custom licence plates

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
looking to get a set for my mk4 FR, was wondering where other members got theirs from? found a few place on the internet.....that looked reasonable.

was wondering the legality of different fonts? is the only legal font the standard UK font?

cheers

Cupra_Jay

Orange Wheels FTW!!
Oct 25, 2006
Pub!!
technically yes, the only font your allowed on your number plates is the standard font that everyone else has on theres.

I (as do a few others) have euro style plates on their ibizas, and personally speaking, ive had mine on my car since August 2007 and not had a single problem with them from the old bill.

I think as long as the font that you've chosen is still easily legible and not some stupid italic curly writing that is completely un readable you shouldnt have a problem. best bet is to keep a set of standard numberplates in your car incase you do get pulled by the police that you can change them over easily

hope that makes some sense!!

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
yea makes perfect sense....was looking at getting domed 3d font, not a big fan of the italic style anyway...do you have white plates front and back or a yellow back plate? where did you get yours from?

what are euro style plates? sorry for all the questions?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
technically yes, the only font your allowed on your number plates is the standard font that everyone else has on theres.

I (as do a few others) have euro style plates on their ibizas, and personally speaking, ive had mine on my car since August 2007 and not had a single problem with them from the old bill.

I think as long as the font that you've chosen is still easily legible and not some stupid italic curly writing that is completely un readable you shouldnt have a problem. best bet is to keep a set of standard numberplates in your car incase you do get pulled by the police that you can change them over easily

hope that makes some sense!!

cheers for reply, seen the euro style it looks great, found a good website think its the plateman.com? that selld them with GB and the EU stars for about 30 quid....however it does say its illegal to have them....but as you say unless it has horrendous font then the police may not bother....will carry the originals in the car anyway

nam

May 29, 2007
Northwest
i had Euro one's on my car for the past 2 and a half years, got pulled twice last week and given a £30 fine each time :( also have a small front plate, take a look in my thread

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
i had Euro one's on my car for the past 2 and a half years, got pulled twice last week and given a £30 fine each time :( also have a small front plate, take a look in my thread

oh no that aint good!

yea found a place on dubmeister near me that does uk legal ones for 35 a set.....so gonna get them!

wondering whether or not i should get the GB and EU bit on them tho?

ur car looks great as well, just been reading through ur thread

im slowly getting there with my mods.....only got chrome gear surrounds and aerial so far hahahaha

but got ice installation coming soon and a p-torque remap

Aimez

Surely if you carry the proper plates in your bot its obvious you know what you are doing is illegal therefore they are much less likely to get a slap on the wrist?!
Silly lad at my work had a italic front plates looks so obvious and stupid on his chavvy SAxo we all explained to him if he gets done he may have points on his brand new driving license and his insurance will go thought the roof and be closer to a ban than people not in their probation period. He says who cares.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
went to a place i found locally at lunch on this site http://www.dubmeister.co.uk
and order my new plates. Had to show my log and a form of ID, he assured me they were legal, so gonna take his word for it. He said they comply with the BSAU145d, cheers for all the advice tho

/

andycupra

status subject to change
went to a place i found locally at lunch on this site http://www.dubmeister.co.uk
and order my new plates. Had to show my log and a form of ID, he assured me they were legal, so gonna take his word for it. He said they comply with the BSAU145d, cheers for all the advice tho

/

these plates and the legality of them were questioned in the the thread below and dubmeister were great regarding this. have a read and im sure it will show they went to a fair bit of trouble to make these legal:

(sadly for you they also give an SCN discount - or did at the time)
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174154

post #25 will cover what you want / need to know.

Last edited:

Aimez

I remember that thread I want them pressed plated but they are no where near me and I'm not keen on sending my docs through the post. I should ask if they accept photocopies faxed through my work do when they makes plates but then they know most of the drivers.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
I remember that thread I want them pressed plated but they are no where near me and I'm not keen on sending my docs through the post. I should ask if they accept photocopies faxed through my work do when they makes plates but then they know most of the drivers.

cheers for the post, will have a look now! Re: photocopies, i dont think they accept them, i know what you mean i would never send my original copies throught the post, im lucky enough to work on the same road as someone that sells the pressed euro plates sold by dubmeister

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
these plates and the legality of them were questioned in the the thread below and dubmeister were great regarding this. have a read and im sure it will show they went to a fair bit of trouble to make these legal:

(sadly for you they also give an SCN discount - or did at the time)
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174154

post #25 will cover what you want / need to know.

cheers mate for that, great thread, confirms everything i have read on them.....havent paid for them yet as got give them my V5 tomorrow to get the details of the car.....so hopefully can wangle the discount, could save myself a tenner or so...

:)

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
The only plates that are legal are the standard font. nything else and you COULD get pulled and end up with a £30 fine. That said, the government are trying to push through a change in the law that means instead of a £30 and no points you'll get £60 and 3 points fornumber plate offences.

It applies to euro plates too (they ARE illegal) and especially mis spacing of letters and numbers

this site says it all...

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf104.pdf

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
taken from correspondence from paul from dubmeister who supply euro plates...which are UK legal
Thanks to andy cupra for finding the thread!

Our plates have been developed with a large plate manufacturer that supplies for example official Netherlands plates and serves other countries and manufactures to many differing standards world wide.. They don't have to be tested by BSI, just be designed to comply, and actually comply if tested, and this is what we have done.

The BSAU 145d regulation has been finely gone through by our manufacturer and relevant sections have be exceeded or met, including a section specifically designed to exclude metal plates, which necessitated a subtle exclusive redesign of the metal base plate and different material to 'regular' Euro show plates, as well as altered letter tooling and lastly permanent laser marking of supplier info and maker info and the standard they are made to.

They have been fully tested by our manufacturer and pre tested against the BS145d standard by the German DIN institute – (in case any major flaws we hadn’t picked up on), who have set up testing environments for BSAU145d now, are testing and will award a certificate to this effect on completion.

We are fully satisfied they comply or exceed BSAU145d and have been told by a British Standards institute they can be marked as such if we are sure they comply by cross referencing DIN regs that duplicate/exceed sections of BS145d and amendments we have made, and they offered additional help if we needed, which we don't.

No UK authority has the knowledge or means to test plates other than British Standard Institute. No Police or local authority can challenge a user as they are marked correctly as to comply, and that’s the end of it as far as prosecution of the user.
If they want to test them they would have to send off to BSI and pay the £6000 to £15,000 fee...and result would be they pass anyway.

Our dealers/suppliers take proper relevant driver/vehicle ID which is a major part of plates being legal, correct lettering and physical plate spec alone is not sufficient as prevention of vehicle cloning is probably the main issue in 'illegal' plates and prosecutions.

So, we welcome any test to disprove our claim, which is that they do 100% fully comply when supplied by a DVLA registered licence plate supplier.

check out their website as well, it shows the leagility process and what is required to make them legal

cheers

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members