Custom Rev Limiter / Popcorn map / Launch Control

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
Is anyone running either of the above?

As well as preventing people over revving the engine i think they sound awesome with an aftermarket exhaust as well.

Had a few questions though.

Any problems with the MOT emissions? Not sure how the machine would act with the rev limit bouncing as they bring it to max revs.

Any reasons not to have one done? Does it cause turbo to fail quickly or any other problems?

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Never heard of it on a diesel. The mot doesn't measure emissions on a diesel. Turbo wear? The turbo doesn't make boost when the engine is revved and the car is static but it probably would put a good bit of a load on it when you launch. Aggressive starts would probably incur a large/rapid transition of load conditions on the turbo components. It's hard to say how much more of a loading it would give it compared to just giving it the beans in a car with no launch control.

Hardcore

Diesel lover
Jul 31, 2013
West Scotland
When they do the diesel emissions test (when i say that i really mean the smoke density test) they rev the engine to the max rpm for a brief moment to get a reading then let the revs fall.

With launch control, the revs won't usually breach 3000rpm whilst in neutral, depending on how it's been set up so not sure how that would effect the test.

I'm not one for fast starts often but would be nice to have launch control if possible as some companies can add it in with a regular remap for free and i deffo want a remap.

TDI Launch control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6O5bH6aG-4

Popcorn limiter was the one i was wondering if it could cause any damage to anything as it uses an aggresive fuel cut out to work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07LJs6Eq58

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
When they do the diesel emissions test (when i say that i really mean the smoke density test) they rev the engine to the max rpm for a brief moment to get a reading then let the revs fall.

With launch control, the revs won't usually breach 3000rpm whilst in neutral, depending on how it's been set up so not sure how that would effect the test.

I'm not one for fast starts often but would be nice to have launch control if possible as some companies can add it in with a regular remap for free and i deffo want a remap.

TDI Launch control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6O5bH6aG-4

Popcorn limiter was the one i was wondering if it could cause any damage to anything as it uses an aggresive fuel cut out to work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07LJs6Eq58

The emissions test must be something in England. They don't do it over here incase they damage the engine and someone takes them to the cleaners.

I would only give it a hard start when I have to but when I do it's the full chat, no holding back. I can't see it doing any more damage over the wear from the aggressive start that is already in place during a standard aggressive start.

I torque limiter in a map for 1st and 2nd gear would be nice. I had a 110bhp mk1 leon with bigger injectors and tuning box with 165bhp and 384nm of torque and getting offside in the wet was a delicate operation. 0-60 also took another 1.4 sec in the wet. It had a standard open diff so quaife lsd would have helped but launch would definitely help.

My leon was hard pressed to see the rev limiter in 2nd but the mates custom build tdi with custom map seen 6000 rpm and made usable power out to 5500 rpm.

TALBOTL

Aug 2, 2011
Derbyshire
I looked briefly into it and don't do it, your clutch and turbo will both be destroyed within a very short period of time (weeks not months) not too mention a whole lot of engine problems. Stay well away

smokeyjoe

Apr 6, 2009
n.ireland boy :)
No harm caused to the turbo or engine I dunno we're you were reading that from I've done this to a few of my own vehicles and my first boras been running popcorn and lauch control for over a year now with no problems covered over 20k miles

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.