Custom Intake Manifold

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
I'm buying for looks more than anything, awesome looking part! It will be interesting to see the results as I don't think anyone has posted about these in great detail, maybe because they are not that much better or worse than the pd inlet manifolds.

I've heard mixed reviews about these style of manifold but its always good to try and see what gives.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Saying big power is one thing but components for intake and exhaust will be tuned for optimum power development at a specified rev point/range. One example is a four into two into one versus a straight four into one exhaust manifold. The first one trends more towards torque production and the second towards power production. This is what I've heard although I'm sure that any time soon someone is going to remind me that bhp is a result or product of torque multiplied by rpm. Perphaps not the exact mathematical communication of this observation but it's been another long fence staining day.:D

I've also read of exhaust (I know it's an intake manifold) manifolds that are high flow having strange pulse phenomenon interfering with the engines running.

The moto that I always heard for diesels was more air and more fuel is the way to go but I'm thinking that some of the tuning aspects for petrol engines with regards to exhausts and intake plenums may be applicable.

Last edited:

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Saying big power is one thing but components for intake and exhaust will be tuned for optimum power development at a specified rev point/range. One example is a four into two into one versus a straight four into one exhaust manifold. The first one trends more towards torque production and the second towards power production. This is what I've heard although I'm sure that any time soon someone is going to remind me that bhp is a result or product of torque multiplied by rpm. Perphaps not the exact mathematical communication of this observation but it's been another long fence staining day.:D

I've also read of exhaust (I know it's an intake manifold) manifolds that are high flow having strange pulse phenomenon interfering with the engines running.

The moto that I always heard for diesels was more air and more fuel is the way to go but I'm thinking that some of the tuning aspects for petrol engines with regards to exhausts and intake plenums may be applicable.

Yeah to be honest I'm not sure whether I'm going to gain anything but a bit of smoothness in how the engine runs or it will lose power. I'm sure many people haven't talked much about these manifolds for a reason, probably because they don't do anything to improve over the original.

The manufacturer however states that gains of up to 15% are to be had though, so I suppose I won't know till I try it for myself!

Cheers for the info, if anyone else has experience of these manifolds let me know!!

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Manifold has arrived! Not finished as well as I'd hoped but that's what you get for cheap!

Please see below for some photos, comments???

Hopefully fit it this evening, weather permitting!

Thanks,

S10EAT

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
It hasn't got very good beading on the end where the turbo charge pipe connects to. I don't like the design of how the smaller pipes intersect the larger diameter pipe.

You will need a new manifold gasket upon fitting it up and I'd check for levelness across the ports that are going to attach to the head to give you an idea if there is the possibility of gapping before you start.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Well Majesty, I happen to agree with you, not only is it not made well it doesn't fit with the standard TIP!! And I would need another silicone 90 degree pipe to join to the intake.

I'm going to sell it with the thinking that someone could re-weld/smooth and then use for a custom build.

One thing I did notice in taking my PD150 Inlet manifold off is that I had 5 out of 6 allen bolts in!!! :think: So not sure where that has been since I've had the car, and could explain why I'm losing a few mpg at the moment.

Majesty do you reckon these large plenum inlet manifolds are a waste of time or are they really only useful when running much bigger power, say 300 plus?

Cheers,

prodrive2

the collector of the image is a copy of my job, I tried it a while and I saw no difference

prodrive2

ydajedyb.jpg

Apr 13, 2011
hull
That inlet manifold on a standerd turbo will make no diffrance at all plus tobehonest with you the pipes not joining flush onto the top one peice tube not bein flush could give some very poor movement of air causeing a turbalnce type affect in the top tube.

Tobehonest it looks very very poorly made and in affect to power I belive due to it design it will cause a power loss rather than a gain.asspecially if your running a standerd turbo due to it can only make x ammount of air flow things like that are more required at 260+ bhp and not requires for power more for smoothness of air flow and engineong running

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Thanks for the responses guys, your expertise as always is appreciated.

I've decided to return it, one its not made very well at all and two in his listing it didn't mention anywhere about needing a custom tip and silicone hose for the inlet.

Cheers,

S10EAT

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.