple facts, simple flow bench results.... and yes i know full well a flow bench is not an engine.. ;)

on my own motor, bolt on gains of 32bhp/22lbft on my already largeport head from previous largeport inlet manifold (dual plenum) - unlike APRs claimed gains which was ported head + manifold + 75mm tbody

simple facts.
worked for me
SEM works well for me now also.. 8 injectors, 80mm tbody.. works a treat.

Last edited:

Keith@APR

May 9, 2006
www.goapr.com
no smoke and mirrors keith... simple facts, simple flow bench results.... and yes i know full well a flow bench is not an engine.. ;)

on my own motor, bolt on gains of 32bhp/22lbft on my already largeport head from previous largeport inlet manifold (dual plenum) - unlike APRs claimed gains which was ported head + manifold + 75mm tbody

simple facts.
worked for me
SEM works well for me now also.. 8 injectors, 80mm tbody.. works a treat.

Cool, cool. It seems we are on the same page.

My point is that our intake mani does make power, makes more power than the SEM and is a great product when installed and used as it should be. The direct dyno compare of the SEM and APR is pretty good data and proves my point.

Same car, same HOUR, same dyno, same head, same t.b. APR FTW!:D

To be honest, I don't care what other intakes make on small port heads, t.b.'s that aren't similar in size to a R32 or on cars with small turbos as that is in no way a direct comparison to our's.

When a direct comparison is made, our's works best, hands down.

Flow bench results be damned, the shoot out we are talking about is APR vs. all other intakes on a port matched, R32 or comparable t.b. equipped, big turbo 1.8T. Sure the SEM and others may out perform the APR if configured differently than this but that's not what we are selling.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Regarding the power ratings of turbochargers, we've managed to exceed Garrett Honeywell's ratings for the 28RS and 2871R rather dramatically.

Garrett base there turbochargers rating on a standard efficiency of a turbocharged engine .When using race fuel the efficiency is greatly increased and thats why you're making over there claims.?Your figures on 91/93 fuel will be closer to the garrett rating.

Keith@APR

May 9, 2006
www.goapr.com
Garrett base there turbochargers rating on a standard efficiency of a turbocharged engine .When using race fuel the efficiency is greatly increased and thats why you're making over there claims.?Your figures on 91/93 fuel will be closer to the garrett rating.

We've accomplished 363whp on a 1.8T with a GT28RS on pump gas, no meth, e85 (it was before e85 was even available). A conservative drivetrain calculation back to bhp would put that at 400bhp.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Flow bench results be damned, the shoot out we are talking about is APR vs. all other intakes on a port matched, R32 or comparable t.b. equipped, big turbo 1.8T. Sure the SEM and others may out perform the APR if configured differently than this but that's not what we are selling.

thing is I dont believe you keith ;)

largeport SEM on 80mm tbody vs APR on 75mm tbody on a 400whp+ car

SEM is what I rank higher personally.

each to their own.. your hardly going to not promote APR products are you.. lol [B)]

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise